Chapala.com Webboard

Wheat flour

conejorapido

I haven't seen all-purpose white wheat flour in Morelia's supermarkets for over a month.  The municipal market near my home has it, though--same brand that I always buy, packaged in a factory-packed, factory-labeled plastic bag rather than in the paper packaging as it's sold when available at a supermarket.  You might try the Chapala market, if there's a vendor who sells dried chiles, beans, rice, and other dry goods.

27 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I have found, in the past, that anything not in a sealed plastic bag develops "wildlife" after a while...

I place flour, grits, corn meal and the like in the freezer for a few days to kill any inhabitants or their eggs.

On 4/23/2020 at 12:38 PM, AngusMactavish said:

I place flour, grits, corn meal and the like in the freezer for a few days to kill any inhabitants or their eggs.

Freezing them doesn't kill them, it just slows them down.

3 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

Freezing them doesn't kill them, it just slows them down.

"Freeze the flour. As soon as you bring flour home, seal it inside a freezer bag and put it in the freezer for at least 1 week. This will kill any eggs or weevils that are already in the flour. You can then take the flour out and store it in your pantry in an airtight, hard container or just keep it in the freezer until you need it."

https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Weevils-(Flour-Bugs)

19 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

"Freeze the flour. As soon as you bring flour home, seal it inside a freezer bag and put it in the freezer for at least 1 week. This will kill any eggs or weevils that are already in the flour. You can then take the flour out and store it in your pantry in an airtight, hard container or just keep it in the freezer until you need it."

https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Weevils-(Flour-Bugs)

You got me on this one.  Must have missed the question when I took my food services test.  We never had problems with weevils, we just put black pepper in our flour.  Sometimes people questioned why there was black pepper in their pie crust and cake!