Chapala.com Webboard

Face masks mandatory April 20

sm1mex

15 hours ago, Alli said:

When I go to Lakeside, I'm blown away by the number of people not wearing masks, GRINGOS included! We've had to wear them for four weeks, or has it been four years, or maybe four decades?

15 minutes ago, Alli said:

Close, yet so far away . . . I prefer not to say where I live. But I feel safer here than Lakeside.

I asked because I wasn't aware of any Mexican area having mandatory mask-wearing for the past four weeks.  Just curious about where that is.

1 minute ago, Bisbee Gal said:

I asked because I wasn't aware of any Mexican area having mandatory mask-wearing for the past four weeks.  Just curious about that.

Masks have been required here for about four weeks. One person at a time in stores, not many people out and about, fines for not wearing masks in public -- I go to Lakeside (not very often) and I don't see many people wearing masks and lots of people are out on the streets. We weren't wearing masks because we felt like others needed them more, but we're sporting some now! Rocking with the masks . . .

14 hours ago, MtnMama said:

You said it yourself, not me. Yes the masks are more comfortable, but they do NOT block virus from entering the air when the person wearing the mask exhales. This from San Francisco Public Health.

14 hours ago, MtnMama said:

You said it yourself, not me. Yes the masks are more comfortable, but they do NOT block virus from entering the air when the person wearing the mask exhales. This from San Francisco Public Health.

I was not referring to masks with a vent in the front but rather those on the side. You were not at all specific in your original post. Notice the source you quoted says with a valve of the front. Nor does your source refer to masks that are rated as N95. I qualified my post by saying SOME OF THE BEST N95 masks. Why do you think we would be asked to leave N95 masks for use my medical professionals if some of them aren’t any good?

By just tossing generalizations out there you are spreading bad information. You are the same person that was encouraging people to go to the “organic market” a short while ago. Now you’re an expert on how to stay safe. Really? Do you even know what an N95 or a KN95 mask is?

• Like 2

I'm just glad pants aren't mandatory yet😀

The Taneytown Maryland Police Department issued a public plea on Facebook on Tuesday, hoping that their status update will scare the pants on the scofflaws. 

"Please remember to put pants on before leaving the house to check your mailbox," The department simply reminded.  "You know who you are. This is your final warning." So, be kind in these trying times.  Wear pants.  Your local police will thank you.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, JRPJR said:

I was not referring to masks with a vent in the front but rather those on the side. You were not at all specific in your original post. Notice the source you quoted says with a valve of the front. Nor does your source refer to masks that are rated as N95. I qualified my post by saying SOME OF THE BEST N95 masks. Why do you think we would be asked to leave N95 masks for use my medical professionals if some of them aren’t any good?

By just tossing generalizations out there you are spreading bad information. You are the same person that was encouraging people to go to the “organic market” a short while ago. Now you’re an expert on how to stay safe. Really? Do you even know what an N95 or a KN95 mask is?

I was making a generalization that masks purchased by the vast majority of people for our own use, not those who thought they were more important than medical professionals and first responders.

And yes, I am still encouraging people who want to buy safe healthy food to go to the Tuesday Farmers Market. Small businesses and local farmers providing healthy alternatives. They are doing an excellent job - only allowing a few people in at a time, everybody with masks, good distancing, lots of disinfectant....

1 hour ago, MtnMama said:

I was making a generalization that masks purchased by the vast majority of people for our own use, not those who thought they were more important than medical professionals and first responders.

And yes, I am still encouraging people who want to buy safe healthy food to go to the Tuesday Farmers Market. Small businesses and local farmers providing healthy alternatives. They are doing an excellent job - only allowing a few people in at a time, everybody with masks, good distancing, lots of disinfectant....

The Tuesday Market is no different from other outlets selling food. As long as they and the customers are following safe practices there is no problem. I would only disagree that it is the only place to buy safe, healthy food.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Xena said:

The Tuesday Market is no different from other outlets selling food. As long as they and the customers are following safe practices there is no problem. I would only disagree that it is the only place to buy safe, healthy food.

Sorry, I didn't mean it is the only place. I like the convenience of buying produce, bread, meat, cheese and pre-made foods all in one place.

• Like 1

The police are patrolling Ajijic, stoping anyone with out mask on, they stopped in front of my casa I was in doorway with my face mask on , they wanted to know if my gallery was open I told them I am waiting for delivery, they were very nice, just then the delivery came, guy with face mask and gloves, the police went on their merry way, I am glad they are doing these checks...

m

• Like 2

I went out today to do a couple necessary errands and nearly everyone I saw, mostly Mexicans, were wearing their masks.  Also some businesses have signs in English and Spanish that you can't enter and/or they can't serve you unless you are wearing a mask.  Good!!!  Some people still don't understand the dire necessity of complying with these regs.  Keep up with the real news, some of it will be shocking, what they are finding out about CV.   it's not going to magically go away, all we can do at this point is to prevent the spread by all means necessary.  If you don't already know what "being ahead of the curve" means, find out!  

On 4/20/2020 at 7:47 AM, crynoutloud said:

Don't quote me but 99.9% of corno deaths are people over 60.

i'm quoting you to let you know you are incorrrect.  The majority of CV deaths are over 60, but there is also a sizable minority younger than that and yes there are babies and children dying as well, sadly.  The major risk factors are obesity, heart disease, and diabetes at any age!   I also just read an article today that said that doctors and hospitals are finding a strange range of symptoms and effects in elderly patients.   The major news outlets that require subscriptions are allowing free reading of all CV related news, so inform yourself of the pertinent FACTS.

BTW, I am glad to be living where the local and state governments are doing a very good job of keeping the CV death rate low, at least hear in the Chapala area where no CV deaths have been yet reported.  However, remember that all the CV statistics are low because most places, like Mexico and the USA do not have adequate testing, and many people die of CV at home and are not officially counted.  Bottom line, it is worse than you think,not to fear monger, just to inform.  This is nothing to take a casual attitude towards if you value your live and that of those around you.

Kudos to Moy and Alfaro for staying on top of this huge problem and keeping out the GDL tourists from our area - that is where the greatest number of CV cases are.

On 4/20/2020 at 7:47 AM, crynoutloud said:

Don't quote me but 99.9% of corno deaths are people over 60.

i'm quoting you to let you know you are incorrrect.  The majority of CV deaths are over 60, but there is also a sizable minority younger than that and yes there are babies and children dying as well, sadly.  The major risk factors are obesity, heart disease, and diabetes at any age!   I also just read an article today that said that doctors and hospitals are finding a strange range of symptoms and effects in elderly patients.   The major news outlets that require subscriptions are allowing free reading of all CV related news, so inform yourself of the pertinent FACTS.

BTW, I am glad to be living where the local and state governments are doing a very good job of keeping the CV death rate low, at least hear in the Chapala area where no CV deaths have been yet reported.  However, remember that all the CV statistics are low because most places, like Mexico and the USA do not have adequate testing, and many people die of CV at home and are not officially counted.  Bottom line, it is worse than you think,not to fear monger, just to inform.  This is nothing to take a casual attitude towards if you value your live and that of those around you.

Kudos to Moy and Alfaro for staying on top of this huge problem and keeping out the GDL tourists from our area - that is where the greatest number of CV cases are.

And the other thing is they are finding there are a lot of asymptomatic carriers out there.  That is typical of flu type viruses as well and helps to explain why more aren't tested.  

In healthy populations the death rate among younger people is overall low but not completely predictable by age or health.  There's definitely something going on here that goes beyond the normal reaction of healthy people to colds or flu.  Good discussion of that here.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/4/8/21207269/covid-19-coronavirus-risk-factors

Unfortunately too many younger people in Mexico are seriously obese and have diabetes or other complications from bad diet and health practices which really compounds the problem for the country as a whole.  Hence the death rate among the young is quite high when, for example, contrasted with a South Korea or Canada.  The U.S. falls somewhere in the middle.  Way too many obese people up there as well. 

The U.S. and Mexico regularly fight it out for the dubious distinction of which country is the fattest.  Fat shaming may need to be brought back in the interests of public health.  :D 

MC, your comparison would mean so much more if you had compared the U.S. and Mexico to a country that is doing really well after squandering the first two months. I don't know of any such country. South Korea and Canada took things seriously from the start and are seeing the benefits now. It isn't all about fat.

16 hours ago, ezpz said:

Nit pic on this. 88% of people put on respirators die. Mortality displacement. We of the older population have weakened immune systems. The thymus gland, which produces t cell antibodies to fight infections shrinks up after puberty and is not function very well after 60. This baby goes after the lungs vs the stomach. I saw a new interesting trial where a combination of 2 drugs are neutralized and put through the respirator. A blood thinner and antioxidant. Hope it works.

13 hours ago, mattoleriver said:

MC, your comparison would mean so much more if you had compared the U.S. and Mexico to a country that is doing really well after squandering the first two months. I don't know of any such country. South Korea and Canada took things seriously from the start and are seeing the benefits now. It isn't all about fat.

Obesity is a biggie:

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid19-obesity-risk-factor

As part of the COVID-19 response team at O’Connor Hospital in San Jose, Calif., Nivedita Lakhera wasn’t prepared to see her intensive care unit filled with so many young patients. Many of those patients had no medical condition other than obesity.

“They are young and coming to the ER and just dropping dead,” she says.

Age, particularly those over 65, as well as having a compromised immune system are still major risk factors for being hospitalized with, and dying from, COVID-19. But some doctors say that some of their sickest patients are those under 60 who are obese.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s list of high-risk individuals includes the severely obese, defined as people with a body mass index, or BMI, over 40. While studies on coronavirus often focus on demographic breakdowns such as age, sex and race (SN: 4/10/20), some now are starting to track COVID-19 patient BMIs.  

For instance, of 180 patients hospitalized from March 1 to March 30, the most prevalent underlying condition for adults ages 18 to 49 was obesity. Of 39 patients in that age range, 23, or 59 percent, were obese, researchers report in the April 17 Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

“BMI is the Achilles’ heel for American patients,” says Jennifer Lighter, an epidemiologist at New York University’s Langone School of Medicine. That could be a crucial factor in the death toll, particularly for those under 60, she says. “In China it was smoking and pollution, and Italy had a larger older population, and many grandparents lived with extended families. Here, it’s BMI that’s the issue.” 

1 hour ago, mattoleriver said:

In those two months that U.S. officials denied, downplayed and dithered the people just got fatter. Okay, obesity is not good either.

The biggest Government lie of this century was you don't have to wear face-masks. Don't wear face-masks. Face-masks  will hurt you. All of a sudden its mandatory to wear face-masks.

Look the mistake all governments made was saying not to wear N95 masks or masks  period.  They should have said save the N95 masks for health care folks and make a home made mask out of whatever household materials.   We all should have been wearing some kind of face covering since day one.  Folks who can't stand to have a mask on I have been wearing one for four weeks and after a week you get use to it and I taught myself to not touch my face also.  Now is the time to get use to wearing a mask.  Please.

1 hour ago, lcscats said:

Look the mistake all governments made was saying not to wear N95 masks or masks  period.  They should have said save the N95 masks for health care folks and make a home made mask out of whatever household materials.   We all should have been wearing some kind of face covering since day one.  Folks who can't stand to have a mask on I have been wearing one for four weeks and after a week you get use to it and I taught myself to not touch my face also.  Now is the time to get use to wearing a mask.  Please.

Yes, agreed.

Anecdotally, this week when I walked east from Ajijic Centro to El Torito, mask usage (mandatory since Monday) was roughly 85% yesterday across all age groups for both expats and locals.  But today walking west from my home into Seis Esquinas, the usage rate was abysmal.  Walked by 20+ people and only 2 wearing masks.  Seis Esquinas is more a working class community for those of you not familiar with it.

At least 3x a day I hear the police trucks playing the announcement that masks are required as they drive by my house towards Seis Esquinas.  I think they need to do more than just drive by...maybe a little lecture and hand out some masks?? 

It was mostly 20-30 somethings who weren't masked, but also a number of people in their tercera edad.

4 hours ago, mattoleriver said:

In those two months that U.S. officials denied, downplayed and dithered the people just got fatter. Okay, obesity is not good either.

This is a Mexico board.  What do you think about the Mexican Federal response?  I recall they had a massive public gathering over there in Mexico City well after the seriousness of the outbreak was known and subsequently that has become the epicenter of CV in Mexico.

2 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

This is a Mexico board.  What do you think about the Mexican Federal response?  I recall they had a massive public gathering over there in Mexico City well after the seriousness of the outbreak was known and subsequently that has become the epicenter of CV in Mexico.

Luckily the Governor of Jalisco is much smarter than the mayor of Mexico City or AMLO for that matter.  I guess that states my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

Without a doubt AMLO's (non) response was awful.  Telling people to go about their normal way of life, hugging people and kissing kids in the streets as he showed off his milagros and magic amulets, including a US 2 dollar bill, that he said would ward off the virus.  Cringe-worthy.  

Alfaro stepped up pretty quickly.  Reading his FB page going back beyond the virus, he's progressive, well-read, knowledgeable and interested in a lot of issues, including environmental as well as worker rights.  His handling of the virus in Jalisco could propel him to run nationally, but that was likely always his plan as he seems to be a very aggressive politician.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

And the other thing is they are finding there are a lot of asymptomatic carriers out there.  That is typical of flu type viruses as well and helps to explain why more aren't tested.  

This is why broad random representative testing must be done, as much and as fast, as possible.    Need to pin down the geographics and the incidence level of the asymptomatic carriers.