Chapala.com Webboard

No $1,200.00 stimulus if your spouse is not a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident.

I have read this on another site, i don't understand the reasoning for this. I would not expect the person ( spouse )with no a social security number but only a tax id    number to not receive the stimulus but  the person holding  a legitimate s s number and filing a income form that I disagree with ! I will wait a see i have no other option.

It is for "residents" of the USA to stimulate spending. If a spouse does not have green card or SS number than they are not qualified because they are not a "resident".  Resident is defined as someone who has the  right to live in the USA. 

If you have children on your tax return as claimed as dependents they would have a SS number. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Out1 said:

Wow, the check is for US residents, not non-residents; if your spouse is a non-resident you are probably are a non-resident as well.

No politics just common sense.

Are you saying that if you marry a non resident ( who by the way is eligible to receive SS payments after your passing ) you lose US residency ? I don't think the IRS/Treasury applies rules because of "probably"

Unfortunately it is true.  "Mixed Status" families are being excluded in this stimulus go around.  If you and your spouse filed a joint tax return, you with a SSN and her with a TIN, the entire family is ineligible for the payment.  If you haven't filed yet, only file for yourself and the kids (if they have SSN's).  Hopefully they will correct this if there should be another stimulus package.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment-frequently-asked-questions#elig

Eligibility and General Information

Use tab to go to the next focusable element

U.S. residents will receive the Economic Impact Payment of $1,200 for individual or head of household filers, and $2,400 for married filing jointly if they are not a dependent of another taxpayer and have a work eligible Social Security number with adjusted gross income up to:

• $75,000 for individuals
  • $112,500 for head of household filers and
  • $150,000 for married couples filing joint returns

Taxpayers will receive a reduced payment if their AGI is between:

• $75,000 and $99,000 if their filing status was single or married filing separately
  • 112,500 and $136,500 for head of household
  • $150,000 and $198,000 if their filing status was married filing jointly

The amount of the reduced payment will be based upon the taxpayers specific adjusted gross income.

Eligible retirees and recipients of Social Security, Railroad Retirement, disability or veterans' benefits as well as taxpayers who do not make enough money to normally have to file a tax return will receive a payment. This also includes those who have no income, as well as those whose income comes entirely from certain benefit programs, such as Supplemental Security Income benefits.

Retirees who receive either Social Security retirement or Railroad Retirement benefits will also receive payments automatically.

... but later on they say, under who is NOT eligible,  "they who are a Nonresident ALIEN". And they talk about 'taxpayers' being eligible.  

If not physically 'residing'... as in Non-Resident... is really a criteria then they are going to have to get a bunch of deposits/checks back. Think that will happen?

12 minutes ago, .Colibri. said:

Unfortunately it is true.  "Mixed Status" families are being excluded in this stimulus go around.  If you and your spouse filed a joint tax return, you with a SSN and her with a TIN, the entire family is ineligible for the payment.  If you haven't filed yet, only file for yourself and the kids (if they have SSN's).  Hopefully they will correct this if there should be another stimulus package.

That is my intention i haven't filed for 2019 so I will be doing that soon can't hurt hmm now I know why I have been procrastinating about filing 

• Like 1

Nonsense. There is nothing on the IRS website stating such a condition. There is a statement saying "non-resident aliens" are not eligible, but that does not change the status of a US citizen spouse. And there is no condition that one be a US resident. I am a US citizen with a permanente here, and my wife and I already received our stimulus checks.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment-frequently-asked-questions

13 hours ago, phil in mexico said:

I agree with part of your statement but I as a taxpayer and on social security i should be  entitle to the stimulus money ( for me only ) i filed a joint return with my mexican wife  in 2018 and paid some tax. I understand no stimulus for her but I think that should not disqualify from receiving 1200. dollars

You are not disqualified unless you renounced your citizenship you are a legal US resident.

10 hours ago, fordtruckman said:

The first two words:

"U.S. residents"

Not U.S. Citizens.

All US citizens are US residents. They only loose that if they renounce their citizenship. That is why US citizens must pay income tax no matter where they reside.

And green card holders are also Residents.

The referrence to "resident" means anyone who has the legal right to live in the USA on a permanent basis.

• Like 1