Chapala.com Webboard

Road blocks and police checks?

I live in the ajijic area but mostly I pet and house sit which all canceled of course, so I'm hunkering down in Puerto Vallarta at the beach. Things are not nearly as restrictive as I'm hearing about there so I'm concerned about getting back in but that probably won't be until June 1st. I heard about road checks with the police...  I've searched all over online and if you could enlighten me or refer me to any links I would really appreciate it. I plan on taking a primera plus bus to Guadalajara and then Uber to Ajijic. if I'm forced to I'll do an Uber the entire way. Going to pet sit starting June 1st and he's planning to drive to California but do you think that would even be permitted and either country? He is a permanent resident of Mexico now. Muchas gracias!

FYI If anyone does need to do a long distance bus trip ever, primera plus has the option of a single seat in the back on each side so you're not sitting next to anyone and it's right near the bathroom which is convenient.

All roads into the area are blocked.

You will be asked to show proof of residency. If you cannot prove residency you will be refused entry.

Mexico is just entering Phase 3 and I would think restrictions on movement will get tougher, not more relaxed in the coming weeks.

There are exceptionally good reasons for staying put right now, not the least of which is not bringing the virus to this area. Just because you "feel fine" means nothing and your Uber driver or anyone from Guad is likely a rolling petri dish.

• Like 1

June 1 is a long ways off at this point in a situation that seems to change daily.  The road blocks were pretty intensive over the holidays, probably for that reason.  We'll see if they keep it up at that level.

As the testing ramps up more cases are being found but it is likely many are still going undetected.  I'd wait two weeks and re-evaluate.

We'd be interested in discussing house/cat sitting with you for later in the summer.  Please PM me about that.

'

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chapalence said:

You will be asked to show proof of residency. If you cannot prove residency you will be refused entry.

Mexico is just entering Phase 3 and I would think restrictions on movement will get tougher, not more relaxed in the coming weeks.

There are exceptionally good reasons for staying put right now, not the least of which is not bringing the virus to this area. Just because you "feel fine" means nothing and your Uber driver or anyone from Guad is likely a rolling petri dish.

The roads into the area are not blocked. Easter weekend my neighbors came from Guadalajara along with 2 friends to their weekend home here.  They were stopped asked where they were going, had their temperatures taken and were allowed to pass.  They never mentioned being asked for proof of a residence here, which they could have proved if they had been asked, but their guests could not have. 
On Sunday their grandson along with his girlfriend came from Guadalajara for the day.. they had no problems getting here.  As long as you don’t have a fever you are allowed to pass...

• Sad 1

There are currently no known cases of the virus in Chapala municipio.  There are confirmed cases and deaths in PV.  Jalisco is under a Quedate en Casa order for now, and it is likely to be extended. Please adhere to these measures; traveling from an infected area (PV) to a non-infected area (Chapala) is exactly the wrong thing to do.  And by bus and Uber???  Oy!

https://www.vallartadaily.com/at-least-7-imss-workers-in-puerto-vallarta-have-covid-19/

Of the 15 positive cases of COVID-19 being reported in Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, seven are health workers from the General Hospital of Zone 42 (HGZ 42) of the Mexican Institute of Social Security (IMSS).

Of these seven people, including doctors and nurses, all belong to HGZ 42, although some also work in other public and private health institutions.

It should be remembered that the HGZ 42 in Puerto Vallarta is the site where, as of Wednesday afternoon, the largest number of deaths in the state of Jalisco had occurred due to Covid-19, with three deaths.

47 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

The roads into the area are not blocked. Easter weekend my neighbors came from Guadalajara along with 2 friends to their weekend home here.  They were stopped asked where they were going, had their temperatures taken and were allowed to pass.  They never mentioned being asked for proof of a residence here, which they could have proved if they had been asked, but their guests could not have. 
On Sunday their grandson along with his girlfriend came from Guadalajara for the day.. they had no problems getting here.  As long as you don’t have a fever you are allowed to pass...

Actually thousands were turned around before they could enter Chapala. 2 TV stations had reporters & videos and there is a 20 minute youtube video. Only a few cars were allowed to pass the Chapala Haciendas checkpoint. For sure a few slipped through but the vast majority did not. Buses were checked at the centro de camiones and people were put on return buses. The tepmeratute checkpoints are on every interstate hwy in Jalisco. There is one near the Pepsi plant on the hwy to Chapala snd Ocotlan.

7 hours ago, catalystrose said:

I live in the ajijic area but mostly I pet and house sit which all canceled of course, so I'm hunkering down in Puerto Vallarta at the beach. Things are not nearly as restrictive as I'm hearing about there so I'm concerned about getting back in but that probably won't be until June 1st. I heard about road checks with the police...  I've searched all over online and if you could enlighten me or refer me to any links I would really appreciate it. I plan on taking a primera plus bus to Guadalajara and then Uber to Ajijic. if I'm forced to I'll do an Uber the entire way. Going to pet sit starting June 1st and he's planning to drive to California but do you think that would even be permitted and either country? He is a permanent resident of Mexico now. Muchas gracias!

FYI If anyone does need to do a long distance bus trip ever, primera plus has the option of a single seat in the back on each side so you're not sitting next to anyone and it's right near the bathroom which is convenient.

please do not come to Chapala until there are no new cases in PV.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TelsZ4 said:

No, if you don't live here, you're not allowed in. 9,000 cars were turned away over the weekend.

• Like 1

There are all kinds of videos of people being turned away, of people being asked for proof of residence. They are on Mexican FB pages and a variety of other sources that most expats will never see. Just because they don't see them, doesn't mean it isn't happening. There's a long one from the under-Presidente himself, and several others he's made, wearing a mask and announcing to people on the highway at Ch. Haciendas 2, what's happening.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, chapalence said:

We drove in from PV to Jocotopec to Ajijic and no roads were blocked on Tuesday. Didn't need to show proof of residence.

• Sad 1

I can't say how many cars are being turned away.  I was told by a friend that lives in Chapala Haciendas/Brisas and watches throughout the day, that often the people manning the "roadblocks" take extended breaks and cars do get through, but I believe the order is still in effect.

https://www.informador.mx/jalisco/Por-pandemia-alcalde-de-Chapala-anuncia-cierre-para-turistas-20200412-0015.html

• Sad 1

As per Moy Anaya's update yesterday, 15,024 vehicles, with an average of 4 people per car, have been stopped at the "filtros sanitarios" checkpoints. Both he and governor Alfaro have expressed that they may need to tighten restrictions when Mexico moves to Phase 3 in the coming days.

4 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

Came for the day??? That sort of laxness and flaunting of the self-isolation orders is exactly what causes this virus to spread. You don't have to register a fever to be infected and infect others. How can people still be so clueless? And care so little about their fellow humans.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Came for the day??? That sort of laxness and flaunting of the self-isolation orders is exactly what causes this virus to spread. You don't have to register a fever to be infected and infect others. How can people still be so clueless? And care so little about their fellow humans.

I don't think they are clueless-just oblivious and don't care.

Well I had to go into Chapala on an errand today just after noon. Only my wife was with me in the car. At first they only wanted to let me through but my wife being Mexican was able to sweet talk the "officer" into letting both of us proceed.

23 hours ago, catalystrose said:

17 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

catalystrose-For future trips when it is safe the ETN buses have single seats all the way down the left side of the bus behind the driver.

TelsZ4-We recently returned from an essential trip to Guadalajara and had to show proof of residency when we reached Chapala. 

2 hours ago, mexpat60 said:

We came back from Guad yesterday at about 11 am.  There was a checkpoint at Chapala Haciendas. Had to show proof of address.   Also going north into Guad just past the exit to Oacatlan the traffic was backed up for at least 2 miles.

Was there a check point going north?

15 hours ago, dcstroker said:

Well I had to go into Chapala on an errand today just after noon. Only my wife was with me in the car. At first they only wanted to let me through but my wife being Mexican was able to sweet talk the "officer" into letting both of us proceed.

Not sure what the reasoning here might be. Your wife has a voter card with her address; you have some kind of ID with address. If you are not domiciled in Chapala yourself, why would they let you through without a problem but not your Mexican wife?