Chapala.com Webboard

Bring a hat/sunblocker to Walmart

3 hours ago, tomwins said:

We all have values that we express when shopping.

I find the mom & pop stores

1. are safer to visit as they tend to better at controlling COVID-19 and have less traffic than Wal-mart

2. offer better value

3. offer better product quality

4. generally treat employees better

5. benefit the local community as the profits stay here

6. offer better service including special orders

7. connect me to local community in unique ways

I chose to live in Mexico in large part because of the wonderful people here. I want the community to be successful. I want to know this community better. It does hurt the local economy and the families that live here when we shop at Wal-mart instead of the locally owned mom & pop stores. You can claim those of us who have investments or pension benefit from Walmart shoppers going there. To me that is someone who has wealth being tone deaf to the impact of the actions on the community they live in. You have every right to come and live here for far less than you would in the US. But please realize our presence has caused many Mexicans to be priced out of living here. The LEAST we can do is support the local economy in ways that we can such as supporting the locally owned and operated businesses.

1 Most of the small stores I visit are not very clean, and in many cases they have things that have been on the  shelves a long time. 

2. Most have higher prices than Walmart or Soriana  certainly not better value.

3. 90% of the product is the same product offered at Walmart or Soriana. 

4. Most small stores are family operated. Not employees  Very few pay SS for their employees, many avoid paying taxes as well. 

5. Walmart & Soriana employ's local people, lets seniors & youths work bagging for tips. The majority of the products they sell are Mexican made (jobs in Mexico)

6. Better service?  Maybe but usually you can find what you want without  the need to special order, and you can easily browse to see what is in stock. 

7.  You win on this one. Although I have been to events in Walmart for 2 local children's homes where they entertained the children & donated clothes. 

My roots here go back to the 70's  Long before Soriana & Walmart.  You have no idea how happy folks here were when Soriana arrived and they could buy many things that required a trip to GDL before. Walmart was late in coming  to Chapala. They waited for there to be enough demand.  It is not here to serve expats. There are far more Mexican customers.Actually the store that suffered most when Walmart arrived is Soriana, not the mom & pop stores. 

The expats here have indeed raised the local economy. Paying maids & gardeners far more than comparable towns in Mexico. A maid here can make more than a policeman.  As far as most of the cost of living,  lakeside is far cheaper than say GDL where over 5 million Mexicans live. If you want to compare poor to middle class there is a huge difference anywhere in Mexico. All my family are upper middle class Mexicans. They own cars, travel abroad and have caused prices to rise in Mexico ....so by your  thoughts they are bad for Mexico

If you really want to hate corporations because they are EVIL   That is your right,,,, but you shouldn't be selective......

Give up your home phone and internet because the largest shareholder is Carlos Slim on eof the richest men in the world. 

Give up your cell phone because it was made with cheap underpaid labor in an Asian country.

Do you ever wear sneakers?   Made with cheap underpaid labor. Or leather shoes from the shoe capitol of Mexico Guanajuato ? Again cheap labor in the sweat shop factories. 

Your TV   Uh Oh  Made in an Asian country with cheap labor  so out it goes

So  anyone can be selective in their damnation of corporations when it suits them.   

Shop where you want,  but don't chastise others who shop where they wish. And please don't accuse me of being tone deaf... I was here before you,  I am a Mexican citizen. But possibly I am evil for liking the modern world. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

I've found that, too, and seldom find any need to go to Home Depot. In fact, Home Depot is often out of things I'm looking for, and the staff is pretty clueless. And half the time the price on the bin is not what I get charged at checkout, then it entails e standing around for 10 minutes while they send someone who walks like a tortuga to do a price check. The local hardware stores where I live seem to pretty much keep their stock up and the oweners are knowledgable about what they have.

Baby food? No one needs to buy baby food. I raised three kids and never bought baby food once, neither have any of my daughters for their babies. Babies eat whatever they have the teeth for, from starting out on mushed up bananas and yams and then move on to other foods as they are able to chew. Commercial baby food is just a marketing gimmick and utterly unnecessary. How is it that the human race was able to survive and overpopulate the earth without commercial baby food?

Just wanted to agree on the Home Depot thing. Mexico treats big box stores like specialty shops and overcharges for everything, the complete opposite of "back home". Then I saw your admonishment on baby food. There you go again, telling people how to live. Dammit, people have been using commercial baby food for a hundred years, and none of us sprouted antennae or turned into the devil (I'm proud to say the drawing of the baby girl on all Gerber jars was my playdate when I was a year old. Raised in Ottawa). Next thing, you'll be railing on about mothers' milk vs formula, then shoelaces vs. velcro, and god only knows what. Can you not just finish a thought with jumping on your patronize-wagon?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gringohombre said:

Are you serious??? Surely you are joking (don't call me Shirley). OK, now I understand how being cooped up for weeks effects some folks. Keep it coming, we are all going batty!!! 

No, I'm not joking. What I said is true. And i'm not cooped up for weeks. I have a nice piece of property to hang out in and I've been gardening all day. My life isn't that much different right now than it usually is.

Just now, ComputerGuy said:

Just wanted to agree on the Home Depot thing. Mexico treats big box stores like specialty shops and overcharges for everything, the complete opposite of "back home". Then I saw your admonishment on baby food. There you go again, telling people how to live. Dammit, people have been using commercial baby food for a hundred years, and none of us sprouted antennae or turned into the devil (I'm proud to say the drawing of the baby girl on all Gerber jars was my playdate when I was a year old. Raised in Ottawa). Next thing, you'll be railing on about mothers' milk vs formula, then shoelaces vs. velcro, and god only knows what. Can you not just finish a thought with jumping on your patronize-wagon?

Yes, Home Depot's prices are far higher than my local hardware stores and not better quality. 

I wasn't telling anyone how to live. I was saying that baby food isn't some essential item that Mexicans need, as GringoHombre put forth. I didn't say it was evil, or dangerous. I said it isn't a necessity. And please don't tell me what I'm going to post next, just because you object to some of my posts. 

Our impression is that after WalMart came the smart, including Soriana and El Torito stepped up their game and seem to be doing just fine.  Given how much this area has grown there seems to be enough business to go around.  We very much appreciate the improved shopping here over the last decade.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

I wasn't telling anyone how to live. I was saying that baby food isn't some essential item that Mexicans need, as GringoHombre put forth. I didn't say it was evil, or dangerous. I said it isn't a necessity. And please don't tell me what I'm going to post next, just because you object to some of my posts. 

And I quote: "No one needs to buy baby food." ... "Commercial baby food is just a marketing gimmick and utterly unnecessary. How is it that the human race was able to survive and overpopulate the earth without commercial baby food?" How is it that this is not telling people how to live? Your point is always the same: if it's different than you, then it's wrong.

Of course baby food is not exactly essential but it is convenient just like McDonalds is I assume.  We raised an American baby down here and she loved the Gerbers Chayote (although she want touch them today) but try finding that flavor in the States.  But imagine if baby food and formulas weren't available, do you think all young couples today would have the common sense to provide a balanced nutritious meal for their baby to develope properly?  Something to think about.

21 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

"Commercial baby food is just a marketing gimmick and utterly unnecessary. How is it that the human race was able to survive and overpopulate the earth without commercial baby food?" How is it that this is not telling people how to live?

It was my opinion. Isn't that what everyone does here- gives their opinion? At least I don't personally attack other posters, I just disagree with what they might have to say. And just becuse I voice my opinion, doesn't mean I think I'm right and everyone else is wrong, in spite of that being your take.

6 hours ago, tomwins said:

We all have values that we express when shopping.

I find the mom & pop stores

1. are safer to visit as they tend to better at controlling COVID-19 and have less traffic than Wal-mart

2. offer better value

3. offer better product quality

4. generally treat employees better

5. benefit the local community as the profits stay here

6. offer better service including special orders

7. connect me to local community in unique ways

I chose to live in Mexico in large part because of the wonderful people here. I want the community to be successful. I want to know this community better. It does hurt the local economy and the families that live here when we shop at Wal-mart instead of the locally owned mom & pop stores. You can claim those of us who have investments or pension benefit from Walmart shoppers going there. To me that is someone who has wealth being tone deaf to the impact of the actions on the community they live in. You have every right to come and live here for far less than you would in the US. But please realize our presence has caused many Mexicans to be priced out of living here. The LEAST we can do is support the local economy in ways that we can such as supporting the locally owned and operated businesses.

8. most have large dangerous steps

Many Mexican families shop at Walmart. I think stocking staff make 800 per week. I believe they pay benefits which I doubt most small shops pay. 

10 hours ago, timjwilson said:

8. most have large dangerous steps

Many Mexican families shop at Walmart. I think stocking staff make 800 per week. I believe they pay benefits which I doubt most small shops pay. 

Correct ...Walmart employees are receiving contributions to their SS account, and Walmart pays taxes.   Many small businesses here don't do either. Just ask the corner store for a factura and you will see...

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

Could you live on 800 pesos a week. Rents in my area start around 1,500 pesos a month and this is for a bear concrete floor with a kitchen sink and a toilet. So basically you have to work about 2 weeks just to pay one months rent. Of course you can live several to a room.

No I couldn't and neither could you. I suggest that you leave "US"  out of the equation when discussing  how comfortable a Mexican "FAMILY " is on a stellar[to them] wage of 800/wk.plus benefits.  I also would suggest to you that a lot of them aren't renters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

No I couldn't and neither could you. I suggest that you leave "US"  out of the equation when discussing  how comfortable a Mexican "FAMILY " is on a stellar[to them] wage of 800/wk.plus benefits.  I also would suggest to you that a lot of them aren't renters.

Just like timjwilson she has no concept of living here..  Walmart has done do much for the economy of this town.. And I know this because I was here before opened...

• Like 1

I have observed, in another time and place, as I am old, exactly how the human race managed without commercial baby food:  The baby received pre-chewed food directly from the mouth of its mother.  I last saw that done, even in restaurants, as late as the 1960s, before I returned to the land of Gerber.  Our own children got mashed or strained food; whatever the rest of us ate.  They only got a dose of Gerber when we were on the road, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoneyBee said:

Could you live on 800 pesos a week. Rents in my area start around 1,500 pesos a month and this is for a bear concrete floor with a kitchen sink and a toilet. So basically you have to work about 2 weeks just to pay one months rent. Of course you can live several to a room.

Your observation has some merit...But I suggest that person working is part of a larger family entity... Maybe one of four. But doing any comparison between comparison between US and THEM is irrelevant.

This area is "unique" and most of it foreign residents did not come from areas NOB which had a huge difference in economic living standards . And unlike the Tapitios who come here and handle the "situation" as normal. .. this is Mexico . ..many Gringos struggle with the "Culture" as is ,but some try to "improve" ...others will just a simulate and not create waves...to each his own

50 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

I fail to see the comparison with the US since I am from Switzerland. Its a big world out there ☺️ 

Same comparison applies to Switzerland or any country that isn't an emerging state like Mexico. Your excuse about US vs. die Schweiz  is irrelevant at best. I am Canadian and I chose to understand my neighbours here at all econoic levels. Try it sometime.

pedro kertesz

Just a small correction that maybe I should have pointed out to you is that I am from the french speaking part of Switzerland so I will edit your post as "Your excuse about US vs la Suisse". On another note, have you ever tried to understand your US neighbors at all econoic levels? 😅 

FOr those who were here before Soriana and Walmart, do you remember the veggies and fruit rotting away    in the abarrotes including SL.. I remember that and it changed we the competitions came in.. Thank you Soriana and Walmart. WHen I moved here in 2001 I was shoked how much bad merchandise was up for sale.. The tianguis was fine but not the little stores.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, bmh said:

FOr those who were here before Soriana and Walmart, do you remember the veggies and fruit rotting away    in the abarrotes including SL.. I remember that and it changed we the competitions came in.. Thank you Soriana and Walmart. WHen I moved here in 2001 I was shoked how much bad merchandise was up for sale.. The tianguis was fine but not the little stores.

Yes, I remember well. A lot of the veggies that were out for sale, you'd think they would have been embarrassed to leave there. They weren't fit for human consumption, unless one was truly starving, they belonged in the pig trough.

All the changes like this don't have to do with big box stores, though.

There was one butcher shop in my town until about 11 years ago. It was really disgusting- I had to hold my breath every time I went in there. There was ancient dried blood everywhere, and surfaces that could never be adequately cleaned. Then more butcher shops started opening in town, with new, clean, scubbable interiors. It took a few years after that before the original butcher shop stepped up their game. I guess they finally realized they had competition and why.

I've noticed the same thing with the way some of the locals keep their properties. A lot of homes used to have yards covered in garbage, but it seems like since they saw not only the way foreigners keep their properties, but how many of the well-off local Mexicans with successful businesses kept their properties looking, a lot of those formerly eye-sore yards have cleaned up their act, even though the same people are living there.

• Like 1

beg to dffer, the vegges were rotten and not thrown out untl the big stores came in  The same thing happened in TUlum and San ristobal... when the big stores come in there is  competition and the smarter merchant adjust and do things they did not do before because they did not have too. 

One thing, the Soriana fish area smelled terrible but they eventually got it straightened out.

• Like 1