Chapala.com Webboard

Bring a hat/sunblocker to Walmart

6 minutes ago, Ian Greenwood said:

Just remember   jillin the opposite of  SJW ( social justice warrior)  are  neo -nazis ...who fight for social injustice ...laugh at that !

I am not interested in a discussion on politics. It was merely my reaction to someone with clearly SJW diatribes in regards to Walmart in this thread and nothing else.

pedro kertesz

Hi johansson, tried to send this in PM but is says your account doesn't permit messages so I'll post my response, publicly.

Saw your post about wishing Costco was closer.  I'm preparing a shopping list to use the Lakeside Shopping Services for the first time.  Their website shows a delivery fee of $150 pesos to Ajijic.  Orders placed on or before Monday, they shop Tuesday and do deliveries lakeside Wednesday and Thursday.

You may want to check them out.  Like I said, this will be my first time using them but seems an easy and cost-effective way to get our Costco favorites.

Cheers, stay healthy!

Val Jones

Thanks for the suggestion, Val. I may have to break down and not drive to Costco and make an order. The trouble is that about half of what I buy when at Costco is something that I, on the spur of the moment, decide that I need the product when I see it. And that is one of the things I love about shopping there.

6 hours ago, johanson said:

Thanks for the suggestion, Val. I may have to break down and not drive to Costco and make an order. The trouble is that about half of what I buy when at Costco is something that I, on the spur of the moment, decide that I need the product when I see it. And that is one of the things I love about shopping there.

I've been using Lakeside Shopping for months and am glad to avoid the drive, especially now, and like you, it was fun to shop at Costco in some ways.  The sample tables introduced me to some products I've enjoyed ever since.  However, that drive is far too much of a PITA now, and the shopping service does a great job of delivering what I really need from Costco at a very reasonable cost, right to my door.  Worth checking out, Pete.

• Thanks 1

On 4/14/2020 at 7:54 AM, Mostlylost said:

I for one love being able to do 1 stop shopping.

I own Walmart stock so I pay myself along with millions of other Walmart stockholders when I shop there. Most North Americans own stock in major corporations in one way or another.  Have life insurance your premiums are used to buy stock by the ins co. Retirement plan? Again stock. So really we are the large corporations. 

Based on  large corporations making money we should not carry cell phones, use Telmex, buy cement to build houses, buy gas to cook and heat water, buy aspirin, drink beer or bottled water. List could go on for days. 

As Mr Spock would say "not logical"

On 4/15/2020 at 8:26 AM, bmh said:

This hate of Walmart is an American things, they ar other large Supermarkets and they are ting against each other . If you hate them do not shop there , it is very simple..

We all have values that we express when shopping.

I find the mom & pop stores

1. are safer to visit as they tend to better at controlling COVID-19 and have less traffic than Wal-mart

2. offer better value

3. offer better product quality

4. generally treat employees better

5. benefit the local community as the profits stay here

6. offer better service including special orders

7. connect me to local community in unique ways

I chose to live in Mexico in large part because of the wonderful people here. I want the community to be successful. I want to know this community better. It does hurt the local economy and the families that live here when we shop at Wal-mart instead of the locally owned mom & pop stores. You can claim those of us who have investments or pension benefit from Walmart shoppers going there. To me that is someone who has wealth being tone deaf to the impact of the actions on the community they live in. You have every right to come and live here for far less than you would in the US. But please realize our presence has caused many Mexicans to be priced out of living here. The LEAST we can do is support the local economy in ways that we can such as supporting the locally owned and operated businesses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tell that to every big store in Guadalajara, Monterrey, Mexico City... you name it. Life has changed in oh so many ways. So keep doing what you do; no one has a problem with that. My problem comes from being lectured to about things I am already fully and completely aware of.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tomwins said:

We all have values that we express when shopping.

I find the mom & pop stores

1. are safer to visit as they tend to better at controlling COVID-19 and have less traffic than Wal-mart

2. offer better value

3. offer better product quality

4. generally treat employees better

5. benefit the local community as the profits stay here

6. offer better service including special orders

7. connect me to local community in unique ways

I chose to live in Mexico in large part because of the wonderful people here. I want the community to be successful. I want to know this community better. It does hurt the local economy and the families that live here when we shop at Wal-mart instead of the locally owned mom & pop stores. You can claim those of us who have investments or pension benefit from Walmart shoppers going there. To me that is someone who has wealth being tone deaf to the impact of the actions on the community they live in. You have every right to come and live here for far less than you would in the US. But please realize our presence has caused many Mexicans to be priced out of living here. The LEAST we can do is support the local economy in ways that we can such as supporting the locally owned and operated businesses.

I think that is all fine and good but at least here they simply don't have the things most people want to buy.  That is why both WalMart AND Soriana do a lot of business.  When we go to Costco if expats are more than a couple percent of the people in there at any one time I'd be surprised.

It seems the growing Mexican middle class has very similar shopping preferences to our own.

Now when it comes to restaurants we avoid U.S. named chains like the plague and go exclusively for the locally owned and operated places.

BTW I've noticed things are significantly more expensive in GDL than here.  Can't blame that on the expats.

Tom loses...together with the many thousands of Mexican families here who would be deprived of great prices for baby food, staples and a variety that they could only imagine BW (before Walmart). Take a poll of locals here and I could predict it would be 10 to 1 FOR Walmart. A vast many of those mom & pops he mentions are in the front of the proprietor's family home, so they are already middle class, pay no rent and still get a steady business from nearby residents who depend on them for day to day needs. So why not look at the BIG PICTURE as to the cost/benefits of this situation. But I doubt that some here will because they are locked into their little do "good" at any cost liberal mentality. And yes, by the way, they also provide a good chunk of "entry level" jobs for locals here. 

It doesn't have to be either/or  

Family mom and pop tienditas are doing fine and will continue to do so.

If I have to drive around from small store to small store to get everything on the shopping list it will take up much more time and create more traffic as well. I don't pay attention to prices when I shop at a tiendita, happy that they are there.

Wow! 

1 hour ago, gringohombre said:

Tom loses...together with the many thousands of Mexican families here who would be deprived of great prices for baby food, staples and a variety that they could only imagine BW (before Walmart). Take a poll of locals here and I could predict it would be 10 to 1 FOR Walmart. A vast many of those mom & pops he mentions are in the front of the proprietor's family home, so they are already middle class, pay no rent and still get a steady business from nearby residents who depend on them for day to day needs. So why not look at the BIG PICTURE as to the cost/benefits of this situation. But I doubt that some here will because they are locked into their little do "good" at any cost liberal mentality. And yes, by the way, they also provide a good chunk of "entry level" jobs for locals here. 

I guess Donnie made it across the border before the masses could catch him! LOL!!!

And aside from all that the bottom line is the Mexican public has made their preference very clear and who are we to tell them what we think is "good" for them?  When we visit our Oaxacan friends and sometimes go with them for shopping Sams is usually on the list and it is packed with Mexicans.  Not that many expats in Oaxaca.

Big box shopping is one of those mega trends that has been around for quite some time in the first world and it is clearly taking hold here as well.  Shopping malls are another mega trend that has peaked NOB but is still running strong here in major metro areas.  NOB on line shopping is the new full blown mega trend, it is in its infancy here.

Life marches on.  Not always in the direction we as individuals like but it is a very democratic process in that the public creates what they want by the choices they make.  For me, the direction shopping has gone is a mixed bag, some good some not so good.

1 hour ago, ea93105 said:

It doesn't have to be either/or  

Family mom and pop tienditas are doing fine and will continue to do so.

If I have to drive around from small store to small store to get everything on the shopping list it will take up much more time and create more traffic as well. I don't pay attention to prices when I shop at a tiendita, happy that they are there.

A friend of mine, now sadly deceased, observed that we have Home Depot here, it is just strung out along the carretera in multiple storefronts.  I used to laugh at that but there is a lot of truth in it.  Over time I've learned who has what and rarely feel the need to go to Home Depot.  At least when it comes to hardware and plumbing you can find it here most likely.  Our favorite place is that hardware store in San Antonio next to the mailboxes place.

We are finding ourselves now using El Torito more and are very grateful it is there.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sunshineyday? said:

Wow! 

I guess Donnie made it across the border before the masses could catch him! LOL!!!

I, like I am sure many other here, fail to get this as I also fail to get those alphabet abbreviations so common now (OK I finally got LOL...LOL). Not everybody is up on everything!!! I would put a smiley thingy here but hate them also...Grrrr

6 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

At least when it comes to hardware and plumbing you can find it here most likely. 

I've found that, too, and seldom find any need to go to Home Depot. In fact, Home Depot is often out of things I'm looking for, and the staff is pretty clueless. And half the time the price on the bin is not what I get charged at checkout, then it entails e standing around for 10 minutes while they send someone who walks like a tortuga to do a price check. The local hardware stores where I live seem to pretty much keep their stock up and the oweners are knowledgable about what they have.

1 hour ago, gringohombre said:

thousands of Mexican families here who would be deprived of great prices for baby food,

Baby food? No one needs to buy baby food. I raised three kids and never bought baby food once, neither have any of my daughters for their babies. Babies eat whatever they have the teeth for, from starting out on mushed up bananas and yams and then move on to other foods as they are able to chew. Commercial baby food is just a marketing gimmick and utterly unnecessary. How is it that the human race was able to survive and overpopulate the earth without commercial baby food?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

I've found that, too, and seldom find any need to go to Home Depot. In fact, Home Depot is often out of things I'm looking for, and the staff is pretty clueless. And half the time the price on the bin is not what I get charged at checkout, then it entails e standing around for 10 minutes while they send someone who walks like a tortuga to do a price check. The local hardware stores where I live seem to pretty much keep their stock up and the oweners are knowledgable about what they have.

Baby food? No one needs to buy baby food. I raised three kids and never bought baby food once, neither have any of my daughters for their babies. Babies eat whatever they have the teeth for, from starting out on mushed up bananas and yams and then move on to other foods as they are able to chew. Commercial baby food is just a marketing gimmick and utterly unnecessary. How is it that the human race was able to survive and overpopulate the earth without commercial baby food?

Are you serious??? Surely you are joking (don't call me Shirley). OK, now I understand how being cooped up for weeks effects some folks. Keep it coming, we are all going batty!!!