Chapala.com Webboard

Bring a hat/sunblocker to Walmart

20 minutes ago, bmh said:

Good to hear.. Here in San Cristobal they have no limit ,no gloves, mo masks...

Same here in Morelia. They have signs indicating limits on bleach and some other cleaning products, but otherwise, it's business as usual.  Some of the employees are wearing masks, most are not, and no one was wearing gloves.  Of the outside businesses restocking shelves in Walmart La Huerta (Morelia), only a very few stockers this morning were wearing masks.  Most customers also wore no masks or gloves.

A bunch of things I needed were not available, but most were.  For example, when I went to look for eggs, the egg shelves were bare.  When I finished shopping about 40 minutes later and was on the way to the checkout, there were boxes of eggs on the shelves.   

When I arrived this morning they directed us to create a line in the section where they sell patio furniture but that quickly became impossible and when I exited the line was outside. A lady was holding what I thought was a temperature gun but it was her phone with some sort of app to monitor capacity in the store

6 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

At 10:45am today I waited 4 mins in the line. At 11:30 there was no line ip...

Please consider going to mom & pop stores rather than Walmart. First, as has been shown here, you are entering a space where there are thousands of people who have little regard for health procedures. Do you think disinfecting of the carts, aisles, registers at Walmart is effectively done? You are endangering yourself and others.

Besides that Walmart does not treat their employees well in regard to pay or benefits.

Finally, Mom & Pop stores keep more of the profits here locally to help the local economy and local families. They've really been hurt by the pandemic and need our help now more than ever. The gazillionaires of the Walton family don't need your money nearly as much as these local family and business do.

It may require you to hunt but you can find ANYTHING at a local store that you need and it will be of as good or better quality and at or a better price than you'd get at W. If you keep going to local businesses and develop relationships you can even get special orders and things you'd never get at Walmart. But I've seen the crap produce they sell in Walmart and it is very bad and far below the quality you can get in local markets. You have to look and find the right ones.

Stop sending your money to US business interest that do are harming the local Mexican economy, please.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tomwins said:

Please consider going to mom & pop stores rather than Walmart. First, as has been shown here, you are entering a space where there are thousands of people who have little regard for health procedures. Do you think disinfecting of the carts, aisles, registers at Walmart is effectively done? You are endangering yourself and others.

Besides that Walmart does not treat their employees well in regard to pay or benefits.

Finally, Mom & Pop stores keep more of the profits here locally to help the local economy and local families. They've really been hurt by the pandemic and need our help now more than ever. The gazillionaires of the Walton family don't need your money nearly as much as these local family and business do.

It may require you to hunt but you can find ANYTHING at a local store that you need and it will be of as good or better quality and at or a better price than you'd get at W. If you keep going to local businesses and develop relationships you can even get special orders and things you'd never get at Walmart. But I've seen the crap produce they sell in Walmart and it is very bad and far below the quality you can get in local markets. You have to look and find the right ones.

Stop sending your money to US business interest that do are harming the local Mexican economy, please.

I don’t think there is one correct fact in this post...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Well I stand corrected, I went to Bodega Aurerra in San Cristobal today, still no mask, when we hae lots of fabric masks being sold on the street, no gloves BUT a limit of 188 people in the store sosomeone  had a clockr to let only one person per family enter the store. Many customers do not speak English and looked puzzed, some who understood refused to shop there  and ssome  said they were not together entered and went on shoppng with their family.. No short supply on anything, at least the entry had been cleared out of people sitting on the floor selling stuff.. That promises to get interesting..

As a Professional Chef living  Lakeside for over ten years  , I have taught  at least  400 - 500  cooking classes and still do   the only reason I have been able to do this ..you can  summarize in one word....Pancho ....firstly at super lake for ever and now at Panchos  ...When  I arrived  Lakeside  Chefs came from Guadalajara  just to find ingredients   at Super Lake  . this has of course changed as Guad has become  so cosmopolitan I n recent years .....So  if you consider super lake  ,  Panchos  and several of  our upcoming stores like  Costa Allegra fish market and the  granario  mom and paps you may have a point otherwise  ..complete ...B  S .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TelsZ4 said:

I don’t think there is one correct fact in this post...

You could have just written "The Waltons are the richest family in America thanks to their ironclad control over the world's largest retailer, Wal-Mart" or I hart zillionaires.

Anyone going to Walmart instead of mom and pop stores is sending money to the wealthiest family in the US instead of supporting local families and businesses. I don't see how anyone can disagree with that fact.

If this makes you feel shame for how you spend your money, I don't apologize. I only ask that you listen to the shame and change your behavior. Please stop supporting multinational corporations who do not support local communities.

I know it is easy to go to the big stores but if you take the months of exploration that it requires you'll find a whole world of far greater value than Walmart has to offer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomwins said:

Are you basing your statement that Walmart doesn't treat  its employees well in terms of salary and benefits on what Walmart does in the US or what Walmart does in Mexico?  Labor laws are different between the two countries so pay and benefits like health care vary between there and here.  The employees at Walmart are Mexican and count in those jobs to support their families just as the owners of the local abarrotes do. 

• Like 1

Yep, and people bitched and moaned about the devastating impact Henry Ford was going to have on the horse and carriage trades, from the specialized chassis all the way down to the guy who shoed the horses. The future is here. Nothing anyone can do except try and make them fly right.

14 minutes ago, bdlngton said:

Are you basing your statement that Walmart doesn't treat  its employees well in terms of salary and benefits on what Walmart does in the US or what Walmart does in Mexico?  Labor laws are different between the two countries so pay and benefits like health care vary between there and here.  The employees at Walmart are Mexican and count in those jobs to support their families just as the owners of the local abarrotes do. 

I think both are true, that Walmart underpays and under-rewards employees in the US and Mexico. That is based on what I have read and what I have been told by Mexican residents and most specifically by an employee of Guadalajara Pharmacia and a teacher who has had several conversations with me about how employees are treated by various employers. I know this is anecdotal.

If you step back and think about the "flow of money" you'll realize that someone who owns a mom and pop store here will keep the money HERE as they pay for supplies and staff as well as rent and overhead. But if the Waltons own the business, the wealth is going to flow up to the wealthiest family in the Americas. So I believe my friend who has told me that people working at Walmart owned businesses don't make as much as those working at other businesses or those who own their own business.

3 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Yep, and people bitched and moaned about the devastating impact Henry Ford was going to have on the horse and carriage trades, from the specialized chassis all the way down to the guy who shoed the horses. The future is here. Nothing anyone can do except try and make them fly right.

Henry Ford insisted on paying his employees well and lifted them out of poverty into a higher standard of living. He insisted they be able to own the cars they were building. Rather than lifting up, Walmart is pushing the standard lower so that the merchandise in the stores is of lower quality. We all suffer from making the service and products cheaper. Even if we don't shop at Walmart. But the initial appeal is that the prices are so low. What many don't realize is that the quality is poorer.

I may pay the same price but for better quality because I go to several different places and find the better product. I isn't easy or "one stop" but I'm not sending money to the wealthiest family in the Americas but supporting local mom and pop stores and their suppliers.

5 hours ago, tomwins said:

Henry Ford insisted on paying his employees well and lifted them out of poverty into a higher standard of living. He insisted they be able to own the cars they were building. Rather than lifting up, Walmart is pushing the standard lower so that the merchandise in the stores is of lower quality. We all suffer from making the service and products cheaper. Even if we don't shop at Walmart. But the initial appeal is that the prices are so low. What many don't realize is that the quality is poorer.

I may pay the same price but for better quality because I go to several different places and find the better product. I isn't easy or "one stop" but I'm not sending money to the wealthiest family in the Americas but supporting local mom and pop stores and their suppliers.

Very true.  Henry Ford established the 8hr at $5 work day, 5 day work week which doubled his employee's wages.  These were unheard of wages in a time that the average ethnic union labor jobs paid around .20 cents per hour.  Most were lucky to get $1 per day if that.  This $5 per day wage is equivalent to approx. $160 per day today.  Who at Walmart makes $160 per 8hr day?  No comparison can be made between Walmart and Henry Ford.  Of course Ford was also a bit of a control freak with his employees.  They had to jump through a variety of hoops to make that wage including forcing everyone to live a certain lifestyle and to learn English.  But then I guess the later wasn't that bad of an idea either..........

I for one love being able to do 1 stop shopping.

I own Walmart stock so I pay myself along with millions of other Walmart stockholders when I shop there. Most North Americans own stock in major corporations in one way or another.  Have life insurance your premiums are used to buy stock by the ins co. Retirement plan? Again stock. So really we are the large corporations. 

Based on  large corporations making money we should not carry cell phones, use Telmex, buy cement to build houses, buy gas to cook and heat water, buy aspirin, drink beer or bottled water. List could go on for days. 

As Mr Spock would say "not logical"

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tomwins said:

How Ford treated his employees has nothing to do with the concept that big corporations are ruining small businesses. I could have used an example of the first guy to carve a wheel out of stone pissing off all the human people carriers... let's see you dig up some dirt on their employers.

The point being when you rail on against WalMart, you need to rail against every huge corporation, from airlines to Federal governments, for ruining the existing businesses that got shut down. You need to rail against the work-houses in newly-industrialized England. It's a joke to think anything can be done about any of this. It happened already. Nothing is going to change. Everyone shops and works and will not stop.

You are perfectly entitled to take your business to small shops; no one is arguing that, least of all me. I prefer the small shops where I can get fresh bolillos, or my favourite kind of cracker. But I shop at WalMart, and so do most WalMart haters. Because, NO, I can't get a big selection of toasters or irons or dinnerware sets or cordless phones with extensions at any small shop I know of. Life is a compromise. Preaching about it the way you are on this board has no effect. In fact, please remember: we are all adults here and have been through this thought process ourselves a million times before your post.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1