Chapala.com Webboard

alcohol and booze

19 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

..."and in the morning, I will be sober. You, madam, will still be ugly"

WC

He also said “The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm under the impression that when Prohibition was in place, the home grown booze was poisonous enough to cause many sicknesses and deaths.  This could happen here. I think it's up to individuals whether to drink no not, but I wonder whether cutting off the legitimate sources of alcohol is going to be a good thing or dangerours.

People who beat their partners have a devil inside that will cause them to continue to do so...drunk or sober. Damn shame. Canada has the right idea.

5 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

For those of you who are daily drinkers, you can now use the $ you'll save by not buying booze to purchase and donate protective gear to the hospitals and clinics for their staff. 

Or, contribute to the local food banks or give directly to folks in need. As with so much else (what you eat, where you eat, what you do or don't drink, what type of mask you wear), it is a personal choice. 

Here you go assuming something once more  with your own obvious morality issues. It never crossed your mind that daily drinkers already contribute plenty to society including for pandemics, disasters and any number of other things and don't give up what little or larger pleasures they may have, to do good deeds Has nobody ever told you what ASSUME spells and what are you doing to help others?

• Like 11

My grandfather was a city marshal in Oklahoma.  There were two bootleggers in town and each paid him in whiskey each week which he drank.  At age 70 he got to worrying about his health and switched to a six pack of beer a day.  We also had a house of ill repute but this is another story!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, pol2sol said:

Will alcohol help the hungry children? Their distraught fathers might think different and crave the drink to hide from the disparity of not being able to feed their family. The little money they have can’t be wasted. If you have so much cash to buy your much needed booze then spend some of it to buy food for the needy kids. Careful, no wasting!

You really should stop taking stabs in the dark at people you do not know anything about. 

2 hours ago, gringal said:

I'm under the impression that when Prohibition was in place, the home grown booze was poisonous enough to cause many sicknesses and deaths.  This could happen here. I think it's up to individuals whether to drink no not, but I wonder whether cutting off the legitimate sources of alcohol is going to be a good thing or dangerours.

People who beat their partners have a devil inside that will cause them to continue to do so...drunk or sober. Damn shame. Canada has the right idea.

Excellent points. Unfortunately, it was even worse than that. The US government, frustrated that its citizenry would not embrace Prohibition, ordered the poisoning of industrial alcohols which were being redistilled and consumed as substitutes to traditional booze, which had been largely outlawed. Up to 10,000 people are estimated to have died as a result. In the 1970s, the US government decided to extend this moralistic outreach to poisoning marijuana fields in neighboring Mexico until public outrage mandated a reconsideration. https://slate.com/technology/2010/02/the-little-told-story-of-how-the-u-s-government-poisoned-alcohol-during-prohibition.html

What does this have to do with not allowing booze to be sold lakeside? Well, a government's fixation on control often leads to unanticipated, but entirely predictable and unfortunate, outcomes.

20 minutes ago, Sorn said:

Excellent points. Unfortunately, it was even worse than that. The US government, frustrated that its citizenry would not embrace Prohibition, ordered the poisoning of industrial alcohols which were being redistilled and consumed as substitutes to traditional booze, which had been largely outlawed. Up to 10,000 people are estimated to have died as a result. In the 1970s, the US government decided to extend this moralistic outreach to poisoning marijuana fields in neighboring Mexico until public outrage mandated a reconsideration. https://slate.com/technology/2010/02/the-little-told-story-of-how-the-u-s-government-poisoned-alcohol-during-prohibition.html

What does this have to do with not allowing booze to be sold lakeside? Well, a government's fixation on control often leads to unanticipated, but entirely predictable and unfortunate, outcomes.

How about finding a conspiracy theory group and going there with this tripe that has nothing to do with anything here.🤮🤮🤮. What brought all you trolls to this thread?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, El Menudo said:

Oops, I only read the first page of posts before I made the above movie link.  Now I am spinning like a top!  Excuse me while I go fix a martini, shaken not stirred.

Good idea it's that time of day for me to indulge in a puro and a shot or 2 of Mezcal. Salud!

17 hours ago, vetteforron said:

In my humble opinion this ban is another government stupid order. This virus has given governments a way to flex power over the people. I love my bottle of red wine in the evenings on my porch watching my porch tele. What a release and stress relief. Plus a great night of sleep. 

Plus time with my dog Happy. 

It´s just not the government that does this, it could be a teetotalling wife or partner, doctor, Mormon Church and other Christian denominations,, Muslim Religion, and FERRET:  LOL

During Prohibition in the US, no one had any problem getting alcohol.  Religions are more powerful in deterring alcohol than governments are.

7 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Slainte's post reninded of the time when Bono, of U2, announced he was not drinking anymore. Made headlines all over. The next day he said he was misquoted, he said he wasn't drinking any more, but he also wasn't drinking any less!

Reminds of my Irish poitín drinking father who most people would have said, that they had never seen him drunk.  That's because they had never seen him sober.

I’m quite new to this.... tried it briefly years ago and decided to give it another go. Thus far I have read enough. I skimmed through this web board and basically noticed rudeness and complaining. Is it the “stay home” practice bringing out the worst?  Or perhaps extremely bored people that find reading a good book to challenging. Often exercise alleviates specific conditions associated with isolation. Good luck! 

5 minutes ago, pol2sol said:

I’m quite new to this.... tried it briefly years ago and decided to give it another go. Thus far I have read enough. I skimmed through this web board and basically noticed rudeness and complaining. Is it the “stay home” practice bringing out the worst?  Or perhaps extremely bored people that find reading a good book to challenging. Often exercise alleviates specific conditions associated with isolation. Good luck! 

Don´t know what you are talking about, but the your post before this one has me tied to a post made by Xena. You are confused.