Chapala.com Webboard

alcohol and booze

A drawback I discovered recently is they only maybe two memberships to CostCo, and thus are limited in the number of items of any one type that they can purchase. So that is causing part of the inventory problem with deliveries.

Well I used to have a still in an unnamed Middle Eastern country... I may even have 
the "Blue Flame" insruction booklet which the company gave out to expats back then. You need 100# of sugar, yeast, and water to get the mash started.  

Wine I do indeed remember - white, red and rose. And we do have those 5 gal garrafons on hand but I vowed never to make it again...!

Are you sure?  I just received an order via home delivery, including several bottles of wine.  

They do have some municipalities listed on their website where they are not selling alcohol.  Hoping we won't be added!  

Por disposición oficial queda suspendida la venta de bebidas alcohólicas en las siguientes tiendas:

Chiapas. Tienda Supercenter San Cristobal del 01 al 30 de abril del 2020 

Tabasco Tienda Supercenter Blvd Ruiz Cortines del 02 de abril hasta nuevo aviso 

Campeche Tienda Supercenter Campeche del 05 de abril hasta nuevo aviso

Baja California Sur Tiendas Supercenter Los Cabos y San José del Cabo del 06 de abril hasta nuevo aviso

Nayarit Tienda Supercenter Bahía de Banderas y Tepic del 06 de abril hasta nuevo aviso

Morelos Tienda Supercenter Paraíso del 08 al 30 de abril 

Yucatán, Tiendas Supercenter Mérida, Pensiones, Polígono, Mérida Norte del 10 al 30 de abril

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

A drawback I discovered recently is they only maybe two memberships to CostCo, and thus are limited in the number of items of any one type that they can purchase. So that is causing part of the inventory problem with deliveries.

CG, what does your first sentence mean?  Inquiring minds want to know.  Thanks, and stay well, amigo.

Hello dere! Each membership card allows one person inside the store, and each member is only allowed to buy so many of each thing: chickens, canned goods, water, various "select" goods. So if they have two memberships and 20 people want water, 16 of those people are probably out of luck. I do NOT know if they have made any kind of arrangements with management, considering they are running a business that had two previous owners, at least one of whom started getting their goods delivered lakeside from Costco after the bus-burning incidents along the corrider to Chapala some years back.

46 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

As far as I am aware the Oxxos and 711's are still selling.  I don't know for how much longer though.  Nor do I comprehend the reason why they would stop selling it.  Have the Jehova Witnesses finally taken over or something?

They have stopped selling alcohol to try to reduce domestic violence with people kept in close quarters at home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe that with confinement the pregnancies go up and so do domestic violence so it akes sense to cut out alcohol especially the cheap stuff. Of course in some areas it makes no difference because people in indigenous comunities make their own and they will continue selling it. They sell the one clock, 2 block etc.. posh in Chiapas  the strongest being the one block..

Can anyone substantiate the claim of the OP that Walmart is not selling alcohol or is this another case of FAKE NEWS on this site? Just in case, I too just left El Torito with 2 gallons of my favorite cheap vino tinto that I used to get at Paz. I can do without toilet paper (paper towels will do) but not my daily dose of vino tinto...proven to be good for the heart!!!

Shopped at Walmart two hours ago. The booze is definitely off sale, off limits. They have taped off the racks. I thought , perhaps, it was another local government edict to discourage out of town parties this holiday weekend in line with the traffic check points, so interesting to read above that Walmart will keep the department closed down through the end of May. La Paz was closed also when I drove by.

http://www.paginaquesiselee.com/contenido/ultimas-noticias/item/1765-suspenden-venta-de-bebidas-alcoholicas-en-chapala?fbclid=IwAR115HtlWlE7eU2ob5NmTrM-3VVKjjTmypxWfzWLI-IXsw8TxNaRFdVeUqk

Because it is not an essential activity, the sale of alcoholic beverages in the municipality of #Chapala has been suspended from April 10 and until the 30th of the same month, as part of the preventive measures to do in front of the new #Coronavirus (Covid-19).

• Like 1