Chapala.com Webboard

liox phone service

SunFan

I tried an ilox VOIP call and again after a minute or so the call just dropped. The service is basically useless.

VOIP has been around for twenty years. Thousands of companies offer it as a product in North America. Can anyone suggest a reason why it seems to flummox ilox?

TIA

SunFan

1 hour ago, EldonNova said:

When I speak to my family in Canada, I usually get 5 or 6 minutes before it drops.  Now I just use my cell.  I do prefer their internet service though.  There have been a few outages since I subscribed, but still a way better than Telmex.

Sorry ,but it's been so long that I can't even remember any outage with Telmex Infinitum internet and my Vonage Canada, which was usually very brief, in any event.

pedro kertesz

6 hours ago, SunFan said:

I tried an ilox VOIP call and again after a minute or so the call just dropped. The service is basically useless. VOIP has been around for twenty years. Thousands of companies offer it as a product in North America. Can anyone suggest a reason why it seems to flummox ilox?

TIA

Well maybe not 'thousands', but you point is well taken.  

I wonder if iLOX's business elsewhere is more "Internet carrier" and less offshoot services like fiber to the home and VOIP. There are things about VOIP that are unique to it... having not so much to do with keeping the Internet humming but rather keeping a particular phone session going. DTMF is one and QoS another and they both have to be tweaked occasionally and can be unique to a given connection. Maintaining a 'call session' is more tricky than just sending data back and forth over the Internet. 

Most of the VOIP NOB in the past has been over coax (Cable) or MaBell (DSL). I have no idea whether using fiber as the underlying carrier presents other 'hurdles' to VOIP as that is not where my experience lies. 

My ILox internet and VOIP service have both been excellent. Only two outages, in one the cable to my house was broke by a fallen tree branch. It was serviced within a couple of days. In the second, less than a week ago, a neighborhood outage was repaired within hours. 

VOIP depends on your app and service, too. Though I've not seen it confirmed anywhere, but WhatsApp seems to drop out at just under an hour, though you can get back on immediately. FaceTime has worked best for me, between iPhones.

¡Gracias a los trabajadores de iLox!

The problem that I was referencing in my post was the ILox Mexican land line. I have a toll free (US and Canada) 888 business forwarding number directed to my land line here so that was the problem. All back to normal since I finally got Telmex phone only back. I also have Skype that does not seem to be affected. Again, ILox internet...GREAT!!! Phone NO!!!

Just to be accurate....  iLOX does NOT provide a 'land line'. The words 'land line' refer only to the old wired connections such as Telmex provides here and all the Ma Bells did/do NOB. I don't think that anyone mistakenly assumed that you were talking about anything other than your iLOX VOIP service. You and most folks have suggested that it sucks... only a few seem to have an OK experience with it.

That Ilox VOip would be inferior seems strange.  In Central Mexico Ilox is not only an ISP but also a carriers carrier.  They transit traffic for the likes of Cogent.  They provide business grade VOIP service.  So why do the Ilox landline ports perform poorly?  I don't know.  I haven't hooked mine up, still use my Telmex copper one.  My Callcentric VOip over Ilox works flawlessly...Maybe its their crappy modems..

• Thanks 1

I don't even know how to set up the iLox VOIP. I've plugged a landline into both ports on the modem and it provides a dial tone, but when I try any number I just get a busy signal. When I call the number from my own phones, I hear a ring but the phone itself does not ring.  Modem settings internally show the phone number as idle, with no way to turn it on or off. I have sent an email to the NOC... they have not been very responsive lately. I asked a week ago about the TV channels; no answer.

1 minute ago, ComputerGuy said:

iLox responded to my email, on this Easter Sunday, and activated my VOIP.

Try giving someone a call. See if the call drops after a minute or so as it does in my case.

I would love to port my Telmex number and give them the heave ho but its not worth it as a risk.

SunFan

Even if you like the iLox phone service, you should be aware that when the electricity is out, so is your phone service. That is not the case with Telmex. Telmex works if you have an id!ot phone (uses no electricity and is available at Walmart for about 150 pesos) and you just directly plug the line into the Telmex outlet in the wall.

Yes, a cell phone works too but only until it needs recharging.

True Ferret, but compared to 6 to 9 years ago I've had terrific CFE service recently.

In fact I think my last outage was the planned maintenance last Spring when they replaced a bunch of their poles in San Antonio.

SunFan

After trying to patient with the myriad of ILOX phone problems and waiting for responses from my many reports other than everything looks fine I re-ported back to Telmex. The frustrating part was ILOX's unwillingness to admit a problem existed. My neighbor who has ILOX only uses her cell because she can' make calls on her VOIP phone. 

A warning however. Unless something has changed, Telmex no longer installs traditional landlines. The ones that work without power. Even on a port back from ILOX they installed a modem and said to plug the phone into the back. VOIP only. 

• Sad 1

CFE were here in lower SAT for over 2 weeks replacing poles and turning of the luz for days at a time. They were also unintentionally (or intentionally) breaking other provider wires including ILox. It happened twice to me and after calling they were somewhat prompt to restore the service. So if you are in an area where CFE is changing poles BEWARE!!!