Chapala.com Webboard

Disciplined countries like Mexico winning the Covid-19 battle: navy chief

Jim Bowie

A friend, who is a Fire Fighter in Chapala told me that there were two persons who returned from Germany who had tested positive for the Corona Virus. I asked him if he was sure of this. He said No, but that is what he was told. Apparently they were tested at a local hospital and taken to a hospital in some city or possibly a suburb of Guadalajara that I was not familiar with.

He commented that he sure hoped that what he had heard was not true. Oh, he said he believed that the testing was done either at or via persons from the New hospital in San Antonio.

Alfaro is now saying that Jalisco's direct purchases of test kits will be allowed to clear customs and he has re-ordered them. When Jalisco begins our own testing we might begin to see some real numbers.  Meanwhile the highway temperture checks continue. If you like Alfaro or not, he has taken far more precautions and much quicker than AMLO ever thought of..

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I know of a case in France where husband and wife just got the virus, the husband is on his 4th day, one day has fever and one day is ok.. He was seen by my sister with his kid boinb shopping yesterday.. My sister went nuts and told his mother in law who got after him in a way only a mother in law can do,,, but he touch the elevator buttons and the handles of the door etc.. so in hs building alone he contaminated a bunch of metal.. imagine how many people like this there are.... That is th eproblem even in places where the confnement ids taken pretty seriously.. Imagine Mexico.. 

Jalisco seems to be more serious than Oaxac or CHiapas but still the plce is a time bomb.

• Like 1

And anyone spouting nonsense about "herd immunity" is as wrong as can be. There has been no evidence to support that notion. South Korea just reported reactivated symptoms in 91 patients who were considered to have recovered. 

They're digging mass graves in New York now. Expect that to happen here. 

I cannot imagine Mexico  without anyone at the funeral either and that will be a killer too.. The families are very large.. In the villages most of the village goes to the funeral so there will be more gathering , like it or no and more spreading of the virus..In Paris the coffins are piled up in Rungs where the abastos is , in a very large warehouse.. Family like one or two people are allowed to come, guarding their 2m distance and from the distance can see where the casket is, cannot get near it and all that for 200 euros and then it is off to the crematorium .. not sure if they are burying people or not.... Talking about cold.. and sad..

23 minutes ago, bmh said:

I cannot imagine Mexico  without anyone at the funeral either and that will be a killer too.. The families are very large.. In the villages most of the village goes to the funeral so there will be more gathering , like it or no and more spreading of the virus..In Paris the coffins are piled up in Rungs where the abastos is , in a very large warehouse.. Family like one or two people are allowed to come, guarding their 2m distance and from the distance can see where the casket is, cannot get near it and all that for 200 euros and then it is off to the crematorium .. not sure if they are burying people or not.... Talking about cold.. and sad..

The order in Jalisco for covid deaths is the body must be burried or cremated within 8 hours of death.

1 hour ago, bmh said:

Actually , he could not even do that right.. if you look at the number of death per million Spain, Italy France and the UK beat the heck out of him..

You think 202 deaths/1M is better than 61 deaths/1M. Wow ! Just maybe you should look again. Seems, to me, they did much better in the US than France.:(

1 hour ago, bmh said:

Actually , he could not even do that right.. if you look at the number of death per million Spain, Italy France and the UK beat the heck out of him..

Um, nope.  Do the math.  Divide the number of deaths by the total population.  

Let's don't start with the politics again.  There is no "him", there are 50 state governments with a wide range of rules and responses and innumerable local governments all involved.  In the U.S. it is most definitely "them."  And there's a high concentration factor in just one state, New York.  That's an interesting parallel to Italy where there was a great concentration around Milan attributed to a lot of travel from the Orient, age of population and very high levels of air pollution.

However at the same time Italy is further along on the curve as are Spain and France, so it should be slowing down there.  

Now turning our attention to Mexico, has anyone noticed there is a significantly younger age dying from the virus here as compared to the world average?  I read the authorities are attributing this to obesity, diabetes and general poor health of younger people here when compared to the figures for the rest.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

Now turning our attention to Mexico, has anyone noticed there is a significantly younger age dying from the virus here as compared to the world average?  I read the authorities are attributing this to obesity, diabetes and general poor health of younger people here when compared to the figures for the rest.

Those would certainly be factors. I'm sure the average Mexican's daily ration of 2 litres of CocaCola doesn't help either 🙂

Also, one thing I haven't seen talked about here, unless I missed it, in fact I don't see it talked about much in general, is that the amount of the virus you are exposed to affects the severity of the symptoms. If someone with coronavirus sneezes or coughs on you, you are going to be exposed to much more of the virus than if someone who may be infected simply breathes next to you. I've read some scientific reports which mention this. So Mexicans, who tend to have quite a few family members sharing a home, and who are going out and about without taking precautions, may be getting exposed to a higher dosage of the virus than others.

• Like 1

I would not put much stock in any death stats.  I suspect all countries have different protocols and for sure every country is behind.  NY is so overwhelmed that many of the cause of death forms required by the CDC are not being completed and sent in.  The same applies to many other states.  A funeral director in a Midwestern state reported he took in three corpses and only one had CV19 listed on the death certificate.  The family members of the other two told him the cause of death was CV19 also.  So 2 out of 3 CV19 deaths went unreported in one instance.

CDC no longer reports on their website CV19 testing data.  Go figure.

Maybe since there have been so few CV19 test kits made available to the medical community, the cause of death in many cases is mistakenly being attributed to pneumonia or heart disease.  IDK but just a thought.

• Like 1

https://news.yahoo.com/mexican-health-workers-protested-lack-011134368.html

"Now some of them are getting sick. At least 329 doctors and nurses in the country's public medical system have tested positive for COVID-19, according to health officials.

ahoo

2184920418?pid=SmartBanner&c=US_Internal_YMktg_Organic_Smartbanner_Safari&af_sub1=Internal&af_sub2=US_YMktg&af_sub3=&af_sub4=&af_sub5=iOSSmartbanner__Banner_
"Mexican health workers protested a lack of protective gear. Now they are getting COVIDKate Linthicum
LA TimesApril 10, 2020, 8:11 PM CDT
Workers sanitize a public hospital in Jalisco. <span class="copyright">(Getty Images)</span>
Workers sanitize a public hospital in Jalisco. (Getty Images)

For weeks, staff at public hospitals across Mexico have been protesting a shortage of basic protective supplies, including masks, gloves and even hand soap.

Some doctors on the front lines say the true number of infections may be higher and blame politicians who have slashed hospital budgetsin recent years for leaving them unprepared to fight the virus.

In the tourist resort of Cabo San Lucas, 42 workers at a public hospital recently tested positive for the disease.

In the city of Monclova, near the border with Texas, a truck driver who had been in the United States spread the infection to several dozen health workers, at least three of whom have died, authorities say.

In recent days, attention has been focused on Regional General Hospital No. 72 in Tlalnepantla de Baz, a community just north of Mexico City. Federal authorities say 19 medical workers there have tested positive, and staff say at least 10 others have symptoms and are awaiting test results.

"This didn't have to happen," said a medical resident who came down with a fever and a headache on Sunday, two weeks after she treated a patient who was suspected of having COVID-19 and later died.

The resident said she worked without a mask, goggles and scrubs, because none were available. The doctor, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because she was not authorized to give interviews, said she is resting at home and awaiting her own test results for COVID-19.

Two other doctors who work at the same hospital confirmed that health workers lack basic protective gear.

"We're all terrified that we're going to be the next to get sick," said another medical resident, who said she was recently forced to intubate a patient presumed to have COVID-19 but was not provided with a mask.

"I'm afraid that I might die, or that I could carry the disease home to my family, and they could die," the doctor said.

Workers convert the gym of the steel company Ternium into a field hospital for COVID-19 patients in Monterrey, Mexico. <span class="copyright">(AFP via Getty Images)</span>
Workers convert the gym of the steel company Ternium into a field hospital for COVID-19 patients in Monterrey, Mexico. (AFP via Getty Images)

Supply shortages in Mexico's overburdened public hospitals predate the coronavirus crisis.

Sometimes, doctors and nurses have had to ask patients to buy them surgical masks, gowns and other basic supplies. At the hospital in Tlalnepantla, shortages of soap and other cleaning supplies have led to outbreaks of colitis and other infectious disease.

But the severity of the issue has come into focus in recent months as the coronavirus has spread from the industrial city of Wuhan, China, to other regions in the world.

Mexico has confirmed 233 COVID-19 deaths and 3,844 cases, but experts believe those numbers reflect low levels of testing and that the real number of infections could be eight times the official total.

In the hospital in Tlalnepantla, doctors have petitioned their supervisors to provide more widespread testing of both patients and medical personnel.

Since the first case arrived in Mexico in late February, hospital workers throughout the country have been protesting, calling on authorities to provide more protective gear."

Some doctors on the front lines say the true number of infections may be higher and blame politicians who have slashed hospital budgetsin recent years for leaving them unprepared to fight the virus.
  • Thanks 2

On 4/11/2020 at 3:57 PM, Mainecoons said:

Um, nope.  Do the math.  Divide the number of deaths by the total population.  

Let's don't start with the politics again.  There is no "him", there are 50 state governments with a wide range of rules and responses and innumerable local governments all involved.  In the U.S. it is most definitely "them."  And there's a high concentration factor in just one state, New York.  That's an interesting parallel to Italy where there was a great concentration around Milan attributed to a lot of travel from the Orient, age of population and very high levels of air pollution.

However at the same time Italy is further along on the curve as are Spain and France, so it should be slowing down there.  

Thank you!!

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2020 at 3:57 PM, Mainecoons said:

That's an interesting possible connection. I haven't seen anything on the comparative age of those diagnosed or dying from Covid-19. I tried to google it but didn't see anything onpoint. Admittedly, I wasn't sure how to phrase the search. Do you recall, or does someone else know, the numbers or source for that? (Quarantine Disclosure - this is a legitimate question, not a snarky or doubting response :)

• Thanks 1

According to tonight's medical press update from CDMX,  in Mexico nobody under 25 has died; fatalities are 5.1% ages 25-59 and the rest are 60+, presumably due to other medical complications including hypertension, diabetes, and obesity;  then, to a lesser degree, asthma and other medical conditions. 332 deaths to date; 58% male and 42% female.

The stats are updated nightly and you can watch the updates at 7 pm.

15 minutes ago, jrod said:

According to tonight's medical press update from CDMX,  in Mexico nobody under 25 has died; fatalities are 5.1% ages 25-59 and the rest are 60+, presumably due to other medical complications including hypertension, diabetes, and obesity;  then, to a lesser degree, asthma and other medical conditions. 332 deaths to date; 58% male and 32% female.

The stats are updated nightly and you can watch the updates at 7 pm.

And, we are sure these are close to accurate? You trust them?

8 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

And, we are sure these are close to accurate? You trust them?

MEDICAL STAFF IN MEXICO CITY PROTEST HEALTH SYSTEM COVERING UP COVID-19 CASES

https://www.vallartadaily.com/medical-staff-in-mexico-city-protest-health-system-covering-up-covid-19-cases/?fbclid=IwAR0sgzZ1K0t7ry-zri23ImkWQrrO3Y9NYPxamMEVemG13wD54N45RvcNy3M

https://asiatimes.com/2020/04/mexicos-demolition-derby-accelerates/

"Mexico’s demolition derby accelerates

The Covid-19 crisis is devastating the country with increasing strength, while AMLO continues to deny facts
By MANUEL SUÁREZ-MIERAPRIL 14, 2020

Mexican President-elect Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador is an anti-establishment leftist whose policies have alarmed economists. He will take office on Saturday. Photo: Ulises Ruiz / AFP Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador is an anti-establishment leftist whose policies have alarmed economists. Photo: Ulises Ruiz / AFP

The destruction of Mexico’s institutions, economy and democracy under the inept and increasingly autocratic regime of President Andrés Manuel López Obrador (AMLO) has accelerated in the last few weeks with his incompetent management of the Covid-19 pandemic. The crisis is devastating Mexico with increasing strength, while he continues to deny facts and invent his own rosy scenario with a daily barrage of lies that raise questions over his mental health.

Until just three weeks ago, he denied that the pandemic was a serious threat and kept advising fellow citizens to go out and embrace people, something he has done himself during his feverish travel schedule across the country.

Last week he changed his tune and declared that the pandemic was “a godsend to ensure the consolidation of the ‘transformations’ that he plans for the country.”

His government has been hiding the true number of people infected with the virus that causes Covid-19, with an official tally of just 4,000. Even according to his own spokesman on the pandemic, the number is at least 10 times as large.

ATF

Under his orders, the government has been classifying victims of the pandemic as suffering from “atypical pneumonia” – or other respiratory ailments – instead of Covid-19. Part of the reason the official number of infected is so small is the dismally low number of tests performed: 32,000 in a population of 130 million.

The health system is in a disastrous situation thanks to AMLO’s dramatic reduction of the health program budget, not buying sufficient drugs and medical devices on time, and stubbornly fixating on centralizing all purchases in the hands of an aide who lacks the necessary expertise.

As a result, hospitals do not have the means to treat patients properly. "

• Thanks 1