Chapala.com Webboard

Expats and stimulus check

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 11:16 AM, catbird said:

I received mine Tuesday. It was deposited into my US checking account. It was $1,200.  I didn't ask for it and don't think I should have gotten it since I don't live in the states anymore.Not going to help the US economy much.  Another example of the US government not spending tax dollars very carefully. The next few month are going to be interesting.

But that's not necessarily true, catbird. We received ours on the 16h (direct deposit) and will use it for things we need...most of which will be ordered online from US companies. It's long distance, but it's still stimulating the economy.

(small addition) BTW, we used TurboTax, had filed in mid-Feb, and the money was deposited to the same account as used in TT. Truthfully, I was expecting us to be one of the SNAFUs because that's usually our luck. This time, it was a pleasant surprise.

21 minutes ago, Tingting said:

But that's not necessarily true, catbird. We received ours on the 16h (direct deposit) and will use it for things we need...most of which will be ordered online from US companies. It's long distance, but it's still stimulating the economy.

I feel no compunction to use the money to stimulate the US economy.  I am quite happy to use these funds to stimulate our local economy and to contribute to those who are giving out 'dispensas' to families in dire straits due to loss of work.  There is not much of a safety net here for those out of jobs due to the Quedate en Casa.  Those of us who can afford to help them at this time, we are their safety net.

For many of us retirees here, this money is a bonus.  Be generous. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Colo-Rick said:

Question:  I have a small refund check from IRS; Bancomer won't cash US Government checks.  Other than wallpaper, does anyone have suggestions?

If you have a US bank with mobile app you may be able to send foto thru app to deposit.  Wells Fargo app has that function. 

3 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

I feel no compunction to use the money to stimulate the US economy.  I am quite happy to use these funds to stimulate our local economy and to contribute to those who are giving out 'dispensas' to families in dire straits due to loss of work.  There is not much of a safety net here for those out of jobs due to the Quedate en Casa.  Those of us who can afford to help them at this time, we are their safety net.

For many of us retirees here, this money is a bonus.  Be generous. 

Why? I'm genuinely not trying to be combative or argumentative, but I feel no compunction to stimulate anyone's economy. I spend enough money locally to make a tiny difference and I spend enough in the US to make another very tiny difference. I think this is truly a case of everyone should support their own causes, but don't expect others to follow your path just because you're passionate about it. They may, they may not, but it's for each to decide.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2020 at 5:54 PM, RickS said:

Not exactly. If one does NOT receive SS but HAS filed a 2018 or 2019 AND paid their taxes electronically out of their bank account, the stimulus will be deposited into THAT bank account.

Otherwise, yes a check 'is in the mail'. Just don't look for it anytime soon. 

Not anytime soon. It took two months to start distributing the stimulus checks in 2008.  Why should it be different now?

Single taxpayer with AGI of less than $75,000 gets $1200 or married taxpayers filing jointly with AGI of less than $150,000 get $2400; Head of Household less than $112,500 get $2400. Above that I believe all are reduced by $5 for every $100 over the 75 or 150 or 112.5.    Dependent children under 17 get an extra $500 each added.

3 hours ago, Paco Loco said:

I keep checking at the IRS website and it’s always no info. Has anyone here received a stimulus deposit into the bank account where they receive their monthly Social Security payment?

As of 4/25.... NO.  It was my understanding that they would start this option yesterday....

3 hours ago, Paco Loco said:

I keep checking at the IRS website and it’s always no info. Has anyone here received a stimulus deposit into the bank account where they receive their monthly Social Security payment?

Same answer, as of 4/25, NO

3 hours ago, Fred Habacht said:

AARP is one of many sites that have stated that date.

All that I can see from AARP is this: 

End of April

At the end of April, adult Social Security retirement, survivor and disability insurance (SSDI) beneficiaries who did not file tax returns in 2018 or 2019 will receive their payments if they receive their benefits via direct deposit.

I see no other info from AARP that addresses folks who DID file in either 2018 or 2019 but did not get a refund but DO get SS deposited monthly into a bank account. That is the question and probably where 'most' of us fall.

We'll see if .colibri. gets his/hers on April 30th. Who knows... maybe 'we' will also. 😉

? i live here in  mexico on ssn i have direct deposit to my mexican bank account directly from ssn. i dont need to file taxes, irs web site says i dont need to do anything. but other info says you need american bank accout ???? so i am dazed and confused as to what needs to be done.

years ago i used to pay taxes when i worked but now incapabel to work . 

15 minutes ago, .Colibri. said:

Just checked the "get my payment" website, our Social Security stimulus will be deposited on 30 April.

Your terminology of "Social Security Stimulus" puzzles me.  Are you trying to say the "Economic Stimulus sent to your Social Security bank account"? 

Can you share whether or not you 1)Filed a 2018 or 2019 tax return, 2) got a tax refund to a bank account or 3) paid taxes to the IRS 

Previously when I went to the "Get My Payment" website it said it could not process my request.  Now it is asking me to enter a bank account where I wish the Stimulus to be sent! But their  website is still saying that if you don't have a bank account established with the IRS.... generally because you have previously received a refund from the IRS.... that they will send the Stimulus $s to the bank where/if you receive a monthly SS check WITHOUT ONE HAVING TO DO ANYTHING/ENTER ANY INFORMATION.

We'll see what happens 'by the end of April... if anything!

P.S.  I DID see that this week they started sending out physical Stimulus checks to those who qualifiy... in the order of smallest income to largest. That 'check' process is destined to go on until September since they can only produce about 5 million checks a week.

6 minutes ago, Will L said:

? i live here in  mexico on ssn i have direct deposit to my mexican bank account directly from ssn. i dont need to file taxes, irs web site says i dont need to do anything. but other info says you need american bank accout ???? so i am dazed and confused as to what needs to be done.

years ago i used to pay taxes when i worked but now incapabel to work . 

Yes, their site has some misleading/contradictory information. I have not seen anywhere that they won't send the Stimulus to a foreign bank to citizens living abroad if they/IRS has that account number already. But who knows.

Sorry RickS, didn't mean to puzzle or confuse anyone, just didn't know exactly what to call it.  We did not file taxes in 2018 or 2019.  We receive Social Security only and have direct deposit to US bank accounts.  Today was the first time the IRS page gave us anything other than the can't process information message.

• Thanks 1