Chapala.com Webboard

Moving to Lakeside!

Brad

On 4/4/2020 at 8:17 PM, mudgirl said:

You're planning to move in the midst of a pandemic? Are you aware that all of Mexico is on shelter-in-place orders? Are you aware that Mexicans aren't being at all friendly to foreigners they see travelling, as they don't want them spreading more virus cases here? Are you planning to quarantine for 14 days when you get here and then self-isolate for as long as necessary?

Just picking this up Thank You!  We were down Lakeside at our home until the end of March just as the Pandemic was starting there. We have much to do with selling our Northern property and will sit tight until things settle somewhat. We were not aware of the attitudes but happy to hear that they are taking things seriously and as of this date it is obvious. Lots of details evolved with the move --Animals-Car------Shipping etc. Yes! if we self quarantine it would be fine--We did when we returned up North--actually 3 weeks and still laying low except for essentials.   Thanks for your insights! 

On 4/4/2020 at 9:17 PM, mudgirl said:

You're planning to move in the midst of a pandemic? Are you aware that all of Mexico is on shelter-in-place orders? Are you aware that Mexicans aren't being at all friendly to foreigners they see travelling, as they don't want them spreading more virus cases here? Are you planning to quarantine for 14 days when you get here and then self-isolate for as long as necessary?

All of Mexico is not under shelter in place orders. The Mexicans  in the Chapala and Guadalajara area  are very friendly to foreigners.  Maybe it is different in Sayulita.

Do you quarantine for 14 days in your home after visiting anyone or any place outside of your home mudgirl? 

You have been to Costco and Mega.... did you return home and quarantine  for 14 days mudgirl? 

If no ....maybe you should take your own advice!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

Do you quarantine for 14 days in your home after visiting anyone or any place outside of your home mudgirl? 

You have been to Costco and Mega.... did you return home and quarantine  for 14 days mudgirl? 

If no ....maybe you should take your own advice!

For starters, someone decided to reply to a post I made almost 2 months ago, so some things have changed. And yes, I live in the countryside and only go out among others once every 2 weeks, so you can take your presumptions and your sanctimonious attitude elsewhere.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

For starters, someone decided to reply to a post I made almost 2 months ago, so some things have changed. And yes, I live in the countryside and only go out among others once every 2 weeks, so you can take your presumptions and your sanctimonious attitude elsewhere.

Again you should follow your own advice.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Brad said:

Thanks for the info-  With all that is going on we are having a heck of a time--but will be OK!  Selling--and 2 pups plus trying to drive them down from Portland Or---Any info would help- We are PR and have a home in Chula Vista Lakeside. Thanks!

We moved with two cats, so I feel your pain!   You can contact Geoff via email geoff@usbordermovers.com or by phone at 480-232-3518.  He and his crew did a really great job for us.  Good luck with everything!  

5 hours ago, Brad said:

Snip.....                              We found out we can't drive down with an 8 year old car with US plates--

Gracias   Brad 

Care to explain why you believe this?  If it is for personal reasons, so be it. But no Mexican law would preclude you from doing so.

Can highly recommend Strom White.  They did a great job for us.  Don’t bring too much.  Many items that are usable NOB are not appropriate here.  Kitchen items are a must bring.  Expensive art work is better sold.  Electronics are good to bring.  Clothing is a good thing to bring.

Agreed. An estimate to nationalize could be between $2500-$4,500, then Jalisco fees for title/tags.

Would have to be done at the border by a bonded Mexican Broker. No do-it-yourself. Vehicles nationalized in this manner, with a reputable Broker, have been 'scam free'.  Getting one done anywhere other than at the border, not so scam free. And then there's the Mexico plated ones....

3 hours ago, Toyhauler 4u said:

I sent a PM in April but never heard from you.  I have a truck and trailer. I have no issues crossing the border.  You and your animals can ride along.

Hola Toyhauler,  I have my lake house for sale in Oklahoma.  If it sales would you be interested in hauling load from central Oklahoma to Ajijic.  My wife is Mexican so should have no problem at border.

On 4/5/2020 at 7:48 AM, #HarryB said:

When I moved , last century , I looked at each piece and ( at that time it was $4 a pound to move) asked my self was it worth xdollars to move/ could I replace it SOB for less. Today the availability of replacement here has multiplied many times. I would use Strom White

Yes, Harry, but then wasn't the peso around 9 or so to the USD? Now it's around 23 (mas o menos). Even with that, is the replacement cost  still really not feasible?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rafterbr said:

Hola Toyhauler,  I have my lake house for sale in Oklahoma.  If it sales would you be interested in hauling load from central Oklahoma to Ajijic.  My wife is Mexican so should have no problem at border.

I can do that.  I am like a Mexican U-Haul.  You load, I drive , you unload.

BTW, I don't have problems crossing the border in either direction.  I will send you my pamphlet if you send me an email  toyhauler4u@gmail.com