Chapala.com Webboard

Moving to Lakeside!

Brad

Hola!  We have had a home Lakeside for 12 years and finally are retiring. We only spend part of the year however are now Permanente and selling our  Home in Portland Oregon---We have checked out Storm White and Chapala Moving however need some insights from you all. This probably has been discussed in another thread and if so please direct us to it--Can't find it!  We are trying to bring part of our lives with us but need insights--Any would be appreciated--Gracias 

You're planning to move in the midst of a pandemic? Are you aware that all of Mexico is on shelter-in-place orders? Are you aware that Mexicans aren't being at all friendly to foreigners they see travelling, as they don't want them spreading more virus cases here? Are you planning to quarantine for 14 days when you get here and then self-isolate for as long as necessary?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 5

The OP said, “We only spend part of the year however are now Permanente and selling our  Home in Portland Oregon.” They are in early planning stages and haven’t even yet sold their NOB house. Throttle back and help them with their planning. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Amigo Alex said:

According to the latest news, as of May 1st. Both U.S. and Mexico want everyone to resume work. Your worried about someone moving down.

I'm not the least bit interested in what governments "want people to do" if it means that this virus is just going to keep spreading and killing. No one has any idea at this point if it's going to be safe to resume work by May 1st, and from all the medical and scientific info I've read, there's no way it will be.

• Thanks 1

Run a search here on moving to get tips on what to bring.  When we moved here 12 years ago we brought everything.  It was damned expensive but at that time there was a lot less available here than there is now.  We also had all custom made furnishings that fit this house perfectly.  Since you already have a place here don't you already have it furnished?

We found the best stuff we brought were kitchen things, electronics and tools.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I moved , last century , I looked at each piece and ( at that time it was $4 a pound to move) asked my self was it worth xdollars to move/ could I replace it SOB for less. Today the availability of replacement here has multiplied many times. I would use Strom White

It was hard to do, but I didn't move my many books.  They weigh a lot. I did bring a few of my reference books  A kindle weighs very little, and LCS has a fairly decent library.'

As others have pointed out, it's not much fun around here in the midst of a pandemic....but best of luck!

You've already had a home here for 12 years? What could you possibly need to bring except yourselves. imho

I'd rather be here in a Pandemic. Social isolation ain't so bad with beautiful weather and a good internet connection.

• Like 1

our move was about 3000 miles in 2006. I bought a trailer n Canada [with a NAFTA certificate], made by the Mexican Mennonites.Sold it here and  had an 88 Ford Ranger to haul it. Brought work shop equipment[some large]. all the kitchen things we were used to using. We sold all our personal antiques when I sold everything from my antique business. Our paintings a few books and just kept our favourite chairs and a stool. I was going to make all the furniture for the house here and ended up just making a few things but once arrived discovered some really wonderful Mexican traditional furniture and all I did was an antique look paint on some of it like this colonial revival carved credenza which i bought last Nov. for a mere  $3000 pesos and then did the paint and distressing

done.jpg

Strom moved us her 12 1/2 years ago from San Carolos, Sonora MX.  They were great, on time and insured everything.  We had a whole house full of furniture, all of our clothes, basically everything we owned moved from one state in MX to Jalisco.  Highly recommend them from our experience.

When we moved to MX  late 1997, we used one company in the U.S. to move all of our possessions to Nogales, AZ, then used another company from AZ to San Carlos, Sonora.  Don't have their name anymore.

We moved recently and got multiple quotes before selecting a company.  After our research we chose US Bordermovers.  They took care of everything, from packing to handling the border crossing to putting our things in place in our new home.  Their pricing was competitive and their delivery guarantee window was much more narrow than what we got from Strom White.  We flew in on a Thursday and our things arrived the following Tuesday.  The company is based in Arizona.  PM me if you would like additional information.  Good luck with your move!

Somewhere, some years ago, I got the impression that if a gringo bought or built a home in Mexico that a vehicle plus a trailer-full of 'used' household items including furniture and major electronics was allowed across the Mexican border tax free.  This might also be related to Mexican visa status, presumably Permanente.  Without expecting a comprehensive answer, if this is this the case, what might such current legal provisions be called, for future research?  Thanks.

36 minutes ago, utilitus said:
Somewhere, some years ago, I got the impression that if a gringo bought or built a home in Mexico that a vehicle plus a trailer-full of 'used' household items including furniture and major electronics was allowed across the Mexican border tax free.  This might also be related to Mexican visa status, presumably Permanente.  Without expecting a comprehensive answer, if this is this the case, what might such current legal provisions be called, for future research?  Thanks.

A couple of years ago I towed up and down a Mexican 5x8 trailer of personal items with my Mexican car. I just winged it at the border, they made me unload some things and after about 20 minutes told me to put it all back and ended up charging 1500 pesos to continue. As long as you don't have a load of new expensive items its pretty easy I think for permanentes

There is a rule which allows a one time load of things to brought down for permanentes but I didn't want to hassle with any paperwork

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

There is a rule which allows a one time load of things to brought down for permanentes but I didn't want to hassle with any paperwork

To be excluded from the IVA tax your items must enter Mexico no later than 6 months from time visa is fully issued in Mexico. 

http://www.soniadiaz.mx/etc..html

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/4/2020 at 8:07 PM, Amigo Alex said:

When do you plan to move down to lakeside? I have a Astro cargo van with heavy duty racks and a small trailer sitting in San Francisco. If this can work, let me know or if you need more info, you can call me at 376 763-5527.

Thanks!  Just found this!

On 4/5/2020 at 11:07 AM, Mainecoons said:

Strom moved us 12 years ago.  Let's just say we wouldn't call them again.  PM me for details if you are curious.

One suggestion:  Try and carry your fragile stuff and arts in your car when you drive down.  Don't ship them.

Thanks for the info---I just picked this up. I would like to know more since  I did contact them. Finding everything out has been enlightening to say the least. We found out we can't drive down with an 8 year old car with US plates--Having two 15 month old Aussies was the plan. Working on other ways. We might just sell the home at this point...    Way too much red Tape--We have PR ..  Who do you recommend for shipping. We have Art work etc. that must be handled properly ---! 

Any ideas?  would help...

Gracias   Brad 

On 4/5/2020 at 7:52 AM, Holalola said:

We moved recently and got multiple quotes before selecting a company.  After our research we chose US Bordermovers.  They took care of everything, from packing to handling the border crossing to putting our things in place in our new home.  Their pricing was competitive and their delivery guarantee window was much more narrow than what we got from Strom White.  We flew in on a Thursday and our things arrived the following Tuesday.  The company is based in Arizona.  PM me if you would like additional information.  Good luck with your move!

Thanks for the info-  With all that is going on we are having a heck of a time--but will be OK!  Selling--and 2 pups plus trying to drive them down from Portland Or---Any info would help- We are PR and have a home in Chula Vista Lakeside. Thanks!