Chapala.com Webboard

Swallow Deterrent

I sympathize. I rigged fuzzy metallic Christmas tree decor to deter a bird that fell in love with itself in an outside mirror. I looped it so it moved in the breeze, made a rustling sound and easily reflected light. I had the "decor" up for a year but it did the trick.

Cut up a mylar balloon.  Or aluminum foil if not a large area.  We had them coming into our car park through the one wall less side and had to hang an old sheet to keep them out.  If you start before they nest, they will often go elsewhere for the season. 

However, if they have nested and have eggs in it, please let them stay until all the nestlings are grown.  PS: We checked if there were eggs by using a shiny spatula to get a look inside the nest.  

• Thanks 1

Nothing works..  

They come each year, and the mess is not what is the problem.

The babies drop one by one and die on our terrace.  

They have never had a nest of babies that have survived. 

Each year we remove their nest, and they begin again the following year.

I would like to keep them away... How?  Yes we tried Aluminum Foil.

6 minutes ago, MexLuis said:

Nothing works..  

They come each year, and the mess is not what is the problem.

The babies drop one by one and die on our terrace.  

They have never had a nest of babies that have survived. 

Each year we remove their nest, and they begin again the following year.

I would like to keep them away... How?  Yes we tried Aluminum Foil.

Did you cut the pieces of foil with fringe and tape the solid end to the wall, etc?  Have done this for years and has always worked - I just leave it up all the time. Classic decor...

We once bought a house that had been vacant for a long time.  One bird pair had built a nest on the patio fan blade.  We removed it and all was well until spring came and the pair returned.  We sat on the patio a lot so when they would show up with a load of mud I would turn the fan on.  It took about a week but they finally gave up and moved on.  I hope it wasn’t to any of your patio fans!

Thanks, Xena.  Thinking it wasn't available here, I would bring Vicks VapoRub down with me, along with other stuff that I have also discovered is available down here. As time goes by, I am finding fewer and fewer things I need to bring down with me from North of the border.  :) 

On 4/4/2020 at 1:34 PM, ComputerGuy said:

Hang old CDs or DVDs nearby. The breeze causes bouncing reflections.

Agree 100% with this, it works very well.      Use thin string, so they can move easily.    Space them about 4 to 6 feet apart, at about eye level.