Chapala.com Webboard

If you are a U.S. citizen, why would/should you go back to the U.S.?

The ambassador says go home if you are a U.S. citizen.

Why?

IMO, even if you have Medicare, private insurance, the hospitals say they are overloaded; not enough masks, staff, ventilators, etc. 

How do you get to the U.S?

My response is I am staying here. If/When a vaccine is developed, or a proven treatment shown, I'll go to a private hospital here for it.  Why private hospital? IMO, they will have and they will give, for the right price.

Just looking for thoughts, if that's OK.

17 minutes ago, CalGal said:

What he said was.....if you are an American VISITOR or Snowbird, you should go back now.  This is not about Americans who live here permanently.

I would say there's a strong hint to us as well:

"If you're a US resident here in Mexico, please think long and hard about your personal situation and whether or not you might need the kind of intensive care that's available in the United States given your particular risk profile," he added.

Could gov. stop the monthly payments for the retirees living here? Already they stopped mine! Now I do not know what to do! 😱🤫

• Confused 1

From what I have found researching, your U.S. Social Security payments can/will not be stopped if you are living in another country. As I recall, there is an exception that your payments might be stopped if you join the military of another country, but then that may apply to citizenship, not sure.

I believe the next 90-days will be very telling for the World.

2 hours ago, El Menudo said:

What?  Are you speaking of your USA social security monthly checks.  I have never heard of this.

I am a widow of an American Citizen. I do not have SSN. :(

34 minutes ago, doberwoman said:

I am a widow of an American Citizen. I do not have SSN. :(

It is a requirement of non citizens or permanent residents receiving US SSI payments from a spouses account to spend 1 month every six months in the USA to continue to receive those benefits. This is nothing new. f you were not receiving SSI payments what government payments do you receive?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

It is a requirement of non citizens or permanent residents receiving US SSI payments from a spouses account to spend 1 month every six months in the USA to continue to receive those benefits. This is nothing new. f you were not receiving SSI payments what government payments do you receive?

I know that. I have been going to USA every year...! Thanks.

35 minutes ago, doberwoman said:

I know that. I have been going to USA every year...! Thanks.

Trying to help  So it is Social Security income?  If so do you visit a SS office when you arrive in the US  and when you leave for the proof to be handled in the USA? Or do you submit the proof to the FBU in Guadalajara.  If to GDL did you receive an email stating all was ok and you benefits would continue uninterrupted?

When do you see you deposits?  For example Non US citizen living in Mexico receiving spousal benefits:

Nov -2019 deposit on Oct 31

Dec-2019 deposit on  Dec 2

Jan 2020 deposit  on Jan 2

Feb 2020 deposit on Jan 31

March and April on the 2nd of both months.

• Thanks 1