Chapala.com Webboard

Empty Hospitals

1 minute ago, gringal said:

This, from SenorGoogle: 

"President Trump supposedly wanted to have his signature appear on the coronavirus relief checks being mailed to people across the United States.

"Mr. Trump has told people he wants his signature to appear on the direct payment checks that will go out to many Americans in the coming weeks," the Wall Street Journal reported, citing an administration official."

Source: the Washington Examiner, according to Google.

And who is the administration official?

It's an anonymous report.  See my comments above.  

This could be nothing more than something like "gee I wish I could sign these checks" picked up by an internal quisling and blown into something it is not.

Come back when you have attribution.

2 minutes ago, Ferret said:

And can you answer the questions or do you just want to bash?

Check it out yourself, you claim to understand it. :D

2 minutes ago, gringal said:

This, from SenorGoogle: 

"President Trump supposedly wanted to have his signature appear on the coronavirus relief checks being mailed to people across the United States.

"Mr. Trump has told people he wants his signature to appear on the direct payment checks that will go out to many Americans in the coming weeks," the Wall Street Journal reported, citing an administration official."

Who did he tell? Any idea? The wind? :D

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hud said:

Kinda like here ! :D

Don't worry;  soon there may be something resembling dictatorships, and there will be no need to think about the intricacies of government. The truly paranoid believe the current plague is biological warfare designed to subjugate the peoplle.  The rest of us have our doubts.🙃

As for the alleged Trump wishes, I'm not claiming he did or didn't, or how reliable the source was.....I'm just giving the reference as to where it came from.  I think he knows better than to do more than "wish" for that.

• Like 1

No problem.  After you actually read this, tell us what you would have done.  You do understand the travel ban did not and could not include U.S. citizens?  Would you have shut down the entire international travel system overnight back in February?

With the advent of COVID-19, the world has officially entered a dangerous new phase where a surge in international travel in recent decades served as the springboard -- jet fuel, really -- for an infectious disease potentially to kill hundreds of thousands in the U.S. and infect the global economy at breathtaking speed.

Easy to be a Monday morning quarterback.  Hard to recognize this is the dark side of globalization and no one or country really can or does control it.

27 minutes ago, gringal said:

This, from SenorGoogle: 

Pretty ridiculous as almost all payments will be made by direct deposit, no paper checks.

Point taken Honeybee. However, they were probably tested and quarantined before coming into Canada and they do have access to health care if necessary. Also, please post a link to your information.

https://www.cicnews.com/2020/04/employer-responsibilities-for-protecting-temporary-foreign-workers-and-canadians-against-coronavirus-0414042.html#gs.2p20t6

Mainecoons, that is why you have experts that you are supposed to listen to because NOBODY should be making those kind of decisions as a single entity.

16 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

What about the some 60,000 seasonal workers currently pouring in to Canada ? They have already caused and outbreak in BC. How does that old saying go, I think its something like "sweep your front door first before telling your neighbors how to sweep". 😒

Who says THEY caused the outbreak in BC?😬  And per capiita Canada is doing much better than the US. And old saying back atcha.

The link was posted on the OTB. It was an article from the St Catherine Standard. Ottawa has issued guidelines which in essence read that each grower/farmer is responsible to quarantine there workers. Having worked for 11 years with the largest fruit coop in Canada which happens to be in Jordan, Ontario, I can tell you that plants do not wait 2 weeks.😒

7 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Who says THEY caused the outbreak in BC?😬  And per capiita Canada is doing much better than the US. And old saying back atcha.

Exactly. Sick workers from Mexico? One of the least infected places on earth at the moment? I hardly think so.

• Like 1

I agree with CG. The article doesn't say from where the temporary workers came and I can't read the imbedded link within the link because I would have to pay The Toronto Star to read it.  https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/9923225-coronavirus-outbreak-among-b-c-migrant-workers-should-be-a-wake-up-call-to-farmers-industry-experts-say/

How about sticking to the FACTS?

You worked in ONE location of the fruit growing industry in Ontario. Please get back to us when you KNOW from where these particular temporary workers came. Regulations are now in place as per my link. If employers don't follow them, there will be hell to pay.

Yes, Vineland Growers covers a vary large "location". Also hell to pay after the fact is not very helpful. Switzerland for many years relied on seasonal workers. Many from Italy and Spain. Each canton (province) is responsible to ensure workers coming in are vetted from a medical stand point. I remember in Geneva they had a special place at the train station were migrant trains would park and migrants would then be processed. 

On a lighter note I still get a good chuckle from what a grower told me when the price of potash was sky high. I was delivering several pallets of potash and the grower could simply not stop screaming about the price. Then suddenly he stopped looked at me and said " do understand us farmers are born wired to complain" 😂

She may be right about the workers, but that's not really the point, to me... the point is the ridiculous assumption of "cause and effect" here: that "if x then y": if they are Mexican, they must be the infectors. Even more ludicrous: "affirming the consequent" or "if p then q":

"All cats die; Socrates died; therefore Socrates was a cat."

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

She may be right about the workers, but that's not really the point, to me... the point is the ridiculous assumption of "cause and effect" here: that "if x then y": if they are Mexican, they must be the infectors. Even more ludicrous: "affirming the consequent" or "if p then q":

"All cats die; Socrates died; therefore Socrates was a cat."

Absence of proof is not proof of absence

That is just a daft statement and is far too widely used by people to make themselves sound smarter than they actually are. Instead, you should be asking "why is it so important for some to believe that these Mexicans were infected?"