Chapala.com Webboard

Nogales Border Crossing

JGiff

@ 08:50 Sunday March 22 I called the Nogales USA border crossing and talked to an agent there and Canadians travelling back to Canada from Mexico ARE allowed to cross the border. I told him I was just wintering here in Chapala and he said no issue to cross the border heading home to Canada.   

29 minutes ago, JGiff said:

@ 08:50 Sunday March 22 I called the Nogales USA border crossing and talked to an agent there and Canadians travelling back to Canada from Mexico ARE allowed to cross the border. I told him I was just wintering here in Chapala and he said no issue to cross the border heading home to Canada.   

Friends from BC went through on their way home no problem.

Thank you so much for following up, JGiff.    We will be crossing tomorrow around noon, and I will be able to sleep tonight knowing this information.   Then 3 tense days in the U.S. and on to 14 days quarantine in Ontario.

Stay safe over the next 2 weeks until you can get home.  Then stay safe up north.   

14 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

My friends posted on FB yesterday that they are now home on Vancouver Island. Sure didn't take them long.

That's good to hear. That's where I live and I'm heading home 

Well, we 2 Canadians crossed the border around 1 pm on Monday, at Columbia Bridge.  No wait at all, in fact all the carrels were marked "Closed" and we thought they had closed the whole Entry, but it turned out they hadn't bothered turning them to 'Open" because they hadn't expected anyone.  It's that quiet.

Our border guard checked our passports, asked us a couple of cursory questions, asked us why we were leaving Mexico (we said 'because our government told us to go home') and we were done.  No checking of our temperature, no asking about symptoms.  In fairness, he may have been a trainee, and he did show our passport to his supervisor (I'm guessing because of the China stamp from 3 years ago.)  His supervisor said, "Canadians going home?  Let them through."    

Easiest crossing ever.    More traffic once we hit the States, though all the malls along I-35 inTexas had very few cars in the parking lots.  Lots of restaurants offering delivery and take away.  Masks and glove use about the same as we saw in northern Mexico.  

We hope to be in Canada late Thursday afternoon.  

• Thanks 1