Chapala.com Webboard

List of Restaurants that deliver

What does that have to do with restaurants that deliver?

Got ribs send over from Adelitas tonight.  YUM!  Sat out on the back terraza and enjoyed the heck out of them.  Arrived hot and fresh.  We rather hope many of the restaurants will keep this up after this business passes.

Knowing that I'll have nothing to do with Faceplant, a kind friend sent me the local foodie list of restaurants that deliver.  Quite a variety.  My head scratcher is this:

What's the basic "safety" difference between having food to go (take out or delivery) from one of those places or going there, sitting down and being served the meal with the cleanup process someone else's job?  These restaurants all claim to be taking precautions to be extra clean.

Gringal   commented:  ""What's the basic "safety" difference between having food to go (take out or delivery) from one of those places or going there, sitting down and being served the meal with the cleanup process someone else's job?  These restaurants all claim to be taking precautions to be extra clean. "

My sentiments exactly.  How do you know if the staff in the kitchen are wearing masks, gloves or taking any kind of measures to self distance?  How do  you know the person that picks up your food to deliver it is doing anything to protect themselves?  How do you know how many people have touched the box your food comes in?  Is anyone that isn't wearing gloves washing their hands with soap regularly?   Too many unanswered questions in my opinion to make "delivered" food safe or going to a restaurant safe.  Like Gringal said also, what's the difference between going there and having it delivered?   Only difference that I can see, is you don't have to leave home to possibly be exposed to the virus, you can possibly be exposed in the comfort of your own home!

When you have food delivered to your home, do you touch the box, do you touch any napkins or condiments that are delivered with the food?  If yes, are you wearing gloves?   Most of us here are over 60, at risk, so why take chances?   I understand that some people don't cook, but, there are plenty of items in the store that you can buy that do not require cooking.  Y

I see that johanson has concerns about this also.

I do know what's going on in my kitchen, and about the hands touching my food.  The suggestions about having the delivery person leave the stuff outside, etc., seems a tad pointless.  Somewhere along the process of getting food into one's belly are a few inevitabl risks, which include buying it...somehow.  I'm all in favor of lots of hand washing and keeping fingers away from the face, but it's amazing to discover how hard it is to consistently remember!  Maybe I should be hoarding hand lotion.😉

Whether shopping for food; eating out; getting delivery; doing take-out....they all have similar risk levels (all low).  

Grocery stores.....do you realize how many people handle the produce and shelf products, from delivery onto truck, off of truck, store stocking personnel....then the customers, the cashiers and the baggers.  Maybe the cashier and bagger are wearing masks, but are the others?  Stocking may take place when the stores are closed....think they're all wearing masks then?  Wearing gloves is silly unless they change them between every single customer.  Many shoppers seem to need to handle every product they see, whether they buy it or not.  People read ingredients on a box, put it back then pick up the next brand....and many of the oldsters here have to put the item very close to their face to read the fine print.  Other customers let their kids wander the store to do the same.  I'd guess the height of the fruit/veg counters are at sneeze level for both adults and kids.  And the shopping carts or baskets....you can try to wipe down the surfaces, but you likely missed a few spots.

Everyone needs to eat, so pick your poison about how you want to get your food.  But don't judge others.  

Good article here on various means of getting one's food. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/03/food-safety-and-coronavirus-a-comprehensive-guide.html

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Whether shopping for food; eating out; getting delivery; doing take-out....they all have similar risk levels (all low).  

Grocery stores.....do you realize how many people handle the produce and shelf products, from delivery onto truck, off of truck, store stocking personnel....then the customers, the cashiers and the baggers.  Maybe the cashier and bagger are wearing masks, but are the others?  Stocking may take place when the stores are closed....think they're all wearing masks then?  Wearing gloves is silly unless they change them between every single customer.  Many shoppers seem to need to handle every product they see, whether they buy it or not.  People read ingredients on a box, put it back then pick up the next brand....and many of the oldsters here have to put the item very close to their face to read the fine print.  Other customers let their kids wander the store to do the same.  I'd guess the height of the fruit/veg counters are at sneeze level for both adults and kids.  And the shopping carts or baskets....you can try to wipe down the surfaces, but you likely missed a few spots.

Everyone needs to eat, so pick your poison about how you want to get your food.  But don't judge others.  

Good article here on various means of getting one's food. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/03/food-safety-and-coronavirus-a-comprehensive-guide.html

Oh how reality sucks sometimes but not for me. Excellent post!