Chapala.com Webboard

US Notary

You could do a search for "US Notary".  Once a notary leaves their jurisdiction they are no longer a valid notary. The US consulate is the only legal US notaries available in MX. 
Due to the current crisis you may want to call your US agent and determine if a MX notarized document will suffice or perhaps one of the on-line notaries.

Yvonne Jensen Lauterback is a US notary who I've successfully had notarize many documents, and a lot of my friends have too.  Her home number is 76-52603.  I was a Michigan notary for about 30 years and authorized to notarize anywhere - I just had to add some language about where I was commissioned, and then add "acting in ________County, State of _______________."

2 hours ago, Joanie said:

Yvonne Jensen Lauterback is a US notary who I've successfully had notarize many documents, and a lot of my friends have too.  Her home number is 76-52603.  I was a Michigan notary for about 30 years and authorized to notarize anywhere - I just had to add some language about where I was commissioned, and then add "acting in ________County, State of _______________."

I called her a while ago and she said she not doing it anymore. We always use the consulate.

There is no need to call for approval. You may use a Mexican Notario and it will be accepted under international reciprocity agreements. We have done that in the same circumstances, and all was just fine.

If you ask, the folks up north will often say "no" out of ignorance. If you just do it, they may then ask their lawyer, who will give them the OK.

• Thanks 1

I just checked on the internet.  Apparently, Michigan has changed its notary laws since I left there 25 years ago.  A Michigan notary can only notarize documents within the State.  Some States do allow out-of-state notarizations, but not Michigan.  Geez, I was all over the country notarizing documents.

On 3/21/2020 at 1:11 PM, RVGRINGO said:

There is no need to call for approval. You may use a Mexican Notario and it will be accepted under international reciprocity agreements. We have done that in the same circumstances, and all was just fine.

If you ask, the folks up north will often say "no" out of ignorance. If you just do it, they may then ask their lawyer, who will give them the OK.

County Government in Riverside California told us they don't care about international law and will not take a Mexican Notary stamp. The law is worthless I am afraid. Maybe banks  know more about the law.  We ended up going to the consulate.