Chapala.com Webboard

U.S. MEDICAL SYSTEM BROKE DOWN

Just to let all my bueno amigos at lakeside know, the doctors and hospitals in the States are not operating as normal. My wife's doctor just cancelled an appointment that was set up last week. They are afraid to see patients now and are shutting down. Sorry but (chickensit) I told them my wife is in bad shape and needs to see the doctor. Too bad. Cancelled.

The night before last, my wife was weak and a little confused. I took her to the emergency room put her in a wheel chair and pushed her to reception and told them I would be right back, I had to park the car. When I came back they were pushing her into a triage area set of for coronavirus, locked the door and surrounded me with security and told me I had to leave the hospital and they would call me to pick her up if she wasn't admitted. They called in the middle of the night to pick her up saying nothing about her stroke like symptoms.

You guys have to take care of yourself down there Don't think you can come back to the US for care. The system is pretty much broke down here now.

Stay healthy.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

In keeping with around here instead of everywhere else. On top of all my other medical problems, for the past 6 1/2 weeks I have had a situation where i was 95% housebound and in really bad shape so finally had to call the Cruz Roja Ambulance to get me to the SAT Hospital at 11pm where my doctor consulted by phone with the emerg doc there to take care of bus. Stayed overnight and got treatment there and then seen by one of my docs who confirmed me stabilized enough to go home. In essence was well looked after thank you very much.

Read up on what is happening in Italy.  Unfortunately you are describing what happens when panic throws common sense out the window.  Hope very much your wife will be OK.  And yes I think we are still better off here, providing you have the money to pay for your care, as Happy's post confirms.

3 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Read up on what is happening in Italy.  Unfortunately you are describing what happens when panic throws common sense out the window.  Hope very much your wife will be OK.  And yes I think we are still better off here, providing you have the money to pay for your care, as Happy's post confirms.

Hospital bill including everything as they always do, down to the last kleenex, $4500MP. Haven't got my doc's bill yet. Cruz Roja, $400MP so paid $500 to them. We always donate extra when using them for anything.

It  is nearly impossible to get across to many people in our community that the system is very quickly overwhelmed once this virus takes hold. Happyjillin was fortunate that his crisis happened sooner rather than later because I don't believe for a minute that we will dodge the bullet here. There will come a day in the not too distant future when care here will be triaged, too.

Overheard at a local beauty shop today by a friend- "The stations are 10-12’ apart and they are never crowded...
Here are some of the conversations I heard.
1. “Yes, I’m excited to be going to Mazatlan next week. There are 15 going. I’m a bit worried about a few of them, but IM GOING.”.
2a. It’s my birthday next month. We are having a big party!
2b. We booked a trip, but of all places it’s to Europe. It hasn’t cancelled, so there is still hope.”.
Me:😡

The group we were going with to Michoacan is STILL GOING😡

There are careless, inconsiderate, me me me individuals walking among us every day. I, for one, am tired of people who know better being unwilling to do better!

3 hours ago, crynoutloud said:

SNIP.............

You guys have to take care of yourself down there Don't think you can come back to the US for care. The system is pretty much broke down here now.

Stay healthy.

I live in the US (Colorado).  Your carte blanc statement that 'the system is pretty much broke(n) down' is far too exaggerated. Maybe in your area. Maybe for the problem you had.... my condolences.... it did not work. As I am older I am keeping my 'ears to the ground' with respect to healthcare here and I am hearing no dire stories of unavailability as you portrayed.