Chapala.com Webboard

Pancho's Deli/Market food list.

Pancho's market says on their Facebook page that they will deliver groceries to your home.  Has anyone found or would like to share a basic list of items that Pancho's offers?  It doesn't have to be comprehensive.  Just basic canned goods, dairy, pastas, rice etc.....

Thanks

Panchos has a variety of canned goods, mostly imported; a variety of imported pastas and cereal products; I haven't looked for rice; moderate selection of dairy products, some Lala and Lyncott plus imported; moderate selection of nice baked goods; decent selection of mostly imported deli meats and cheeses; lots of cleaning products; some pet products mostly from Costco. They also have a deli and some pre-made foods.

• Like 1

As pointed out by people who actually shop there, the store is mostly imported goods. I would not consider it a "grocery store" at all. Sure, like I said, they have some basic goods. For example, I would consider Mexican Campbell soups to be "basic". Does he have any? No. Does SuperLake? Yes. Does he have Mexican branded sliced bread? No. He has pricey loaves. But Soriana does. And they deliver. And SL delivers. And so does El Torito, which can be considered a basic goods grocery store. So, for those who don't know, and that would only apply to newbies, my point was important.

But you know, feel free to take another swipe, because that's what you do best.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

8 minutes ago, chapalence said:

Ask the people at El Granero next to Gossips for items like that.

It's harina de centeno.

FYI, El Granero has changed their store operation.  You can no longer go into the store; they have set up a counter at the front and ask you to form a line leaving 1.5 meters between customers.  It worked fine, maybe even better than those narrow aisles.  Though I missed browsing.  

• Like 1

Pancho's does have some basic food products but way over priced.  You are better off buying anywhere else.  I do buy a few hard to find items at Pancho's but I expect to pay gringo prices.  My wife likes the tortillas they make and their fresh sweet corn is good.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 4:57 PM, ComputerGuy said:

As pointed out by people who actually shop there, the store is mostly imported goods. I would not consider it a "grocery store" at all. Sure, like I said, they have some basic goods. For example, I would consider Mexican Campbell soups to be "basic". Does he have any? No. Does SuperLake? Yes. Does he have Mexican branded sliced bread? No. He has pricey loaves. But Soriana does. And they deliver. And SL delivers. And so does El Torito, which can be considered a basic goods grocery store. So, for those who don't know, and that would only apply to newbies, my point was important.

But you know, feel free to take another swipe, because that's what you do best.

Just an FYI...Super Lake no longer carries Mexican Campbell's soups, just imported ones.  Truth is, other than a few like elote, crema de poblano and crema de champiñones, even Walmart and Soriana don't carry much Campbell's soups anymore.  Even pollo con arroz can be scarce.   I wonder why that is.  

They did some pointless reorganization a while ago, and the Mexican soups disappeared for awhile, but returned on the backside of the imported soups aisle. Intentional or not? Were they under the impression that expats only buy imported soup, then realized that was not the case? Some appear to prefer packaged dry soups... WalMart always has lots of those. Since I don't shop at WalMart in Guadalajara, I couldn't say if it's the same there.

Superlake has also tucked away reasonably priced breakfast cereals. The 200p imports are where they always were. Lower priced Mexican brands are at the end of the aisle and where the cheaper cookies used to be in the corner.

When I shopped at Walmart, on Wednesday, there was not a single package of Swiss Knorr soup or a single can of any kind of soup. IF someone has been in there since Wednesday, could they please comment on whether that is still the case.

Support your local, small corner stores for basic purchases, for XXXX  sake! The small stores have everything you need.

ficklepie, this is Mod 5.  You are not allowed to write dirty 4 letter words starting with FU on this forum,. Doing so means I have to give you your first warning.

Please, no more swearing   MOD 5

• 2 years later...
19 hours ago, artsnob said:

Bread flour at Walmart, they have four different flavors, wheat , rye etc.

There is a difference between the flours sold at Walmart for use in making breads and the bread flour we are accustomed to NOB. I wouldn't waste my time making bread from the flours sold at Walmart, but they are perfectly fine for cakes, cookies, and other things...just not bread.

"The main difference between bread flour and all-purpose flour is a matter of protein. Bread flour, which comes in white and whole wheat varieties, has a higher protein content than all-purpose, usually 11-13%. It's called “bread flour” because most bread requires higher amounts of protein to produce lots of gluten."