Chapala.com Webboard

Coronavirus in our area

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Direct quotes:

During a campaign rally in South Carolina on Feb. 28, Mr. Trump accused Democrats and the news media of hysteria and unfairly criticizing his administration by engaging in what he said was a political “hoax.”

On Jan. 22, asked by a CNBC reporter whether there were “worries about a pandemic,” the president replied: “No, not at all. We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.”

On Feb. 26, at a White House news conference, commenting on the country’s first reported cases: “We’re going to be pretty soon at only five people. And we could be at just one or two people over the next short period of time. So we’ve had very good luck.”

On Feb. 27, at a White House meeting: “It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear.”

On March 7, standing next to President Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil at Mar-a-Lago, his club in Palm Beach, Fla., when asked if he was concerned that the virus was spreading closer to Washington: “No, I’m not concerned at all. No, I’m not. No, we’ve done a great job.” (At least three members of the Brazilian delegation and one Trump donor at Mar-a-Lago that weekend later tested positive for the virus.)

On March 16, in the White House briefing room, warning that the outbreak would “wash” away this summer: “So it could be right in that period of time where it, I say, wash — it washes through. Other people don’t like that term. But where it washes through.”

On Tuesday he took to the White House lectern and made a remarkable assertion: He knew it was a pandemic all along.

“This is a pandemic,” Mr. Trump told reporters. “I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic.”

The guy is a massive crock. And anyone supporting him is stewing in his feces.

The good news he is an expert with dealing with bankruptcy and will be able to navigated "US" out of this mess and leave the Federal Gov (You and Me) holding the debit..not "Me" but your and our kids..see no problema

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

This was sent out by the Mexican Government yesterday.  Sent to me from my Mexican friends in Guadalajara.  It is very informative.  I have translated from Spanish to English.

They are reminded NOT to take Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil and aspirin for flu or fever symptoms.  In Italy and France they have discovered that people who have died from Covid-19 have taken ibuprofen and causes the virus to be potentiated 5 or more times.  Please avoid self-medication, disclose this and take care of us.
 Gentlemen, anyone who has symptoms take only and exclusively
 * PARACETAMOL * (except, of course, medical prescription)
 and drink plenty of water and very often (if possible sips every 15 minutes)
 We also have natural antivirals such as Garlic, Ginger, Propolis, and almost all Aromatic plants (Mint, Melissa (Torongil), Rosemary ...) Cinnamon, Curcuma, Fruits with Vitamin C ... in Infusion preferably ...

* DO NOT * take the following medications * if we have Symptoms *:

In general, none
 * ANTI-INFLAMMATORY *
 Nor any * ANALGESIC * containing Tramadol ...
 And I'll say ... What are they?
 Here is a list if you have questions ...

1) Ibuprofen (includes Espidifen, Neobrufen, Algiasdin, Saetil, (Dalsy, Algidrin and Junifen in children))

2) Naproxen (includes Antalgin, Naprosin, Lundiran, Momen)

3) Dexketoprofen (includes Enantyum, Adolquir, Ketesse, Quiralam, and Zaldiar)

In general, the * ANTI-INFLAMMATORIES * will produce respiratory problems and added to those of the Coronavirus, a very serious picture can be produced ...

Neither * Opiate Analgesics * as:
 1) Tramadol (includes Adolonta, Capdol, Captor, Clanderon, Dolpar, Enaplus, Geotradol, Paxiflas, Pazital, Tioner, Tracimol, Tradonal, Zaldiar and Zitram)

* PLEASE ROLL !! *
 * BE SOLIDARITY !! *
 * THIS INFORMATION COULD HELP SAVE LIVES !! *
 * INCLUDING YOURS, THAT OF SOME FAMILY MEMBER ANY NEIGHBOR OR FRIEND !! *
 * SHARE IT, Atte ML *

3 hours ago, spacedebris said:

Here is a report from the Imperial College in full and summarized below. 

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

The Imperial College team plugged infection and death rates from China/Korea/Italy into epidemic modeling software and ran a simulation: what happens if the US does absolutely nothing -- if we treat COVID-19 like the flu, go about our business, and let the virus take its course? 

Here's what would happen: 80% of Americans would get the disease. 0.9% of them would die. Between 4 and 8 percent of all Americans over the age of 70 would die. 2.2 million Americans would die from the virus itself. 

It gets worse. People with severe COVID-19 need to be put on ventilators. 50% of those on ventilators still die, but the other 50% live. But in an unmitigated epidemic, the need for ventilators would be 30 times the number available in the US. Nearly 100% of these patients die. 

So the actual death toll from the virus would be closer to 4 million Americans -- in a span of 3 months. 8-15% of all Americans over 70 would die. 

How many is 4 million people? It's more Americans than have died all at once from anything, ever. It's the population of Los Angeles. It's 4 times the number of Americans who died in the Civil War...on both sides combined. It's two-thirds as many people as died in the Holocaust. 

Americans make up 4.4% of the world's population. If we extrapolate these numbers to the rest of the world (warning: MOE is high here), this gives us 90 million deaths globally from COVID-19, in 3-6 months. 15 Holocausts. 1.5 times as many people as died in all of World War II. 

Now, of course countries won't stand by and do nothing. So the Imperial College team ran the numbers again, this time assuming a "mitigation" strategy: all symptomatic cases in the US in isolation. Families of those cases quarantined. All Americans over 70 social distancing. 

This mitigation strategy is what you've seen a lot of people talking about when they say we should "flatten the curve": try to slow the spread of the disease to the people most likely to die from it, to avoid overwhelming hospitals. 

And it does flatten the curve -- but not nearly enough. The death rate from the disease is cut in half, but it still kills 1.1 million Americans all by itself. The peak need for ventilators falls by two-thirds, but it still exceeds the number of ventilators in the US by 8 times. 

That leaves the actual death toll in the US at right around 2 million deaths. The population of Houston. Two Civil Wars. One-third of the Holocaust. Globally, 45 million people die: 7.5 Holocausts, 3/4 of World War II. That's what happens if we rely on mitigation & common sense. 

Finally, the Imperial College team ran the numbers again, assuming a "suppression" strategy: isolate symptomatic cases, quarantine their family members, social distancing for the whole population, all public gatherings/most workplaces shut down, schools and universities close. 

Suppression works! The death rate in the US peaks 3 weeks from now at a few thousand deaths, then goes down. We hit but don't exceed the number of available ventilators. The nightmarish death tolls from the rest of the study disappear. 

But here's the catch: if we EVER relax suppression before a vaccine is administered to the entire population, COVID-19 comes right back and kills millions of Americans in a few months, the same as before. 

After the 1st suppression period ends in July, we could probably lift restrictions for a month, followed by 2 more months of suppression, in a repeating pattern without triggering an outbreak or overwhelming the ventilator supply. Staggering breaks by city could do a bit better. 

But we simply cannot EVER allow the virus to spread throughout the entire population in the way other viruses do, because it is just too deadly. If lots of people we know end up getting COVID-19, it means millions of Americans are dying. It simply can't be allowed to happen. 

How quickly will a vaccine be here? Last week three separate research teams announced they had developed vaccines. Yesterday, one of them (with FDA approval) injected its vaccine into a live person, without waiting for animal testing. That's an extreme measure, but necessary. 

Now, though, they have to monitor the test subject for 14 months to make sure the vaccine is safe. This part can't be rushed: if you're going to inoculate all humans, you have to make absolutely sure the vaccine itself won't kill them. It probably won't, but you have to be sure. 

Assuming the vaccine is safe and effective, it will still take several months to produce enough to inoculate the global population. For this reason, the Imperial College team estimated it will be about 18 months until the vaccine is available. 

During those 18 months, things are going to be very difficult and very scary. Our economy and society will be disrupted in profound ways. And if suppression actually works, it will feel like we're doing all this for nothing, because infection and death rates will remain low. 

It's easy to get people to come together in common sacrifice in the middle of a war. It's very hard to get them to do so in a pandemic that looks invisible precisely because suppression methods are working. But that's exactly what we're going to have to do. /end 

This is an interesting article. I would point out that the USA is one of the very best prepared countries for this pandemic in the world. Death tolls are inevitable but the US will be one of the lowest per capita. The USA has 20+ ICU beds per 100K and 17.7 mechanical ventilators per 100K and was quicker to close som travel from high risk locations than others. The ICU ratio and Ventilator ratio is near the best in the world.  I wonder what happened to the equipment like ventilators from the 248 hospitals closed by Affordable Care Act?  The USA also has 8900 ventilators in ready reserve.

• Like 1

Social distancing (suppression) works.  Most of the rest is speculation.

Keep reminding yourselves pandemics have occurred throughout history and many of them infected and killed far larger percentages of the population than those in more modern times.  We'll get through this.  Let's keep the focus on staying healthy and keeping our local community afloat. 

Remember, there is no social safety net here.  For a lot of the local work force we are it.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, geeser said:

The USA has 20+ ICU beds per 100K and 17.7 mechanical ventilators per 100K

Are you serious? You think this is adequate? You must be math challenged. This virus so far has a mortality rate of about 3.5%. 100,000 x 3.5% = 3500. So what are they going to do with the other 3480 people who need ICU beds?

Okay, not 100% of the population is going to contract coronavirus. Lets say only 25% do. Most will have only mild symptoms, but there will still be a 3.5% mortality rate. So that leaves 875 people who are dying or going to die if they don't get medical help. How many people can you fit into 20 ICU beds?

11 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Are you serious? You think this is adequate? You must be math challenged. This virus so far has a mortality rate of about 3.5%. 100,000 x 3.5% = 3500. So what are they going to do with the other 3480 people who need ICU beds?

Okay, not 100% of the population is going to contract coronavirus. Lets say only 25% do. Most will have only mild symptoms, but there will still be a 3.5% mortality rate. So that leaves 875 people who are dying or going to die if they don't get medical help. How many people can you fit into 20 ICU beds?

Hell yes I am serious!  We are one of the best prepared countries for a pandemic. You must be reading comprehension challenged. NO WHERE did I say it was adequate, it is not, but we do have one of the best ventilator and ICU bed ratios in the world. No country has enough. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Well that is pretty darned patriotic of you. Now answer this more difficult question. How many Americans will be forced into medical bankruptcy paying for  2 or weeks of ICU care, especially with no pay checks coming in? How is that fair in a society where the most likely to contract the virus, service workers, are also the poorest? I think you will find after this is all over, there will be a virus deaths, but also a spike in suicides, disproportional to rest of the world.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15942342

I will help you along with this one $11,000 to $15,000 per day, depending on whether they using a mechanical ventilator. Two days, more than many people net over one year in the U.S.A.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

this is not a competition about who is the best in the world.  I think that we have had enough of that " we are the best retoric " to last us for 3 centuries.

And let us see in about 6 months.  The proof will be in the .... I can forecast that a lot of people will be a lot more quiet then ( deja vu )

Also, try to understand that this time, we are ALL in this together.

This is also the section " Chapala, Ajijic, Guadalajara ".  One might forget, reading A LOT OF the posts. ....solamente diciendo....

Rony

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Rony said:

this is not a competition about who is the best in the world.  I think that we have had enough of that " we are the best retoric " to last us for 3 centuries.

And let us see in about 6 months.  The proof will be in the .... I can forecast that a lot of people will be a lot more quiet then ( deja vu )

Also, try to understand that this time, we are ALL in this together.

This is also the section " Chapala, Ajijic, Guadalajara ".  One might forget, reading A LOT OF the posts. ....solamente diciendo....

Rony

I am out of "likes" for today....I owe you one!

3 hours ago, Guiness said:

Who cares about stupid ol Donald T. Rump with such bigger things to worry about. Stop your squabbling, grow up and take your US politics somewhere else. Quite frankly Charlotte, we don't give a dam.... Enough already

You, my fine feathered friend, who seems to be only interested in passing judgment, completely missed the point. I was responding to a load of BS about what the Chief Moron said/did not say. Squabbling? No, in fact. Oh, BTW, I'm Canadian. This had nothing to do with politics, get it? It had everything to do with fending off BS.

You, my fine feathered friend, who seems to be only interested in passing judgment, completely missed the point. I was responding to a load of BS about what the Chief Moron said/did not say. Squabbling? No, in fact. Oh, BTW, I'm Canadian. This had nothing to do with politics, get it? It had everything to do with fending off BS.

And, of course, jealousy never would enter into your comments, right? :D

• Sad 6

We all know and we all heard and we all read the facts from ALL of the sources. They are not in dispute for the majority of people on this forum.

I was finally able to get out to get some more groceries since I wrecked my leg last Wednesday. Wow. Not a single can or envelope of soup in Wally's. Guess I'm making my own.

And, thanks, but I don't need recipes. ;)

This is not the thread to be posting your political gripes. I don't care if you are American, Canadian or other.Go start a new thread , stop hijacking threads with your political BS. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, cricket said:

This was sent out by the Mexican Government yesterday.  Sent to me from my Mexican friends in Guadalajara.  It is very informative.  I have translated from Spanish to English.

They are reminded NOT to take Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil and aspirin for flu or fever symptoms.  In Italy and France they have discovered that people who have died from Covid-19 have taken ibuprofen and causes the virus to be potentiated 5 or more times.  Please avoid self-medication, disclose this and take care of us.
 Gentlemen, anyone who has symptoms take only and exclusively
 * PARACETAMOL * (except, of course, medical prescription)
 and drink plenty of water and very often (if possible sips every 15 minutes)
 We also have natural antivirals such as Garlic, Ginger, Propolis, and almost all Aromatic plants (Mint, Melissa (Torongil), Rosemary ...) Cinnamon, Curcuma, Fruits with Vitamin C ... in Infusion preferably ...

* DO NOT * take the following medications * if we have Symptoms *:

In general, none
 * ANTI-INFLAMMATORY *
 Nor any * ANALGESIC * containing Tramadol ...
 And I'll say ... What are they?
 Here is a list if you have questions ...

1) Ibuprofen (includes Espidifen, Neobrufen, Algiasdin, Saetil, (Dalsy, Algidrin and Junifen in children))

2) Naproxen (includes Antalgin, Naprosin, Lundiran, Momen)

3) Dexketoprofen (includes Enantyum, Adolquir, Ketesse, Quiralam, and Zaldiar)

In general, the * ANTI-INFLAMMATORIES * will produce respiratory problems and added to those of the Coronavirus, a very serious picture can be produced ...

Neither * Opiate Analgesics * as:
 1) Tramadol (includes Adolonta, Capdol, Captor, Clanderon, Dolpar, Enaplus, Geotradol, Paxiflas, Pazital, Tioner, Tracimol, Tradonal, Zaldiar and Zitram)

* PLEASE ROLL !! *
 * BE SOLIDARITY !! *
 * THIS INFORMATION COULD HELP SAVE LIVES !! *
 * INCLUDING YOURS, THAT OF SOME FAMILY MEMBER ANY NEIGHBOR OR FRIEND !! *
 * SHARE IT, Atte ML *

Thank you for your heartfelt info. Appreciated

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, luvsdawgs said:

Title of this thread is Coronavirus in our area, so why is everyone discussing the USA? What has what the President said or done have anything to do with Lakeside, Jalisco or Mexico? It has no impact on us, focus on your home and not on another country.

You think that the young people getting sick and the decisions about young people acting as carriers ONLY applies to the U.S. and not Lakeside?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luvsdawgs said:

It has no impact on us, focus on your home and not on another country.

It's a pandemic, do you not understand what that means? It all has an impact on us. Just wait until all the millenial spring breakers start descending on Mexico from the US.