Chapala.com Webboard

Coronavirus in our area

57 minutes ago, gimpychimp said:

No, Mexico shows 82 cases.

Not on the website that was given. Are you using a different one?

3 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Capture.PNG

No clue why it says 13 when I go to the site. Thanks.

20 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Of course we will continue to pay her.  That is not the question.  The question is whether if we are going to really self isolate as seems to be the main remedy at this point does it make sense to have someone coming into your home who is not doing so and is surrounded by family, going to tianquis, etc.?

For some of us that is the question.  My cash flow has dropped by 50% and continues to decline.  Many people don’t  have a guaranteed monthly income.  Those of us in the travel industry have been feeling the financial pinch for close to a month now.  Most of my colleagues are on 2 weeks unpaid vacation, non essential staff are being laid off and we’ve been told that salaries will be cut 15-30%.  While in some countries governments and financial institutions are giving incentives and payment grace periods that’s not happening here.  Many locals will lose their source of income.  I for one will not be able to carry a housekeeper or gardener for long should this financial situation continue as it has. Let’s hope things can get back to “normal” quickly for the benefit of all of us.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dostortas said:

A notice has been sent out for the meeting tomorrow Reunion de Emergencia to discuss Covid 19 measures for all establishments related to the production and sale of food.  The meeting is at Auditorio de la Antigua in Chapala at 1pm March 17.  

This chart was posted at the Chapala Gobierno FB page yesterday, regarding restaurants and coronavirus.  It sets some guidelines for seating so maybe they will be allowed to remain open???

gobierno restaurants.jpg

21 minutes ago, Frijoles said:

Mine says 13 too.

Under the GLOBAL BOX on Angus' link, Mexico shows 82 but under LATIN AMERICA BOX, Mexico shows 13. As if the current situation wasn't confusing enough.

Just read an article in the CBC advising Canadians outside of Canada with travel insurance that their coverage may be restricted.  Be advised that most coverage will end within 10 days of Ottawa issuing an advisory against non essential travel.  You can read the entire article on CBC News online.  Safe travels to everyone.  

31 minutes ago, Dostortas said:

Just read an article in the CBC advising Canadians outside of Canada with travel insurance that their coverage may be restricted.  Be advised that most coverage will end within 10 days of Ottawa issuing an advisory against non essential travel.  You can read the entire article on CBC News online.  Safe travels to everyone.  

Canadian friends of mine were advised just yesterday that their travel health insurance has been cancelled. They are leaving tomorrow to drive back to Canada. 

26 minutes ago, DeborahM said:

Canadian friends of mine were advised just yesterday that their travel health insurance has been cancelled. They are leaving tomorrow to drive back to Canada. 

Our friends as well, they flew home from PV yesterday.  On a lighter note, with all the snowbirds leaving, it will give us some traffic relief at least. 

In response to Maincoons question about our domestic staff.... I have purchased masks and gloves for our maid to wear while here. Having her add bleach to mop water and prepared a mixture of bleach and water in spray bottle for hard surface cleanings. Both maid and gardener have been told not to come if anyone in their family is sick. And yes, we will pay them for as long as we can. Best we all can do is stay home, and hope this storm which is on its way doesn't cause extreme hardships for our expat population or our Mexican friends.

Stay well everyone....

• Like 2

Thanks for the response we are doing the same.  We are most concerned with the economic fallout of this situation since there is no safety net here and will definitely maintain the income of our helpers.  We also talked with the other employer of our maid and got a commitment from them to do the same.  For the duration we will share picking up and returning home for our maid so she is not on crowded local buses.

For us, this is an inconvenience and a (I believe) manageable health issue.  For them not only are they more exposed to the illness but it is economically hazardous as well.  Let's do our part to minimize both for them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ferret said:

And here's another GOP member who's leading.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ohio-gov-mike-dewines-coronavirus-response-has-become-a-national-guide-to-the-crisis/ar-BB11hhQe

Quite frankly, I don't care who the President of the U.S. is or what his party affiliation is BUT he better be damn well prepared to surround himself with the best people who know how to do their jobs and how to allocate responsibility to those people.

And, I think that goes double for the city and state officials in the US, as they are the primary line of defense against this virus. They are charged with the health care of their citizens ! Because the US is a Republic, the Federal Government is Not their "daddy" (although there is one party there that wants that to happen). The Feds are just a support group for the States, even tho they seem to be going well above anything they have ever done before to support the States. Remember, all states and local communities there are Not equally ready, thus you are seeing such a different response and results. Easy to blame the Feds when these States fail their responsibility to their citizens, no? Just shows how many don't understand the concept of Republic and its Constitution. Just shows how many don't understand the role of the Feds NOB.

• Sad 3

50 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Thanks for the response we are doing the same.  We are most concerned with the economic fallout of this situation since there is no safety net here and will definitely maintain the income of our helpers.  We also talked with the other employer of our maid and got a commitment from them to do the same.  For the duration we will share picking up and returning home for our maid so she is not on crowded local buses.

For us, this is an inconvenience and a (I believe) manageable health issue.  For them not only are they more exposed to the illness but it is economically hazardous as well.  Let's do our part to minimize both for them.

Great idea about not having them take the crowed bus...thanks for that tip.

12 minutes ago, HookEmHorns said:

And, I think that goes double for the city and state officials in the US, as they are the primary line of defense against this virus. They are charged with the health care of their citizens ! Because the US is a Republic, the Federal Government is Not their "daddy" (although there is one party there that wants that to happen). The Feds are just a support group for the States, even tho they seem to be going well above anything they have ever done before to support the States. Remember, all states and local communities there are Not equally ready, thus you are seeing such a different response and results. Easy to blame the Feds when these States fail their responsibility to their citizens, no? Just shows how many don't understand the concept of Republic and its Constitution. Just shows how many don't understand the role of the Feds NOB.

You mean the Fed is not the "daddy" when it allocate billions of bucks to bail out various sectors of business?  LOL.  It appears that both parties approve when push comes to shove...like right now.  What's happening is that there is just too much politicizing and not enough simple willingness of all to give the needed help in this disaster.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, HookEmHorns said:

Snip....

Just shows how many don't understand the concept of Republic and its Constitution. Just shows how many don't understand the role of the Feds NOB.

Well your 'understanding' does not track with my 'reality' but that's probably understandable.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, gringal said:

You mean the Fed is not the "daddy" when it allocate billions of bucks to bail out various sectors of business?  LOL.  It appears that both parties approve when push comes to shove...like right now.  What's happening is that there is just too much politicizing and not enough simple willingness of all to give the needed help in this disaster.

Yep, as I said , many don't understand. Another educated beyond her intelligence. :(

40 minutes ago, HookEmHorns said:

Can we please back off the ugly US politics...not all of us are Americans and it gets very tiring hearing how much you all hate each other. Take a break please..

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Guiness said:

Can we please back off the ugly US politics...not all of us are Americans and it gets very tiring hearing how much you all hate each other. Take a break please..

In Mexico, when it comes to health care, the Federal Government is basically the "daddy " for all Mexicans, as health care is under Federal control, even though states seem to administer it somewhat. So, a slow response by the Feds here is going to really be problematic for this country, as local/state governments have almost no control over health care for their citizens, as NOB. How sad for the older citizens here, no?