Chapala.com Webboard

Coronavirus in our area

I don't understand.....people living here have friends and family come down to visit then invite all their friends over to meet them.???  Are they thing to expose us all to a possible virus.  Self quarantine applies to those flying into Mexico also

• Like 1

I received this yesterday.  I cannot verify anything. I was probably one in a long chain.

Many of you know me.  I am the president of the board of directors and the director of Escuela de Inglés de San Miguel de Allende, A.C.  We are a group of volunteer teachers who provide low cost english classes to approximately 225 students each year.  We are approximately 40 teachers who, for the most part, are retired and of a certain age.

February 27th, four of my friends arrived in Mexico city from Canada, stayed there for a few days, went to the butterfly preserve for two days and then came here to my house here in San Miguel. The flight was direct Toronto to Mexico city. TWO of the four friends returned to Canada last week.  They travelled by privately hired car on each leg of the journey within Mexico.  Yesterday was two weeks since their arrival.

First one friend became ill, now all five of us are ill.  We have the symptoms of COVID19 as per information on WHO and CDC websites as well as many others.

First we spent hours calling the number from the mexican secretary of health to request testing.  The number is NOT operational.  Either there is a recording in spanish saying the person you are trying to contact is not available or it rings five times then disconnects.

Our next step was to call an english speaking well known doctor here in town.  I am not naming him as I have no doubt that he would sue me for slander.  Remember that truth is not a defence for slander in Mexico.  They only need to prove you did them harm.  Don’t ask me to say his name.  I will not.  Use your imagination.

He sent his young associate to my house.  He came on an atv.  NO mask, NO gloves.  He INSISTED on shaking our hands and laughed at us when we tried to refuse.  He then lectured us that coronavirus is a hoax and went into great detail about the price of masks and hand sanitizer.  He told us the hoax was for money.  Yes, our jaws dropped as far as they could go.

He examined the friend who had been sick now for the third day.  He asked her Symptoms.  Headache, fever, short of breath, dry cough, some yellow phlegm, started with a sore throat.  He took her temperature by putting the thermometer under her armpit (notoriously inaccurate).  He listened to her chest.  He took a swab for normal flu.  

At the end he said we did not have coronavirus, laughing as he did so.  He quoted the most severe case symptoms of coronavirus as his proof all the while referencing his phone for a list of symptoms.  He said we needed to have a high fever and our friend was low grade fever but he was forgetting that she had been sick for now three days and the fever usually lasts 8 hours.  She had also told him that she had taken advil.

He said she needed to be short of breath.  We reminded him that our friend was indeed short of breath.  No, it has to be worse.

He gave us one package of Gremiltal which is Tamiflu in the US.  He said he would return at 2pm with more.  We prepaid.  He charged 2000 pesos to examine our one friend.  Medicine was extra.

He informed us that there are no testing kits in San Miguel. The Secretaria de Salud in Mexico city has them and you cannot get them.  The original doctor was on the phone with me telling me he agreed with his young associate.  That he had called the head of the lab at Mac hospital who confirmed there were no testing kits in San Miguel.  He also lectured me and said something to the effect that “someone called Be Well” has been passing bad information on the civil list.

The doctor present in my house washed his hands in the bathroom.  He kept repeating that he used hand sanitizer.  Then he insisted on shaking our hands before leaving.

He did not return.  I called him.  He said he “forgot” and would come this morning.

He did come this morning.  Overnight, I too have developed symptoms. So now three of us in the house ill with the same symptoms and two in Canada with the same.  He gave me another box of Gremiltral which we had paid yesterday.  He said he could not get another and instead sold me Seltaferon at a higher price (also Tamiflu).

I then had a discussion with him which did not end well.  I told him my concerns.  That he took no hygenic precautions.  I said I did not believe his diagnosis was correct.  I said he was quoting the most severe symptoms and plenty of confirmed cases are milder. I also stated that his fee was outrageous.  He started yelling.  He said that for it to be covid19, there had to be spots on my lungs and I should go with him to have an xray and it would prove I did not have it.  He said he would order a test kit from queretaro and prove me wrong.  Wait!  Yesterday you said you could not get the test, now today you can?  The yelling at me became ridiculous.  He said he had done research.  I said he should be taking precautions, wearing at least a mask and gloves.  He said he uses gel.  He said he knew we didn’t have it and he didn’t need to take precautions.  I asked how he knew before he arrived and examined anyone.  I told him he was passing whatever we have to his next patient.  He launched into his hoax speech again. I was done with him and told him to leave. He refused, still yelling.

I had to force him physically out my front door.  He put his foot in the door and started pushing to force his way into the house all the while yelling at me.

I won the fight and locked the door.  He stood in the street yelling for a further ten minutes.  

We have since called someone else who tried to arrange to have us tested in León.  They have refused.  They will only test someone if they have had direct contact with a confirmed case or who have flown from one of the more severely affected countries.  México has decided they will not use the test kids widely until the number of confirmed cases has reached a certain number.  I hope you can see the circular logic of confirming cases if you will not test anyone.

One of the friends who returned to Canada has been tested this morning.  They came to get her at her car in full hazmat suits.  They brought a mask for her.  We will have the results in 24 to 48 hours.

My approximately 40 teachers are mostly past retirement age and therefore in the high risk category.  In the interest of not passing this virus, I AM ENDING THE SEMESTER FOR MY SCHOOL NOW!  I do not want my teachers at risk.  I do not want my students at risk or their families.

The virus is HERE.  NOW!

If you are in a high risk category, isolate yourself now!  Do not wait for the Mexican government to use the testing kits because they are not going to until this has blown up.  Or a doctor will tell you the virus is a hoax to make money.

San Miguel is a perfect storm.  Many tourists who come and go.  The foreign community is full of seniors and it full of people who love to travel.

Do not believe there are only 12 cases in México.  They are refusing to test, so it is spreading now.  Do the responsible thing for everyone here.  Cancel any large gatherings.  If you can close a school, or a business, or cancel an event, do it now!

The treatment we received was appalling!  MEXICO IS TAKING NO PRECAUTIONS WHATSOEVER!!  PROTECT YOURSELF AND OUR COMMUNITY.

Teresa León

• Thanks 8

@AngusMactavishYou keep posting these videos by this couple...do you get a cut of the action?  This one looks totally staged....not one other person in the hospital waiting rooms, throughout it.  Video has shots of large waiting rooms, entrance area, with not another soul in sight.  I call BS on it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

What action, they are local residents now traveling Asia? What 'facts" have you contributed?

The video looks totally staged...not one other person in any waiting area. 

Surely you realize that many people post on Youtube for money...they are compensated for the number of hits.  These people post a video every few days.  They have upwards of 500 videos currently showing; though many are repetitive with similar clickbait titles.  

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

The hysteria is spreading here.  Iteso University has shut down and there are runs in progress on Costco.  

This is so damn stupid and overblown.

Survey in Great Britain:  Men were much more likely to say they were not modifying their behaviour than women, by 29% to 21%.

• Like 2

I still don't understand why I got dinged by Mod. 2 for posting information that was and still is readily available online from the CDC, WHO, Mayo Clinic, etc.

I won't detail my shopping trip to Walmart this morning other than to say, many bare shelves. When I asked, I was told "Nada mas."

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Eric Blair said:

I still don't understand why I got dinged by Mod. 2 for posting information that was and still is readily available online from the CDC, WHO, Mayo Clinic, etc.

I won't detail my shopping trip to Walmart this morning other than to say, many bare shelves. When I asked, I was told "Nada mas."

Because it is readily available to anyone that wishes to pursue. Regurgitation was unnecessary and not in the best interests of this web board or members thereof, for 1 individual to make umpteen posts about it-eh!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Because it is readily available to anyone that wishes to pursue. Regurgitation was unnecessary and not in the best interests of this web board or members thereof, for 1 individual to make umpteen posts about it-eh!

I agree w/you totally. But just look at the posts above. IMO, most are either repeats from other sources on the web or irrelevant material.

I will try not to waste more bandwidth with CV-19 posts.

Best to all.

• Like 2

I don’t know which Walmart you went to Eric Blair but I was at San Antonio Walmart this morning at 9am, the shelves were very well stocked.  The water and toilet paper was depleted buy they had skids in the center of the store with water and they were also restocking the toilet paper.  All other areas of the store were well stocked.  Not a lot of over the counter cold and flu remedies on the shelf but there were still some available.  Costco yesterday at rafael sanzio was very busy, long waits to find a parking spot and long line ups at the check out but shoppers were courteous and patient.  

• Thanks 1

Nightmare of people today in Costco and Sam's. Costco no TP. Sam's a good supply. I did not want to go today but, I have to think of our residents. I noticed some coughs and sneezing. Sara would not me let visit our people. She is right. 

Also today is the middle of the month. Which explains some crowds. 

They are not testing people in France  , they quarantine people who may hae it and treat the ones who ar very sck n the hosptal.. They also closed down all non essental sores,.. Only gtocery stores , farmacies and gas stations are opened n Paris now.. My German friend who is married to an Italian cannot return to her house in Italy and she tells me everything there is closed as well.. So if it is a hoax , it is a pretty big one..

• Thanks 1

from https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-03-12/mexico-not-planning-to-restrict-international-travel-health-official

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexico said on Thursday it was not planning to clamp down on international travel to the country or close its borders due to the coronavirus outbreak despite major U.S. curbs announced a day earlier.

Anticipating the arrival of thousands of tourists from North America in the spring break holiday period, Mexico's government said it saw no grounds yet to follow tougher measures taken by an increasing number of countries trying to stop the virus.

Standing alongside President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, Deputy Health Minister Hugo Lopez-Gatell said there was no scientific evidence that tightening access to ports of entry would play a significant role in protecting public health.

"Restricting international travel to Mexico is not planned, nor is it being considered. Nor is closing borders or maritime ports," he told a regular government news conference.

Screening travelers at points of departure could, however, help prevent the spread of the virus, Lopez-Gatell noted.

48 minutes ago, bmh said:

The fact is that AMLO is obviously putting money before the health of his country..Does not want to screw up the Easter business . Pretty sad really.

Wonder how they think the CV gets into Mexico? Gto is having its 'rally" soon and there are basically entries from  all over Europe, including Italy. 

The Coronavirus is just the flu, not the plague.
Don't let your FEAR destroy the economy.
Wash your hands and LIVE YOUR LIFE.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Hud said:

Wonder how they think the CV gets into Mexico? Gto is having its 'rally" soon and there are basically entries from  all over Europe, including Italy. 

The Coronavirus is just the flu, not the plague.
Don't let your FEAR destroy the economy.
Wash your hands and LIVE YOUR LIFE.

Rally GTO Mexico is over now. Tomorrow sessions/stages were cancelled. 

Many infectious disease experts are claiming that New CoronaVirus is not the flu but different; Mortality rate is much higher; 2% vs 0.1%,  Infectivity is much much stronger, etc.  No specific remedy is not available yet. 

Fear might destroy the economy but the point is that the New CoronaVirus will destroy medical system in the country easily. Look at what is happening in Italy, Spain, France and so on.  

Washing hands is effective and Try to AVOID the crowd, too!  I have been to GTO many times to spectate the WRC and I have a feeling that the spectators got exciting experiences and a small chance of getting virus as well.

Do not get too nervous but do not underestimate the New virus. 

Edited by Ukiyo
spelling error
  • Like 8