Chapala.com Webboard

Cottage cheese

luvsdawgs

Check out Super Lake.  They get it delivered from Costco so you can also purchase it there ... the brand is Price and it is imported.  It is very tasty to us.  It is expensive and comes in a large container but we treat ourselves every once in a while.

1 hour ago, cafemediterraneo said:

The best small curd cottage cheese I buy from a Mexican dairyman who sells at the tuesday market and the wednesday Ajijic tienguis. He also sells cheeses and sausage. It is called recoque and is similar to ricotta. He can even show you a picture of the cows it came from....

Is the milk from which he makes his cheese pasteurized?

51 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

He did give an answer that educated me...

It didn't me as it doesn't seem correct. Wikipedia says, "Since the 1930s industrial cottage cheese has been manufactured using pasteurized skim milk..."

3 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

It didn't me as it doesn't seem correct. Wikipedia says, "Since the 1930s industrial cottage cheese has been manufactured using pasteurized skim milk..."

Since you like googling so frequently might I suggest that you google something more accurate like how to make authentic cottage cheese from raw milk. Wiki indeed.🤣😴

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Since you like googling so frequently might I suggest that you google something more accurate like how to make authentic cottage cheese from raw milk. Wiki indeed.🤣😴

I think the important words here are "industrial"," Pasteurized" and "skim". Skim milk is much cheaper than whole milk and can be made from dry powder mixed with water, using the cream for a more expensive product.. Industrial means than the milk from hundreds if not thousands of animals has been combined therefore it must be pasteurized because of the risk. A small dairy using milk from only a few animals that are personally known by the dairyman to be in good health doesn't need to be pasteurized, but most boil it for 10 min. If you've ever eaten camembert or brie cheese you've eaten a raw milk product. The chances of you contracting a brucelosis infection are pretty rare, less than an e.coli from melons or lettuce....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, cafemediterraneo said:

I think the important words here are "industrial"," Pasteurized" and "skim". Skim milk is much cheaper than whole milk and can be made from dry powder mixed with water, using the cream for a more expensive product.. Industrial means than the milk from hundreds if not thousands of animals has been combined therefore it must be pasteurized because of the risk. A small dairy using milk from only a few animals that are personally known by the dairyman to be in good health doesn't need to be pasteurized, but most boil it for 10 min. If you've ever eaten camembert or brie cheese you've eaten a raw milk product. The chances of you contracting a brucelosis infection are pretty rare, less than an e.coli from melons or lettuce....

Excellent and accurate!

To make great tasting cottage cheese you must use whole milk.  I had a Mennonite restaurant where we sold a ton of pierogi dinners.  The pierogi dumpling was stuffed with cottage cheese.  To make the cottage cheese I would buy 10 gallons of whole milk and one gallon of butter milk to make it work.  This was allowed to sour and with a few additives we had our cottage cheese.  Every 3 or 4 days we had to start a new batch so we always had two or three batches working at the same time to meet the demand. The process usually takes around a week.  I tried to buy dated milk at the store to speed up the process but couldn't get a reliable source.

I'm with Yo1 on this one. There have been at least 3 outbreaks over the past years in Puerto Vallarta. It always starts the same, someone selling homemade cheeses, like queso fresco, become popular, then bang, outbreak of disease. The sanitation required to process dairy products must be impeccable. It includes steam, and more likely these days, UV steri!izers.

Another easy to make fresh cheese, from pasteurised whole milk, is called paneer cheese.

Anyone with a compromised immune system should not be consuming raw milk products.

Let's ask the FDA

https://www.fda.gov/food/buy-store-serve-safe-food/dangers-raw-milk-unpasteurized-milk-can-pose-serious-health-risk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think we are missing the point. If you buy cottage cheese at Soriana, or SuperLake, or WalMart, it's going to be just fine. Locals don't like getting sick anymore than we do. Whether you like it or not is a different story. And there are not very many choices. It is Mexico.

I have found only two choices for cottage cheese here but neither is the small curd. Both are in sealed containers and Lala beats Lyncott hands down for flavour. I'm not talking about the "light" products either. Yummy with cantaloupe.

On 3/1/2020 at 9:33 AM, cafemediterraneo said:

The best small curd cottage cheese I buy from a Mexican dairyman who sells at the tuesday market and the wednesday Ajijic tienguis. He also sells cheeses and sausage. It is called recoque and is similar to ricotta. He can even show you a picture of the cows it came from....

I've eaten lots of requesón (like ricotta), and I've also eaten a lot of jocoque (more like soured cream), but I've never heard of recoque.  I can't find it listed in any culinary dictionary, either.   It's not in the Larousse online Spanish-language culinary dictionary, or the Diccionario Enciclopedica de la Gastronomia Mexicana--not in either of the two editions.  

Cafemediterraneo, could you ask him again about the name?  I'm very curious.  Thanks.