Chapala.com Webboard

Expat Ajijic meeting

HarryB

Drove the western end of the bike path yesterday from Villa Nova to the western end of the restaurants just before La Cima then back.

The bike path, while quite wide & protected by concrete Jersey Barriers is a mess, drivable as small path, width 30 cm to 60cm all the rest is plugged up with the leavings of the contractors responsible for the scarifying the roadway. Dirty asphalt piled up to 10cm depth right across the pathway from 1-2 meters in length repeating at periodic intervals as if dumped? Sorry no pics!

mkshawn try walking the bike path next time. You didn't go far enough west. Much of the bike path isn't protected by concrete dividers at is is above the carretera and some distance from it. In some places it is half a meter wide but it is usually 1 to 2 meters wide Almost none of it is plugged up with asphalt. I will check it again this week. 

• Sad 1

On 2/25/2020 at 11:28 AM, mkshawn said:

I'm guessing you do not understand Yesterday to mean the 24th Feb? Actually I ventured as far as I wanted & had no need to go further!

Not a good guess but it doesn't matter. Some of the best part of the bike path is west of San Juan Cosala-several kilometers of it-you didn't even see it.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 12:23 PM, Mainecoons said:

The part that has the greatest potential for significant usage is from west Ajijic to and into Chapala simply based on population density.  There really is no significant undeveloped land between those two points now.

True. But west of San Juan Cosala is growing rapidly. and that is where the oldest part of the bike path is. (at least 10 years old). Many residents west of San Juan Cosala do their grocery shopping not at San Antonio instead at Tlacomulco at places like Fresco, Mega, Costco, etc. They shop there to avoid the Ajijic/San  Antonio congestion.

On 2/25/2020 at 11:28 AM, mkshawn said:

I'm guessing you do not understand Yesterday to mean the 24th Feb? Actually I ventured as far as I wanted & had no need to go further!

Well you missed a great deal of the bike path so your observations aren't that valid.

28 minutes ago, mkshawn said:

Valid as a rockfall completely blocking the bike path, never mind the surface is totally deteriorated.

20200226_125058.thumb.jpg.30a53e204abd1d3e2212cddca2a6b413.jpgd

Yes that is a short part of the bike path that has never been used. in the 11 years that I have been here. There is a slowly disintegrating cliff above it. Bikers use the acotamiento below it. There is a sidewalk below also.

1 hour ago, cedros said:

Yes, Piedra Barrenada. That is a short part of the bike path that I have never seen used. There the rocky outcrop was quite close to the lake  and protected the residents of San Juan Cosala  from invaders from the east. When the bike path was built there they didn't know what to do. So they built a hill up oneside and down the other.   There is a slowly disintegrating cliff above it. Bikers use the acotamiento below the bike path. There is a sidewalk below also. Once you get past that short section the bike path is fine. If I was a biker I think I would go up there as you are away from the traffic and there is a better view. I have walked that part. They are going to have to redo that section.