Chapala.com Webboard

Expat Ajijic meeting

HarryB

1 minute ago, cedros said:

"A lot of pedestrians on the bike path!?"  You must be seeing in quadruplicate or more. West of Ajijic you seem many more cyclists using the carretera rather than the bile path. ea93105 you have a lot to learn about Mexico. So naive but you will get there. Bicycling and Mexico only go together in some of the larger cities like Guadsalajara.

Recently I counted 40 pedestrians between Mirasol and Riberas and a group of ten roller bladers. Is  condescension necessary ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

The difference here is that we have an almost perfectly straight road so the barriers are only to prevent cars from going into the bike path from driver error or intentionally rather than loss of control due to curves. True that the old style barriers are more likely to deflect than the new design but they are also ugly. I appreciate that they tried to add some visual appeal with the new design. Time will tell whether the flower idea will work out. As a bicyclist I am willing to accept the extremely small increment of danger of the new design.

"As a bicyclist I am willing to accept the extremely small increment of danger of the new design" Is an understatement supreme. A steel horizontal barrier would be not only much more effective, but much less expensive and I would say just as 'attractive" as those ugly monstrosities that we are now facing. And please explain what you mean by the "flower idea". 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

"As a bicyclist I am willing to accept the extremely small increment of danger of the new design" Is an understatement supreme. A steel horizontal barrier would be not only much more effective, but much less expensive and I would say just as 'attractive" as those ugly monstrosities that we are now facing. And please explain what you mean by the "flower idea". 

The middle of the barriers have planter boxes for flowers. Soon we may be complaining about the slow water truck to water them lol

Oh yeah, also in all my years in Southern California, the Freeway Capital of the World (mostly on flat land), i never saw a spiked concrete barrier...only horizontal steel beams maybe 2 or 3 spaced a foot or so apart. I saw a lot of cars that had been diverted from the oncoming traffic lanes by this, thus saving a lot of lives not to mention only minor damage to the offending vehicles. Makes sense to me!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ea93105 said:

Recently I counted 40 pedestrians between Mirasol and Riberas and a group of ten roller bladers. Is  condescension necessary ?

Condescension isn't necessary from either side. Very few cyclists on the bike path anywhere that is what I and many others see.

I appreciate all these community posts but PLEASE put the DAY, DATE  & TIME as well as the LOCATION clearly to all posts regarding community meetings which seem to be popping up like mad. I was just told of another one, regarding the Auditorium on Thursday Feb.27 at 5PM regarding some officials who want to tear it down, so I have been told.

Some dated posts remain up and since they do not have complete info, we may go and  find they happened the prior week!

All of this is important to those of us who call Ajijic home!

Thank you!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Joyinmexico said:

I appreciate all these community posts but PLEASE put the DAY, DATE  & TIME as well as the LOCATION clearly to all posts regarding community meetings which seem to be popping up like mad. I was just told of another one, regarding the Auditorium on Thursday Feb.27 at 5PM regarding some officials who want to tear it down, so I have been told.

Some dated posts remain up and since they do not have complete info, we may go and  find they happened the prior week!

All of this is important to those of us who call Ajijic home!

Thank you!

Thank you for that.  It is confusing when the basic information is not available.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cedros said:

Condescension isn't necessary from either side. Very few cyclists on the bike path anywhere that is what I and many others see.

Are you perhaps comparing the number of walkers and cyclists on the bike path to the number of cars on the road>

I drive the carretera regularly and I always observe  many walkers and bike riders using the path.

My partner and I plan to purchase a couple of basic bikes now that a relatively safe riding space is being provided. I am 100% certain we won't be the only ones who will now be able to ride. 

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, chapalence said:

Are you perhaps comparing the number of walkers and cyclists on the bike path to the number of cars on the road>

I drive the carretera regularly and I always observe  many walkers and bike riders using the path.

My partner and I plan to purchase a couple of basic bikes now that a relatively safe riding space is being provided. I am 100% certain we won't be the only ones who will now be able to ride. 

Are you trying to tell us that the number of pedestrians and bicycles  compare to the hundreds if not thousands of motorized vehicles using these roadways? I suggest to you that it's not even close. Math problem?

I don't think anybody cares about the number of people at this point. Walkers, cyclists, wheelchairs. No one cares what kind of concrete barriers they are, either. The problem is the width and the loss of road room, passing room, bus stops and emergency pullover areas.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, chapalence said:

"If you build it, they will come." I have had a bicycle here for 13 years and it is only now that I am considering using it as my primary "go to" source of transportation when needing to get somewhere within 5 or 6 miles of where I live. One less car on the carretera and a huge time saver with no worries about where to park. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ea93105 said:

The middle of the barriers have planter boxes for flowers. Soon we may be complaining about the slow water truck to water them lol

There may be a water truck that waters once the flowers are planted. Notice I said “once” as that will be the first and last time the truck will show. 
I do not say this in a mean or condescending way...ea93105, how long have you lived in this area? 

14 minutes ago, Joyfull said:

There may be a water truck that waters once the flowers are planted. Notice I said “once” as that will be the first and last time the truck will show. 
I do not say this in a mean or condescending way...ea93105, how long have you lived in this area? 

3 years full time, but have been coming to Mexico for over 50 years. I think I mentioned that it remains to be seen whether the flower idea will work out, probably not as you say

On 2/22/2020 at 2:36 PM, Mainecoons said:

The low parts of their design make it very easy for a vehicle to mount them as opposed to being pushed off.  Because of that they have added a threat to pedestrians and cyclists alike because it is no longer very likely vehicles will be prevented from careening over and into the bike lane.

I don't know if they are the same kind, but they sound like the ones they installed on the entrance into Sayulita when they redid the road a few years ago. Within 6 months half of them were pushed sideways from vehicles hitting them, and trucks just drove right over or between them and parked in the bike lane. Now half of them seem to be gone completely.

I think the design and the narrowing of the road is insane not to mention how that money could have been used for repairs and maintenance of infrastructure like maybe making the existing sidewalks walkable!

On 2/1/2020 at 11:44 AM, Mostlylost said:

It is obvious you haven't traveled much in Mexico.  One thing to remember about government spending here; it is easier to get kickbacks from a new project than from a repair budget.

On 2/19/2020 at 11:21 AM, sm1mex said:

Hope the extra stores will be Dairy Queen.  Love those Blizzards !!

8 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I don't know if they are the same kind, but they sound like the ones they installed on the entrance into Sayulita when they redid the road a few years ago. Within 6 months half of them were pushed sideways from vehicles hitting them, and trucks just drove right over or between them and parked in the bike lane. Now half of them seem to be gone completely.

Very different from Sayulita. They are a new design. Much larger.

Driving through Ajijic last night it appears that their plan was/is to have a multi-use non car path separated from the road by a low 8 inch or so curb. high enough to stop or discourage voluntary entry of cars and prevent parking. 

Seems like no plan will please everybody  ( understatement of year ? )

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 4:33 PM, HarryB said:

The mexican residents of Ajijic who are dealing with Chapala re the carretera have asked me to invite interested expats to an informational meeting at the old posada at 5 p.m. on monday. They will be returning from meeting with the municipality and want to inform expat residents. These are NOT government officials. They are community leaders who are trying to influence what is happening to our village.

Thanks for the heads up.  Unfortunately, will be out of town but would appreciate any report of what was discussed.  

On 2/22/2020 at 8:32 PM, cedros said:

"A lot of pedestrians on the bike path!?"  You must be seeing in quadruplicate or more. West of Ajijic you see many more cyclists using the carretera rather than the bike path-usage of the bike path is rare there. ea93105 you have a lot to learn about Mexico. So naive but you will probably get some sense. Bicycling and Mexico only go together in some of the larger cities like Guadalajara.

Cedros, you might want to get out a little more. Ajijic has many bicyclists, both recreational and as a mode of transportation. 

• Like 2

If we really had a continuous, unobstructed bike path from Jocotepec to Chapala I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at the level of usage.  However if big and dangerous stretches are left as they are now and people allowed to park their cars on it, most will continue to avoid it as a practical commuter alternative.  

The issue here is these impractical, dangerous barriers, the incomplete part on a very dangerous stretch of road west of Ajijic and the use of it as a parking lot in Ajijic.  In a benign climate like this, something built and managed properly will get used.  There are still many locals all along the lake who do not have cars.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ajijiccharlie said:

Cedros, you might want to get out a little more. Ajijic has many bicyclists, both recreational and as a mode of transportation. 

Maybe.

This morning I drove from Jocotepec to San Antonio and I counted 8 cyclists. 6 were using the carretera the other 2 were using the bike path. 3 people were walking on the bike path (2 of these in downtown Ajijic). Meanwhile I passed over 200 cars and mptorcycles coming the opposite direction from me on the carretera. These aren't totally equivalent as the bike path is under construction in  some small areas but for many kilometers west of Ajijic it is intact. I've driven this route hundreds of times. On Sunday you see many more cyclists-they usually use the carretera rather that the bike path. I thought the bike path might be too rough but I have walked it a number of times and it seems okay. There can be problems there in the rainy season.