Chapala.com Webboard

Meeting Wednesday 11 am to protest plan to narrow highway in Ajijic center

Taaffe

43 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

Pappy you surely must know that government police, fire, and emergency vehicles are not governed by civilian traffic laws anywhere in the world that I know of, so they can legally do that. The ratio of police vehicles to civilian traffic is almost negligible 

They must obey traffic laws unless in an emergency situation (lights & sirens) in Texas, California, Nevada,  Missouri, and Florida that I am aware of.

4 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

They must obey traffic laws unless in an emergency situation (lights & sirens) in Texas, California, Nevada,  Missouri, and Florida that I am aware of.

Of course, emergency situation:  I said emergency vehicles, not routine patrolling, but you can bet they will make a U-Turn in the middle of a busy street if they get that call or they see something suspicious or looks improper/illegal.  They are not going to wait until the next green light and left turn arrow. :018:

14 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

Of course, emergency situation:  I said emergency vehicles, not routine patrolling, but you can bet they will make a U-Turn in the middle of a busy street if they get that call or they see something suspicious or looks improper/illegal.  They are not going to wait until the next green light and left turn arrow. :018:

You are correct. That is why they have lights & sirens. When they turn those on the rules change. And other drivers are alerted that they may not be observing normal regulations.

I was referring to the statement that everywhere in the world emergency and police vehicles are not subject to traffic laws without lights and or sirens. I stated examples where that statement was in 100% wrong. 

How is an emergency vehicle going to get any where when the traffic is almost bumper to bumper? The cars cannot get out of the way because of the barriers , same on the other side. Large delay for police response and could be life threatening as the ambulance sits in traffic  lights and horns going. Honest to God.......where do these engineers come from?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

You are correct. That is why they have lights & sirens. When they turn those on the rules change. And other drivers are alerted that they may not be observing normal regulations.

I was referring to the statement that everywhere in the world emergency and police vehicles are not subject to traffic laws without lights and or sirens. I stated examples where that statement was in 100% wrong. 

What the H are you talking about?  I didn´t say anything about moving without lights and sirens, that´s when they become "emergency vehicles" and not normal traffic vehicles.  ¿Comprendes?

4 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

What the H are you talking about?  I didn´t say anything about moving without lights and sirens, that´s when they become "emergency vehicles" and not normal traffic vehicles.  ¿Comprendes?

Hey sorry for the misunderstading.

Pappysmarket commented that the police here don't observe the traffic laws You quoted him that police don't have to obey the traffic laws anywhere in the world. I just re read it. No mention by either  of you regarding lights & sirens.

Possibly you did not understand his comments. I read it to say he was not talking about emergency situations. 

Maybe I read it wrong. But the fact remains lights & sirens are on those vehicles for a reason. To announce to other drivers to beware.

On that you and I are in 100% agreement. 

34 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I've got a lovely bridge to sell anyone who thinks an accredited engineer had anything to do with this debacle.

🙄

Maybe we should give them a little credit,  after all the barriers did what they were supposed to do, stop a truck from merging dangerously into the bike lane :)

24 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

Maybe we should give them a little credit,  after all the barriers did what they were supposed to do, stop a truck from merging dangerously into the bike lane :)

The expats bitch and complain they want  bike lanes , they get them and they still bitch and complain..  The barrier did what it was designed to do, stop a vehicle getting into the bike lane...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

The expats bitch and complain they want  bike lanes , they get them and they still bitch and complain..  The barrier did what it was designed to do, stop a vehicle getting into the bike lane...

I have never heard a Gringo ever bitch about the bike path.  It is being driven by Guad folks not us. I would like a real sidewalk west of town before the bike path continues. This I have heard us bitching about. Bike path never.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Pappy you surely must know that government police, fire, and emergency vehicles are not governed by civilian traffic laws anywhere in the world that I know of, so they can legally do that. The ratio of police vehicles to civilian traffic is almost negligible 

I don't think the police can legally turn left off the carretera in Ajijic to go down Colon unless they have their red lights on but they do it often.  This emboldens others to do it.

41 minutes ago, lcscats said:

I have never heard a Gringo ever bitch about the bike path.  It is being driven by Guad folks not us. I would like a real sidewalk west of town before the bike path continues. This I have heard us bitching about. Bike path never.

The previous administration put a fast one over on us with the bike path. There was a vote that was postponed, the second time there wasn't much notice and no plan was presented only for or against ....I voted against it. The sensible thing to do was to run the path along the frontage road and just cement a path or widen the sidewalk to accommodate bikes. This whole thing has been a fiasco, making a bad situation worse and now they're doubling down. How many more accidents until they teat down what they're building now? I personally haven't driven since 1973, so I do appreciate a path for non-auto traffic, but this plan sucks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's working folks...It's working!!!!! A friend told me yesterday that 5 Canadians in El Dorado gave up their rentals and went home!!!!!!!!

BTW the "vote" mentioned above was a show where party members were ordered to vote yes. I would bet the bike path could have been paved with gold for what it cost including ( graft).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Hahaha....In most of the world...those vehicles obey the same traffic laws as everyone else unless they are responding to an emergency. Certainly you are aware of that. Making a left onto Colon with several guys standing in the back of their Paddy Wagon at normal speed with no lights flashing is the equivalent of giving everyone the finger and you know it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cafemediterraneo said:

The previous administration put a fast one over on us with the bike path. There was a vote that was postponed, the second time there wasn't much notice and no plan was presented only for or against ....I voted against it. The sensible thing to do was to run the path along the frontage road and just cement a path or widen the sidewalk to accommodate bikes. This whole thing has been a fiasco, making a bad situation worse and now they're doubling down. How many more accidents until they teat down what they're building now? I personally haven't driven since 1973, so I do appreciate a path for non-auto traffic, but this plan sucks.

What frontage road in Ajijic ? The frontage road in La Floresta is now getting traffic with people trying to get ahead. Even if there were four lanes for cars in La Floresta, it would change traffic flow very little if at all, the bottle neck of Ajijic determines the flow on the carretera

"this plan sucks"  What is the plan for ajijic ? Inquiring minds want to know

Accidents ? looks like incompetent drivers to me. 

1 hour ago, RVGRINGO said:

Some of us remember a previous plan:  Carretera westbound only, with eastbound traffic routed via Ocampo, etc. on through La Floresta.........

Yes, the old "high road" and "low road" solution.  Made all kinds of sense but perhaps someone on the "low road" had enough pull to kill it.

10 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Hahaha....In most of the world...those vehicles obey the same traffic laws as everyone else unless they are responding to an emergency. Certainly you are aware of that. Making a left onto Colon with several guys standing in the back of their Paddy Wagon at normal speed with no lights flashing is the equivalent of giving everyone the finger and you know it.

Of course, emergency vehicles mean emergency situations, and not routine patrolling or moving a vehicle from one location to another under normal circumstances.  But since you brought it up, when do you think a fire, police, or ambulance has received a ticket for an illegal turn or any other traffic violation when not responding to emergency situations?  Do you think unmarked cars with plain clothes FBI agents, or Russian Gestapo, or police in third world countries are being ticketed?  They can do whatever they want, legal or not.  The ticketors and the ticketees, all belong to the same brotherhood.