Chapala.com Webboard

RECO's LIQUID POISON FOR CUTTER ANTS

My beautiful garden is being attacked continuously by plant eating ants.

Both day and night feasting going on!!

Where applicable I am using powder  round the ant beds/holes with excellent results

BUT have a large area where ants have set up a very deeply constructed 'city'

and powder nor pellets are effective.

Please any recommendations for application of liquid poison or an exterminator who

can successfully treat this very large infestation.  BEFORE my garden disappears!

Thanks so very much😊

2 hours ago, vetteforron said:

I buy near the cruzcero in Jocotepec called Trompa. Also works great. Apply in the evening when no rain is expected. Looks like little tiny sticks. I see the ants carrying them to the hole to feed the queen. 

They don't feed the queen.  They feed the fungus which they, in turn, eat.

• Like 2

Apachewoman, I used a pot of boiling water on the cutter ants in my garden and that seemed to work. I waited until late in the afternoon when they were back in their hole. I poured the boiling water in the hole and the next morning there was a pile of dead ants -- it must've been a deep hole because the whole pot of water went in there.  That was about two weeks ago and I haven't seen any cutter ants since. Buenas suerte!

I had an invasion of cutter ants three years ago. Nocturnal cutter ants. Maybe they work in 12 hour shifts? Anyway, I got rid of them using diatomaceous earth and, magically, all the plants budded out again with new leaves. So, I'm wondering if anything really works or it's just a cycle that they go through every three years? I'm not doing anything this time and I'll let you know in three years. Maybe. ;)

• Like 1

I have fought leaf cutter ants for years and I suspect it is a cycle. I used most of the various treatments. I wasn't crazy about Trompa as I noticed my dogs eat it. I have found (so far) that powdered laundry detergent poured down their hole followed by water works as well as anything. 

The cutter ants were attacking my orange tree. It was recommended to cover the base with foil and grease it with car oil. . That worked great until I saw the leaves again being eaten. It appeared a branch of the tree was so low it touched the ground....yup they found it and up the tree.  They also  destroyed 5 of my 6 rosebushes. . We were told to find poop dropping from other nests as they won't go near another nest. That worked but rain diluted it and we didn't pay attention until too late. We tried the powder, pellets even house aerosol ant killer. Stuck it into the hole . Worked little while but I guess the survivors rebuilt. The best one for us was the foil and grease. We just need to pay more attention.

16 hours ago, Floradude said:

Othro Home Defense ...sprayed on the column of ants as they march to and from your plants.  Of course this means going outside after dark.  I take great joy in killing hundreds of them every time I spray.   However,  they will always regroup and return.  

I have not been able to find home defense in the past six months. None at Home Depot. 
any  sightings lately?

5 hours ago, Newjersey expat said:

The cutter ants were attacking my orange tree. It was recommended to cover the base with foil and grease it with car oil. . That worked great until I saw the leaves again being eaten. It appeared a branch of the tree was so low it touched the ground....yup they found it and up the tree.  They also  destroyed 5 of my 6 rosebushes. . We were told to find poop dropping from other nests as they won't go near another nest. That worked but rain diluted it and we didn't pay attention until too late. We tried the powder, pellets even house aerosol ant killer. Stuck it into the hole . Worked little while but I guess the survivors rebuilt. The best one for us was the foil and grease. We just need to pay more attention.

I used Tree Tanglefoot for the same purpose. It was organic and very effective. I put masking or duck tape around the main stem and then smeared the Tree Tanglefoot on the tape. It was good for one to several months depending on how long the stickiness of the Tanglefoot lasted (dust or dirt from water splashing ground dirt onto it would reduce the stickiness). It stopped all crawling insects.   

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Floradude said:

Othro Home Defense ...sprayed on the column of ants as they march to and from your plants.  Of course this means going outside after dark.  I take great joy in killing hundreds of them every time I spray.   However,  they will always regroup and return.  

Superlake and Jara ferreteria sold an Ortho aerosol product called Ant Killer that was great for killing the ant columns. I spent many dark evenings killing them. Occasionally there were day columns of ants that weren't cutting leaves but that appeared to be carrying eggs to move their nest. It worked on day or night ants very effectively but it was a poison. I haven't seen that product for awhile.