Chapala.com Webboard

LaPueblita retirement project

LaPueblita

What I was told on a tour several months ago that there were two tiers, one at $4,000 and the other $10,000.  The $4,000 was not refundable and included breakfast only on the plan.  With the $10,000 plan you could sell it to someone else or upon death transferred to the family.  It included a certain number of meals per week which was breakfast, lunch or dinner.  Both included some other benefits (?) but I don't remember because I was definitely not interested. 

Well it is a tad less expensive than the place I know in France   for full assistance but since they have  no past history I would go where my mother is rather than in this unknown. At least I know they have great food there.

Restaurant is important if you depend on them to eat, transportation to a store as well if you cannot drive ad the  pool pretty useles if you are in bad shape,. I guess good for the few that go there  and are able to swim if it is nice and heated..The deposit fee is ridiculous.. So I will continue looking.

On 6/20/2021 at 6:53 PM, bmh said:

Be aware that PROFECO is an arbitrain type of court and if La Pueblita offers you a small amount to settle and you refuse . then you lose and they tell you to take it to civil court.

Agreed.  Trying to get money back from Aero Mexico was a mostly delay and delay until you got tired of it and quit.  

• 4 weeks later...

I’m writing this to warn the Chapala community of the unscrupulous business practices of La Pueblita Retirement Center in west Ajijic. My mother is 85 years old and was living alone in the US. It became clear that her health was declining, so I convinced her to move to Ajijic so I could get her the care she needed and I could be nearby. La Pueblita is very close to my home, and so I went there to see what they offered. Their staff told me La Pueblita offered all levels of elder care, from independent living, to assisted living, to memory care. I told them I needed to get my mom here soon, and they said no worries, their cafeteria would be open in 2 weeks, and they would be opening the memory unit also very soon. I moved my mom her February 25 into a “casita” at La Pueblita. In order to do so I had to pay $4800.00 in membership fees, plus a $2300.00 security deposit and one months rent , for a total of about $9000.00. When my mother arrived the casita was filthy with construction dust, so I had to hire a maid to clean the place. The internet did not work. The cafetería was still not open, and the staff seemed oblivious to the concept of caring for elderly people. Quickly it became obvious that my mother needed assistance, as she was suffering from considerable memory loss. La Pueblita had no possible way of assisting her. They had no laundry service, no food service, no cleaning service, and no internet. On March 12, just 2 weeks after I moved her in, I moved my mother to a facility that actually was equipped to take care of assisted living residents, and I asked La Pueblita for a refund. They put me in contact with Lucas, who told me there was a 90 day waiting period for refunds. After 90 days I contacted Lucas, and he started making all sorts of excuses for why they couldn’t pay, and told me per our agreement only 75 percent of the membership fees would be refunded. After several weeks of calling over and over La Pueblita returned $3500 out of the $9000.00 I paid to have my mother there 2 weeks. Lucas advised they could not refund my security deposit at that time because there was a delay with the banks due to covid. It’s now been almost 5 months and they are still in possession of $5500.00 for my mother to stay in the casita 2 weeks. I know someone else who is experiencing a very similar situation with La Pueblita, so please be extremely careful if you intend on dealing with these people.

• Thanks 4

I’m writing this to warn the Chapala community of the unscrupulous business practices of La Pueblita Retirement Center in west Ajijic. My mother is 85 years old and was living alone in the US. It became clear that her health was declining, so I convinced her to move to Ajijic so I could get her the care she needed and I could be nearby. La Pueblita is very close to my home, and so I went there to see what they offered. Their staff told me La Pueblita offered all levels of elder care, from independent living, to assisted living, to memory care. I told them I needed to get my mom here soon, and they said no worries, their cafeteria would be open in 2 weeks, and they would be opening the memory unit also very soon. I moved my mom her February 25 into a “casita” at La Pueblita. In order to do so I had to pay $4800.00 in membership fees, plus a $2300.00 security deposit and one months rent , for a total of about $9000.00. When my mother arrived the casita was filthy with construction dust, so I had to hire a maid to clean the place. The internet did not work. The cafetería was still not open, and the staff seemed oblivious to the concept of caring for elderly people. Quickly it became obvious that my mother needed assistance, as she was suffering from considerable memory loss. La Pueblita had no possible way of assisting her. They had no laundry service, no food service, no cleaning service, and no internet. On March 12, just 2 weeks after I moved her in, I moved my mother to a facility that actually was equipped to take care of assisted living residents, and I asked La Pueblita for a refund. They put me in contact with Lucas, who told me there was a 90 day waiting period for refunds. After 90 days I contacted Lucas, and he started making all sorts of excuses for why they couldn’t pay, and told me per our agreement only 75 percent of the membership fees would be refunded. After several weeks of calling over and over La Pueblita returned $3500 out of the $9000.00 I paid to have my mother there 2 weeks. Lucas advised they could not refund my security deposit at that time because there was a delay with the banks due to covid. It’s now been almost 5 months and they are still in possession of $5500.00 for my mother to stay in the casita 2 weeks. I know someone else who is experiencing a very similar situation with La Pueblita, so please be extremely careful if you intend on dealing with these people.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the information about this place.  Your mother was fortunate to have you to take care of the problem and move her elsewhere.  I am appalled at their practices!

I'd suggest that anyone contemplating either moving a relative or even themselves into a care facility should find one that has been in business fully for more than a year and for whom reviews by residents or relatives are available.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is a very sad experience to report when I am sure there were great  expectations for this kind of  facility . From the  onset  when they first started to make presentations their answers always seemed  vague and complicated . I hope your Mother will receive the TLC we all know the MX personal  are capable of providing 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, bmh said:

and it is too bad this is not a reliable place because it probably could have been a successful business but cheating people and being difficult is not the right way to start in a small community.

But i assume from the size of the facility the owners will be looking for significant business from  Clients NOB, and not just walk ins from the local community 

I am sure the Pandemic has had some negative affect both on it's completion and general busy plan, sadly they have not been able to handle the consequences in a professional manner . Anyone have more details on the developer?

On 6/21/2021 at 2:12 PM, bmh said:

What is very expensive?

Fr exemple my mother in France  rent a nice one bedroom apartment in a building with restaurant and elevator. There are nurses 24 /7 . Each person has to wear a necklace  to call for help if they need it. There is a library and games and events weekly.

Once a week a van take people wherever they need to go in town, barbers and hairdressers also come as well as many other suppliers.

There is a nice garden with benches  to relax on .

Electricity heat water are included, You have to contract for phone and internet. You can hire cleaners The laundry people also come once a week to pick up and deliver.

You can hire help to help you daily if you like.  The monthly price  for the apartment is 200 Euros  My mother spends about 500 euros a month at the restaurant.

If you become totally incapcitate with Alzeimer for exemple you canot stay there but you are signed in into another facility that has only private rooms and for that the price is 700 euros with nurses and doctors 24/7

That is in a country where the realestate is more expensive than here and the help is expensive as you have to pay all benefits. Minimum 35 euros an hour for a cleaner  and up from there for nurses and helpers.

How does it compare pricewise.?

You are comparing apples to potatoes.  Different country. Different cost.  That does not mean it is not expensive FOR MEXICO.  You cannot make this comparison.

• Like 1