Chapala.com Webboard

Like the Hitchcock film, my house seems unusually popular this year with the local sparrow community. I’ve tried a number of things (dangling CDs, plastic owls, owl cry recordings, etc) to try to discourage them from building their nests in the eaves above our veranda, but nothing seems to deter them.

Perhaps my mistake was to have the eaves cleaned a couple weeks back (apparently the avian equivalent of urban renewal). Anyhow, does anyone have any ideas on how I might rid myself of these pests. (Any one interested in opening a yakitori shop)?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Sparrow pie is very tasty but you probably have swallows not sparrows.

Nope. Sparrows. Thus the yakitori reference. The original recipe for “burned bird” called for sparrow. Tiny bones and all. 

I must thank the earlier poster, who solved not only my bird problem, but my ant and cockroach problems as well. 😉

• Haha 1

I have a bird issue too, sparrows, swallows and kiskadees or who knows, all I know is they are not welcome pooping everywhere and let me tell you it takes the paint right off metal surfaces and is a true eyesore, along with they see themselves in my windows at ungodly 7am hours and bang on my windows.  I too have done all the tactics the OP mentioned.  

It is causing me lack of sleep, time wasted continually cleaning and seriously birds are carriers of everything.  They need to go one way or the other, just how.  ???

• Like 1

Excuse me?  Birds are part of the natural cycle and an essential part of the environment.  IF you don't want them around, you should not be in a semi-rural setting.  Yes, they are also in big cities, but not in the numbers they are out here in the "country".

And yes, we have all kinds of sparrows around right now, to be followed by the swallows who have maintained several nests attached to our house over several years. We welcome them and consider the clean-up as little problem over the good they do......including eating LOTS of bugs, plus providing endless hours of entertainment for my several totally indoor cats!

A swallow problem:  (Perhaps many of the swallow fans here might have advice) Each year a swallow pair comes to build their nest, under our covered deck.  Each year the babies are born and they end up dead on the floor.  The mother goes nuts as this is taking place.  This is several years in a row already, and it is rather depressing to see them die and go through that stress. I don't mind cleaning up from bird poop mess, but gosh this is so very sad.

Any advice????

Maybe try stuffing scrunched up chicken wire in openings. Hire someone who is good with ladders. I have spent many happy hours watching the swallows and bats at sunset. Nesting birds are only a hazard if they nest above human entrance ways. They are usually infested with mites, which may fall on humans or pets.

I recently posted plans for home made bird/pest scaring cannons. 130 decibels. Not popular with neighbors though!

Your problems started when you cleaned the eaves and provided a space for the sparrows to nest.  I don't know the configuration of your eaves but they need to be filled/covered.  Talk to your gardener or handyman and come up with a material that looks good.  I used screen wire and cut it a little larger than my opening for a tight fit.

• Thanks 1