Chapala.com Webboard

Fresh uncooked chicken

judybrick

There is a place on the corner of the carretera and Colon, north side. Puritan Poultry in San Antonio/Riberas is an excellent source, although a bit pricier. In fact, there are so many places as I'm driving around, I don't even think about it.

I note also that there is an excellent stall for fresh ground chicken, and other prime meats, at the Tuesday market in La Huerta Eventos places west of town.

Ask for Maria Elena, left corner just as you walk in from parking area.

Does this man still sell chicken at the Wednesday tianguis, down at the bottom at the corner of Constitución?  IMHO it was the best fresh chicken in Ajijic, when I lived there.  

image.png.4c40e14de145efd1777be288200905c6.png

• Thanks 2

Just now, More Liana said:

Does this man still sell chicken at the Wednesday tianguis, down at the bottom at the corner of Constitución?  IMHO it was the best fresh chicken in Ajijic, when I lived there.  

image.png.4c40e14de145efd1777be288200905c6.png

He is at the Chapala tianguis on Mondays and as you can see,has a more sanitary set up and probably better prices😀

tianguis chicken.jpg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I note also that there is an excellent stall for fresh ground chicken, and other prime meats, at the Tuesday market in La Huerta Eventos places west of town.

Ask for Maria Elena, left corner just as you walk in from parking area.

But if you go at opening time be careful not to get knocked over in the stampede. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What do you mean by fresh? Do you really want natural raised. The reputation of Mexico chicken and egg industries is among the worst in the world. This is not organic chicken, it is small ranchitas who keep free range chooks and feed them chicken feed, or crushed corn, and what bugs come their way. They are slautered fresh in the mornings and delivered to various tiendas to be sold out that day. I like the tienda and carniceria across from Soriana. They also sell fresh, seasonal vegetables and unwashed natural eggs. A lot of locals buy their meats there, even though the Soriana is just across a parking lot. These generations of ancianas and mothers know quality and freshness. My own cardiologist once warned me that factory raised chicken was the "dirtiest" meat you could buy in Mexico. Another myth is that Mexican chicken is yellow because they feed the chickens marigold flowers. Not true, it is a brushed on natural stain. You can see the butchers at Soriana or Walmart doing this.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ComputerGuy said:

Research shows that colour comes from an infinitely debatable series of options, from food to chicken type to calcified chicken fat. I have never heard of brushing on colour, nor can I find mention of it.

Maybe try searching in Spanish.

7 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

What do you mean by fresh? Do you really want natural raised. The reputation of Mexico chicken and egg industries is among the worst in the world. This is not organic chicken, it is small ranchitas who keep free range chooks and feed them chicken feed, or crushed corn, and what bugs come their way. They are slautered fresh in the mornings and delivered to various tiendas to be sold out that day. I like the tienda and carniceria across from Soriana. They also sell fresh, seasonal vegetables and unwashed natural eggs. A lot of locals buy their meats there, even though the Soriana is just across a parking lot. These generations of ancianas and mothers know quality and freshness. My own cardiologist once warned me that factory raised chicken was the "dirtiest" meat you could buy in Mexico. Another myth is that Mexican chicken is yellow because they feed the chickens marigold flowers. Not true, it is a brushed on natural stain. You can see the butchers at Soriana or Walmart doing this.

This would be humorous if it weren't so sadly misleading. What you are describing is the butchers covering SOME CHICKEN PARTS with a spicy concoction that is somewhat reddish. That is all and nothing more. Soriana and walmart buy their chickens from well known and regulated factory producers who also have facilities and sell NOB.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

This would be humorous if it weren't so sadly misleading. What you are describing is the butchers covering SOME CHICKEN PARTS with a spicy concoction that is somewhat reddish. That is all and nothing more. Soriana and walmart buy their chickens from well known and regulated factory producers who also have facilities and sell NOB.

You have the same cardiologist that I do. Next time ask him. If you are super calvalier about your food choices, you can expect cascading health problems in your "golden years". Oh wait, rubs chin.

In the meantime here is an article I saved about food handling which might actually save lives.

https://www.consumerreports.org/food-safety/should-you-wash-raw-chicken/

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2019/s0221-chicken-salmonella-outbreak.html

34 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Maybe try searching in Spanish.

Why? Are there differences? I am being (fit your own word here) because I haven't compared my knowledge of NOB poultry against Mexican methods? And now we're all going to die young because of our cavalier attitude towards chicken.

10 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Why?

Because this is a Mexican practice. The big retailers also often use special lighting and red dye to make beef more appealing.

Most cultures, including Mexico, treat food like a medicine. Garbage in, garbage out.

An antibiotic resistant strain of Salmonella is a pretty serious development, don't you think.

By the way, I can see at least 6 food safety violations in that photo. This vendor would be closed immediately in the US or Canada. I don't know about Britain. I believe they still have a sanitary ban on US raised chickens and egg products.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/06/us-chlorinated-chicken-trade-deal-agriculture#top

It IS Mexico.

19 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Because this is a Mexican practice. The big retailers also often use special lighting and red dye to make beef more appealing.

Most cultures, including Mexico, treat food like a medicine. Garbage in, garbage out.

An antibiotic resistant strain of Salmonella is a pretty serious development, don't you think.

Please try not to obfuscate the issue by comparing this discussion to others. The two don't relate. I'm not even going to try and comment on "food like a medicine". And yes, please provide some sites that describe the yellowing of chicken in Mexico. All I can find is this BS marigold stuff and the caratinoids, which is well-known, applies to legs, and is not a "falsification" of the colour.

• Thanks 1

I have seen it with my own eyes. The meat workers brushing on color before placing chicken portions them on trays before plastic wrap and labelling. We have also often bought chicken which has gone rotten well before the best sale date. The wierdest was in Puerto Vallarta when we bought a medium size broiler, only to find another very small chicken stuffed in the body cavity, head and claws and all.

One thing, the OP never said where she lives, I live in Chapala and I know several great places to buy fresh chickens butchered in the mornings and locally raised.  Yes, chickens in Mexico tend to have yellow skin which is probably not acquired naturally.  But the locally raised chickens in the tienditas that specialize in pollo fresco are much less yellow in color than what you see in the large grocery stores.  With Wal-mart having the most unnaturally yellowish-red chickens of all.  Also, it is interesting to note that the local chickens sold in the pollo fresco stores or mercados tend to be bigger and heavier and more expensive than the smaller, less fresh ones sold at the big stores like Wal-mart and Soriana. But for the fresh taste, it is worth it in my opinion.  On a side note, always always smell a Wal-mart chicken before you buy it, they are notorious, locally, for selling off-smelling old chickens.  Talking from experience here.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Ah, the Gallic shrug, Justin Trudeau's father was brilliant at that.

He was, and I for one respected the hell out of him for that. But you'd have to look a little deeper to understand why.

The packaged chicken at WalMart is much yellower than their bulk stuff. 3 or 4 decades ago, the big Loblaw grocery chain in Canada started pushing yellower chicken, saying the colour indicated freer chickens with more natural fat.

Just watched an interesting program. People were given samples of  cakes from a "new cake shop"  One was priced at $19.99 and the other was priced at $59.99   One was round, and the cheaper was square.

90%+ said the cheap one was a bit dry and not so tasty but they agreed that the expensive one was more moist, the icing more creamy, and much richer flavor. 

They were made from the same mix, baked at the same time in the same oven, and the icing was the same.  After they were told they didn't believe it, said there was something different in the expensive cake, until the were shown the video of the cakes being made. 

Could the same be true with chicken??