Chapala.com Webboard

WHAT A MESS UPDATE

Monessen

For those who asked me for more information about what has happened I can report that a few more things are now in play. Today a burly, tall man appeared at the gate and spoke to  my Mexican partner and said that he was here and was going to take the TV. My TV is quite old so it is obviously not the one that they are looking for. I had heard the front gate bell so I went to a window to see what was going on. I could tell from the loud voices and gesturing that they were arguing. After about 10 minutes the gate was slammed shut but not before the man threw a piece of paper inside the gate. We had already gone to speak to the manager of the bank that made the loan and he suggested that we flag down a postal employee to return the bill as being sent to the wrong address. Sure, that worked! I reminded the bank that THEY were sending the bill to be collected so that they should contact the postal service. In any event, the postal service did nothing for me. The bank manager, in my opinion, was just too lazy to follow up on anything. It was all my fault as far as he was concerned. After today's episode it was off to the Ministerio Publico where a lawyer said that there was nothing that they could do unless a crime had been committed. Hmmm. Falsifying your National ID card, fraudulently obtaining a loan using someone else's address and submitting them to threats isn't a crime in Mexico? Now my Mexican partner was furious. He contacted a very connected Mexican lawyer in Guadalajara who he had gone to school with and he took the case. He was angry that everyone was passing the buck. We sent pictures of the person who got the loan and gave him her phone number (she won't answer the phone at this point) and also her daughter's phone number and where the daughter works. She is protecting her mother and her mother's information. The lawyer is "going over the heads" of the local people and is delivering some sort of legal papers to the bank manager. The lawyer said that this has been outrageous and that the local "powers that be" need to be held responsible for their inaction.  Well, we will see. So, the problem is moving on. Tomorrow we must visit the office in Jocotepec to get the ID card cancelled (they told us on the phone that it won't be cancelled until 2021). We hope to see if that can be expedited. I hope to have good news if this is updated again. 

• Sad 1

No legal expert here.  If it were me I would install a camera/doorbell/speaker system.  I would only open my door to friends or those invited. 

That may not solve the immediate problem, but it may avoid further escalation of the conflict and provide you more time to resolve the core issues.  Best of luck.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gringohombre said:

I don.t believe a word. I think that this is a "pitch piece" for an imaginary Mexican TV Novela.

Why should we believe that Novela bit?

3 hours ago, gringohombre said:

I don.t believe a word. I think that this is a "pitch piece" for an imaginary Mexican TV Novela.

Okay. That is an odd conclusion to come to but  accusing another poster of lying is attacking someone for no reason except your random thought. Ferret is correct. Anyone who  lives in Mexico and pays attention knows anything can happen and sooner or later does. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I believe the story, for now anyway.  When we first moved to Ajijic over ten years ago, we received a series of letters and phone calls (inherited phone number from previous owner) from a collection agency which was after a boyfriend of the woman who owned the place twice removed.  We ended up having to find the original debtor: HSBC,  and spend time with the bank manager before the harrassment ceased.  A real PITA. So yes, "stuff" happens here.

Suggestion:  We have one of those cameras connected to the doorbell which allows us to see who's there and communicate as well. Saves dealing with unwelcome visitors.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The poster is a close friend of mine.  There is no person more honest than him.   This story is true and he is so generous to share it with you.

I am sad to read your reaction/accusation ( fake story ), based on nothing.   If I were you, I would do the decent thing and apologize.

Rony

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

True or not, it does make a great story line for a Mexican TV Novela. Did you read Chapter 1...amazing! Now Chapter 2 is even more dramatic. In fact I am so impressed that I have started a GoFundMe page entitled TV Novela: The Gringo and his Mexican Partner and hope that this helps get the project off the ground. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

36 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

As the sayings go..."too good to be true" and "I was born at night, but not last night". Please, just re-read both Chapters 1 and 2 and make up your own mind. I have. 

I just re-read Chapters 1 and 2. I don't see it as "fake news", but if someone is looking for an excuse to be insulting, he/she can usually find one.   The question is why?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, gringohombre said:

As the sayings go..."too good to be true" and "I was born at night, but not last night". Please, just re-read both Chapters 1 and 2 and make up your own mind. I have. 

Elektra has their own bank now [since 2002] that loans money and sells things on credit and has a very long history of sending people to peoples' houses and repossess things they bought there and didn't finish paying for. Coppel, Elektra and Famsa are famous for this type of retail credit system. Coppel has their own bank also. Probably Famsa does also. These are their banks not just store credit cards.

Quite possibly the OP doesn't know the difference between these "banks" way of collection of payments and uses the generic term bank which is why you are suspicious of the story. A chartered bank [ Banorte, Bancomer, Scotiabank, Banamex ] doesn't send large guys in suits to repossess TVs, refrigerators, sofa sets. stoves, etc. These  "other banks" or stores have a very long history of doing exactly that once people stop paying.

"Banco Azteca [ Elektra ] is a financial institution that offers loans for the consumption of goods, personal loans, group loans through Micronegocio Azteca, pre-owned loans with Presta Prenda, credit cards and deposit options that generate interest from $ 1 peso and do not charge commissions, between others ..."

"Coppel, Elektra and FAMSA charge up to 177% interest: CONDUSEF

1 year ago

Bank or commercial credit cards such as Walmart, Coppel, Elektra, Famsa, Liverpool, can be so expensive that interest can almost triple the requested credit in one year, especially if it falls into default and charges are collected. default interests.

According to the percentages reported by the Condusef, the average interest rates of the 123 credit cards and consumer credit, is almost 61 percent, but some exceed 100 percent annually and reach up to 177 percent .

This means that a good acquired with this type of credit leaves the bank with profits up to 22 times greater than the amount financed, because the cost of money, which is reflected in the TIEE (Interbank Interbank Interest Rate) rates at 26 weeks, and the Bank Funding Rate have levels of 8.1961 and 7.82 percent, respectively.

The total real cost would mean that you could pay interest plus other expenses, that is, for the CAT, double your average current debt each year, that is, you would pay a peso with 80 cents for each balance weight."

https://palabrasclaras.mx/economia/coppel-elektra-y-famsa-cobran-hasta-el-177-por-intereses-condusef/amp/

40 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Are you kidding me? So you are not only insensitive, but incapable of understanding the most simple bits of speech as well. YOU are the fake news, buddy.

Fake news is in the eye of the beholder. buddy. There are many people who watch fake news channels and believe it. Like pointed out in the long post above, the OP apparently believed in FAKE NEWS that got him into this situation in the first place. 

Copel and the others I have felt sorry how poor Mexicans which wants stuff a frig. cellular etc, how they get ripped off. I have told friends not buy there save and buy for cash. I have even noticed the cash prices are over priced in these stores. 

I have one Mexican CC but always pay before due. 

1 hour ago, AlanMexicali said:

Elektra has their own bank now [since 2002] that loans money and sells things on credit and has a very long history of sending people to peoples' houses and repossess things they bought there and didn't finish paying for. Coppel, Elektra and Famsa are famous for this type of retail credit system. Coppel has their own bank also. Probably Famsa does also. These are their banks not just store credit cards.

Quite possibly the OP doesn't know the difference between these "banks" way of collection of payments and uses the generic term bank which is why you are suspicious of the story. A chartered bank [ Banorte, Bancomer, Scotiabank, Banamex ] doesn't send large guys in suits to repossess TVs, refrigerators, sofa sets. stoves, etc. These  "other banks" or stores have a vey long history of doing exactly that once people stop paying.

https://palabrasclaras.mx/economia/coppel-elektra-y-famsa-cobran-hasta-el-177-por-intereses-condusef/amp/

What a dumb, judgmental thing to say. Quite possibly he does know the difference. What is the matter with the people on this board. Never just accepting what someone has to say. Never just offering help. No, you drag out threads far beyond their limits with bullshit patronizing and speculation. You might as well be Fox "News".

Clearly, this is an intimidation technique, and it has been used many, many, many times before around here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

31 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

I would say that the last 2 posts represent the intelligent levels of those posters and  not the FAIR AND BALANCED opinions and statements of most of us here. 

If you were a man of words, which you are certainly not, you would be slightly proud that these words were first coined by Davey Crockett, in his own autobiography. It is not obscene, or rude in anyway. It is the way polite people swear. Now if I had written, "Stay away from him gurrrl. He is a big hot mess" in a what I call euphemistically might be called a queen' s English, not the Queen's English, possibly with a Southern twang, it would be more humorous, but also a higher level of offence.