Chapala.com Webboard

Refreshing Shaw

cedros

Today they installed an LNB on a Sky dish and connected up my 630 receiver. This receiver hasn't been used for 10 months and it says I need a refresh.

It has been quite awhile since I have done this and I can't remember the details of how to do it. I have my own Shaw account in Canada. I seem to recall I used Tunnelbear VPN and it was difficult.  I don't have Skype or Vonage. Could someone please tell me how to go about it? Ajijic Electronics told me that if Shaw asks I should tell them they put in a XKU LNB. Does that make sense  

37 minutes ago, sue said:

Just go online ans register your account with Shaw  you can have them do a refresh once you sign in. easy peasy

My account has been registered with Shaw for 11 years. To ask them online to do a refresh you need to use a VPN no?

7 minutes ago, Out1 said:

Go to shawdirect.ca; go to my shaw direct and login (you may need to register a username and account info etc); under manage devices click on refresh receiver.

A VPN is not required to do this.

Thanks. Are you certain? The installers today said I would have to use a VPN but they try to stay away from that part of Shaw and may  not know. I don't want to botch things up.

On 1/16/2020 at 9:02 PM, Out1 said:

I refreshed a receiver today; yes I have a VPN set to Texas.

If you can refresh from Texas then refreshing from Mexico should be no problem.

I tried what you said and it didn't work. I tried to refreshed 4 times and it said no more today.

I do this regularly and never had a problem.

If you were able to refresh 4 times then it is not a problem being in Mexico.

Check your signal strength at the receiver; I think it needs to be 85% or higher; or the receiver is not registered on your account.

Thanks again. Yesterday when the installation guy was here with the meter the signal strength of one was 85 the other was a bit less. It is a receiver that I have had for several years that was registered to my account. This morning I have a narrow horizontal blue strip om the screen that says "Unsupported video signal". Now that it is the next day should I try and do a refresh again?  I  wonder if I should get the installation guy out again.

I would turn the power off to the receiver and then back on; wait 5 minutes and try refreshing again. 

I have never seen the message "Unsupported video signal"; sorry I can't help you with that. You probably need the installer to address that problem.

The installer came again today and said be patient as Shaw seems to be having some problems. He said not to turn off the receiver so.... The installer thought maybe I owed Shaw money but I checked my bank account and Shaw took money out of my account January 6th.

On 1/16/2020 at 9:02 PM, Out1 said:

I refreshed a receiver today; yes I have a VPN set to Texas.

If you can refresh from Texas then refreshing from Mexico should be no problem.

Not for me I needed a VPN for Canada to refresh from Mexico. Shaw seems to be in chaos according to the facilitators. Many complaints and contradicting answers.

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2020 at 4:54 PM, sue said:

Just go online ans register your account with Shaw  you can have them do a refresh once you sign in. easy peasy

If you are not Canadian and have a direct account with Canada and a Canadian network ID  -  DO NOT CALL SHAW DIRECTLY. If you are Canadian and are using your own account then go fot it. 

Contact the person who hooked up your Shaw/Direct account in the first place and ask then what to do. 

I got mine working fine in January. The lady that did it for me said she had to use a VPN.

I still get the message "Unsupported video signal" once in a while and no picture. I never used to get that message. I just unplug the receiver far a bit and then things are fine.

11 hours ago, Gerry said:

Is this service legal in Mexico?

When I moved to Mexico it was Star Choice and we were allowed to have a receiver at our Cottage they did not care if your cottage was in Mexico I used to call Star Choice for help with a problem I always told them I was calling about my Mexican receivers. When Shaw bought out Star Choice they pretended to be unaware of the face that a bunch of us had cottages in Mexico I am sure it was on our records when Shaw bought Star Choice but now I only use my Canadian address when I call for service problems.

I remember very well, that on Feb 21, 2001, Star Choice activated the satellite, Anik F-1 and the signal from that bird reached us here in Mexico. I already had a Star Choice account on Vancouver Island and Star Choice was happy to  help me point my large Star Choice dish at the satellite from here in Mexico. And all of a sudden I had my home town stations from Seattle, Victoria and Vancouver in Mexico. Those were the good old days :)

Then the CRTC got involved and it was no longer OK for us to have a Star Choice Systems down here in Mexico, per Canadian, not Mexican regulations and/or laws.  And of course, none of us have Star Choice systems down here anymore :)