Chapala.com Webboard

Emanuel's Restaurant

gringal

Based on his menus, 80p for a bowl of soup (no idea how big) is excessive. In fact, I find 60p excessive. It's soup. However, since everyone seems to be charging that these days, what's a poor boy to do. Maybe the shrimp and mussel soup, but corn soup? Nah.

$180p for a tapa; a breaded croquette stuffed with goat cheese. I hope that's some whale-sized tapa. Same price for ratatouille, which to me is a side dish, not a tapa of any kind. $110 for a salad.

$160p at the fancy new burger place, for a hamburger with a mushroom instead of meat, is excessive. $220 for a burger with any kind of meat is ridiculous.

Decent prices used to top out at $129. Now $139-159 seems to be the standard. (Not talking about steak, although I am hard-pressed to find a steak around here worth the money anyway.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2020 at 6:40 AM, Kyle said:

Is the lunch menu the same as the evening menu?

No, he has a separate menu for lunch. Nachos, pastas, salads, soup of the day, fish of the day - smaller portions and a lower price. I love this place. He is such a talented young man who loves to cook and serves up beautiful plates of food visually. A group of us (8) were there last Friday and we all had a great experience. It was first time to go to lunch. I've been a regular dinner patron for a year or so. 

You get what you pay for at this restaurant. He's choices of proteins are interesting and well prepared and you are treated to a delightful evening or afternoon. It's a great place for a romantic dinner. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2020 at 2:55 PM, ComputerGuy said:

Based on his menus, 80p for a bowl of soup (no idea how big) is excessive. In fact, I find 60p excessive. It's soup. However, since everyone seems to be charging that these days, what's a poor boy to do. Maybe the shrimp and mussel soup, but corn soup? Nah.

$180p for a tapa; a breaded croquette stuffed with goat cheese. I hope that's some whale-sized tapa. Same price for ratatouille, which to me is a side dish, not a tapa of any kind. $110 for a salad.

$160p at the fancy new burger place, for a hamburger with a mushroom instead of meat, is excessive. $220 for a burger with any kind of meat is ridiculous.

Decent prices used to top out at $129. Now $139-159 seems to be the standard. (Not talking about steak, although I am hard-pressed to find a steak around here worth the money anyway.)

Where did you find the metric for expensive or cheap or decent? I did google “metric for food prices in Ajijic” didn’t find anything... 

Perhaps it would be better to say that “YOU THINK” it is expensive... for some people is not about the price, is about the experience... so, don’t look for restaurants cause you will always be disappointed when “YOU THINK” is expensive or it is our of “YOUR BUDGET”, just find the restaurants that have the prices you like and talk good things about those instead of complaining about the ones you can’t afford or the ones that have the prices that you don’t want to pay...

Wouldn’t you be happier if you did that? 😄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

8 hours ago, Alex S said:

Where did you find the metric for expensive or cheap or decent? I did google “metric for food prices in Ajijic” didn’t find anything... 

Perhaps it would be better to say that “YOU THINK” it is expensive... for some people is not about the price, is about the experience... so, don’t look for restaurants cause you will always be disappointed when “YOU THINK” is expensive or it is our of “YOUR BUDGET”, just find the restaurants that have the prices you like and talk good things about those instead of complaining about the ones you can’t afford or the ones that have the prices that you don’t want to pay...

In fairness to CG, he cited actual prices on actual menu items which gives the reader info they can use to make their own decision of whether they are cheap or expensive.  Too many reviews just say, "oh we hated it," or "oh, we loved it" with no details as to what they ate or the cost.  Cost is a factor for many when going out to eat.  Restaurant reviews in newspapers or online always cite specific dishes and their costs, as well as giving a price range for the restaurant as a whole.

I hope CG continues his reviews.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday we received, from our bank, on a wire transfer, an exchange rate of 23.75 pesos to the USD.  Do the math and be thankful and realistic about where you are:  80 pesos = $3.36USD;  60 pesos = $2.52; 180 pesos = 7.57USD;  and so on and on and on:   129 pesos = $5.43US    A Big Mac meal average price in the U.S. is $5.99 plus the relevant state tax.  Sometimes (or often) long timers here have, over time, completely lost their sense of reality.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Carnivore said:

Yesterday we received, from our bank, on a wire transfer, an exchange rate of 23.75 pesos to the USD.  Do the math and be thankful and realistic about where you are:  80 pesos = $3.36USD;  60 pesos = $2.52; 180 pesos = 7.57USD;  and so on and on and on:   129 pesos = $5.43US    A Big Mac meal average price in the U.S. is $5.99 plus the relevant state tax.  Sometimes (or often) long timers here have, over time, completely lost their sense of reality.

In reality, the vast majority of the population WHERE WE ARE LIVING earns and spends in pesos. It does not matter one bit how much a Big Mac costs in ANOTHER COUNTRY. I think and spend in pesos — you know, the currency of the country in which I live. You may have plenty of DOLLARS to throw around and good for you. But you are not the majority here and contrary to what some foreigners think this is not a Disneyland created and run for your entertainment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Gosh, I just checked the average US/Mx spot rate and it has really changed

Today Saturday, March 21, 2020 the average US Dollar exchange rate in Mexico is 1 Dollar = 23.8896 Pesos

Like you said this does not apply to those who earn pesos.

I sure will be glad when everything goes back to normal, especially when it comes to the latest virus.

Thanks ComputerGuy for the cost analysis.  I have ate at restaurants which did not have a price on the menu but not since I retired.  Cost and quality of meal is important to us and we are not going to go to a restaurant with high prices when there there are plenty of good restaurants Lakeside which charge reasonable prices.  We usually eat out twice a day so price can become very important. I have found high prices don't always mean the best meals.  In fact some of the highest prices I have paid here were for mediocre meals.

• Like 1

Two companions and I ate at Emmanuel's Kitchen in early March.  The meal was pretentious, uninformed, poorly prepared, and overpriced.  The service was attentive to the point of intrusive.  The wine we chose was delicious.  At the end of our meal, the chef came to our table to boast about his skills..  At no time did he ask if we had enjoyed our meal.  I wouldn't choose to go back again.

While in Ajijic, I also ate at Teocintle Maíz (twice).  The meals were extraordinary, the plating was beautiful, and the service was excellent.
https://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2020/03/teocintle-maíz-best-restaurant-in-ajijic-jalisco-mexico-.html 

I had breakfast with a friend at Mom's, where I had never been before.  I ordered eggs, biscuits, and sausage gravy.  The eggs were fine, the biscuits were okay, although different from any I had ever eaten previously, and the gravy was extremely salty.  I'm quite a salt fan, so for me to say that is really saying something.

Other friends and I had an excellent meal at Marisco's Peter, on the lake side of the carretera between Ajijic and Jocotepec.  My shrimp cocktail (medium size) was wonderful, loaded with shrimp and not sweet with catsup as so many are.  Each of us ordered different things to start the meal.  In addition, we ordered a big fish (prepared zarandeado) to share; it was wonderful and we ate every last bit of it.  The cost was minimal compared to the number of people who ate and the amount of food and drink we inhaled.  

• Like 1