Chapala.com Webboard

Voter card/INE

Taaffe

Haven´t looked lately, but just google INE, and they will give you a list of requirements.  At least they do for Mexicans and I´m sure for naturalized foreigners as well. One thing that would be different is that Mexicans must have an "Acta de Nacimiento" or Mexican birth certificate which foreigners would not be able to supply.  The rest is the usual......CURP letter, comprobante de domicilio  ID´s ,  probably all your paperwork to become naturalized, etc. and a copy of everything.  If you live in the Municipio of Chapala, you go to the INE office in Jocotepec.

Can't have too many pointers for someone trying to get a voter card.

I can't remember if IFE/INE wanted the 8.5x14 naturalization document in the original size or shrunk to 8 1/2x11. I know it had to be B&W and both sides needed to be copied onto a single page mimicking the original. When you get the original copied, have them make both sizes so you're covered.

I have been told that there is one lady in the office who really dislikes naturalized foreigners getting a voting card and gives those people a hard time, always finding some little detail to scuttle the process. If that happens and you get sent away for something trivial, avoid her on your return even if you have to allow the person behind you on the number board to go ahead of you.

4 hours ago, slainte39 said:

I have been told that there is one lady in the office who really dislikes naturalized foreigners getting a voting card and gives those people a hard time, always finding some little detail to scuttle the process. If that happens and you get sent away for something trivial, avoid her on your return even if you have to allow the person behind you on the number board to go ahead of you.

When we went to INE to get my husband's INE card, they were all smiles. Congratulated him and shook his hand.  Every time we tell someone that he is now a Mexican, they are very pleased.  Never experienced what you have described.  

21 minutes ago, ibarra said:

When we went to INE to get my husband's INE card, they were all smiles. Congratulated him and shook his hand.  Every time we tell someone that he is now a Mexican, they are very pleased.  Never experienced what you have described.  

This was just before Christmas, but when the person went back and got a different handler it was as you say, "all smiles".

20 minutes ago, Taaffe said:

On the website they say you need an appointment (there’s a form like for passport appointments). 

Is this new or can you just walk in?

Either way, the appointments run pretty close to schedule or just walk in and work your way up that line.  Whichever way you do it, there will probably be a 30 minute to 1 hour wait before being attended to.

I had to wait approx 2 weeks--I was given a paper with the date to return to pick up my card and a "file number". There's also a phone number to call a day or two before in case the card is ready.

Of all the government office experiences, my INE was the easiest and most efficient. Appointment had to be made online, and they were booked 30 days out but this was a year ago.

• Like 1