Chapala.com Webboard

Requirements for Residente Temporal visas for USA married couple

MickeyO

What are the income requirements for a married couple from the USA applying for Residente Temporal (RT) visas in Mexico? My wife has enough pension to qualify for an RT as an individual, but my social security is not enough for me to qualify as an individual. Is the requirement for a married couple from the USA less than twice the requirement for two individuals? Also, is there a minimum amount of time the couple has to be married before applying at a consulate in the States for their RTs?

30 minutes ago, ibarra said:

Look at the post at the top of this page from Spencer.  I believe you will find answers there.

Except Intercasa/Spencer hasn't posted for 2020 yet so there may have been changes. MikeyO I sent you some links on the other web board.

• Like 1

I think you will find that the consulate will advise you that residence visa requirements are for individuals. However, if one can qualify, the partner can enter as a tourist and apply in Mexico, after the first person has the visa card, under vincula familiar rules, for equal immigration status.

All consulate web sites are down and have been for 4 days. All of the Canadian consulates have raised their requirements 20% in keeping with the change in minimum wage. My web site has the requirements based on the law. Now I am waiting to see what the MX consulates do in the US. As to spousal amounts some consulates want the same full amount for both and others offer a reduction. There is no consistency.

You may have to wait until consulate web sites are up again or contact them. I suspect maybe they will be standardized. Then again maube that is wishing for too much.:-)

soniadiaz.mx

• Like 1

I think I've got it: first try to get both RT visa applications accepted and approved at a lenient consulate the States. If only one gets approved, then the other spouse enters with an FMM for 180 days, and after the first spouse gets the final RT card in Mexico the other spouse applies in Mexico to be sponsored by the spouse with the RT. Thanks everyone for your responses.

• Like 2