Chapala.com Webboard

Elegante

Mainecoons

Found an older thread about this place but nothing recent.  What's the consensus view on it?  My wife wants to go there for our 40th wedding anniversary.

Yes, I know it is a bit pricey.  Special occasion.  What I want to know is your experiences with it more recently.

30 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Found an older thread about this place but nothing recent.  What's the consensus view on it?  My wife wants to go there for our 40th wedding anniversary.

Yes, I know it is a bit pricey.  Special occasion.  What I want to know is your experiences with it more recently.

Moderator 2 ought to step in and stop this thread before you get into trouble listening to someone else other than your wife.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

40 minutes ago, kam said:

It is usually nearly full when we have gone. Could it be those folks don't follow this board???😱

No. Those folks have the discretionary income to buy expensive meals out and/or the ego to eat at the most expensive restaurants in the area. I have not yet eaten there because it does not fit my budget. Like Mainecoons I may try it for a special occasion, but no matter how delicious the food and great the service (which it should be for those prices) it will never be a regular dining spot for me.  Unlike you, I can not afford it. 

1 hour ago, kam said:

It is usually nearly full when we have gone. Could it be those folks don't follow this board???😱

I dunno but thanks, you were the only one who actually responded to the request for referrals.  My wife thought she'd like to go there but doesn't know anything about it and neither of us like going into an expensive restaurant and finding it mediocre and overpriced.  Been there, done that.

3 hours ago, Xena said:

No. Those folks have the discretionary income to buy expensive meals out and/or the ego to eat at the most expensive restaurants in the area. I have not yet eaten there because it does not fit my budget. Like Mainecoons I may try it for a special occasion, but no matter how delicious the food and great the service (which it should be for those prices) it will never be a regular dining spot for me.  Unlike you, I can not afford it. 

And there are people like me that food (or ambiance or service) can only rise to a certain level of satisfaction and anything beyond that is a waste of money.  Why go for champagne and caviar when you are just as happy and satisfied with a beer and a hamburger. Food is one of the least important endeavors in my day. Knowledge…..no limit to my gluttony.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Xena said:

Oh heavens, we cannot afford it on anythng other than a special occasion, I have neither the discretionary income nor the ego you assume I have. We have had a few occasions that we enjoyed at Elegante.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, kam said:

Oh heavens, we cannot afford it on anythng other than a special occasion, I have neither the discretionary income nor the ego you assume I have. We have had a few occasions that we enjoyed at Elegante.  

I’m sorry you took it personally. I was referring to the crowds of people that fill the restaurant. They can not all be special occasion folks. I did not mean you personally anymore than you were referring to previous posters here when you commented, “It is usually nearly full when we have gone. Could it be those folks don't follow this board???😱).” I knew you had not made assumptions about previous posters not going to the restaurant  because of comments on this web board. 

• Sad 1

Whenever I have been there it has been pretty empty. They do have a special menu which I order from but it has gone up to 300 pesos. It is a full course dinner, but one always has a drink or two with the meal and that brings the bill up.  I know some will say $15. US is not much but for me it is and as I said, plus any drinks and then a tip, too much. The food is good, but I really do not think the restaurant is anything out of the ordinary. YMMD

The special menu with several choices is probably one of the better deals lakeside . Its three courses for 300 pesos ! , one cannot eat at Tangos for that price . I find the menu a little boring ,  I cannot understand any  restaurant  lakeside who’s only fish offering is “ frozen salmon “ when we have such a wonderful selection of fresh fish available. The service and surroundings however make for a pleasant dinner experience.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 10:01 PM, Ian Greenwood said:

The special menu with several choices is probably one of the better deals lakeside .

Yes.

I find the menu a little boring

Yes.

The service and surroundings however make for a pleasant dinner experience.

And yes.

Agree completely. I've eaten at Elegante a couple times recently. They serve high quality, well-prepared food, but the menu isn't very interesting. Emmanuel's has, I think, more interesting and "better" food. But I also agree with the others,  if the wife wants Elegante then the OP would be a fool not to take her there on their 40th Anniversary.