Chapala.com Webboard

INSABI replaces Seguro Popular + alternative, affordable medical facilities in Guadalajara

Rony

I have read about a dozen very recent Mexican newspaper articles on this subject, and here is what I understand ( everything with a grain of salt, because uncertainty still rules ) :

- Seguro Popular members: their policy ended on Dec. 31st, 2019

- You dont have to enroll in INSABI: every time you need healthcare/medication ( at certain not yet specified institutes...most likely former Seguro Popular ), you simply show ID and CURP number or birth certificate.  Healthcare/medication are supposed to be without costs to the patient

- You cant combine INSABI with other insurances and it is also open to foreigners REGARDLESS their immigration status ( for anybody on Mexican territory ).

- nothing yet on IMSS merging with INSABI

- the next months: transition period with uncertainty on rules of this new institution

Rony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Here is a list of other medical facilities in Guadalajara ( keep reading to the bottom of this post ) :

As far as GUADALAJARA HOSPITALS.... here are 2 less expensive and fair alternatives to the luxury hospitals: 
Both run by nuns :

1) SAGRADO CORAZON
Antonio Rosales 204   colonia Analco cp 44450
Tel 36172524
info@hospitaldelsagradocorazon.com
( several friends went there for surgery.... not more than a few 10 000 pesos, and very satisfied )

2) LA SANTISIMA TRINIDAD
street = Miguel Blanco 1225 ( centro )

HOSPITAL  DEL PILAR on Hidalgo, near Plaza Mexico, is also a very nice, less expensive hospital as well.

An alternative to Hospital Civil is :
ZOQUIPAN HOSPITAL
Av. Zoquipan 1050
Zoquipan
Zapopan 45170
Tel 30306300 - 30306339

For eye problems, also google : Santa Lucía Clínica Oftalmológica

For low income people with eye problems, there is a special ophtamology foundation : Fundación Oftalmológica para Personas de Escasos Recursos
Av. de las Américas 254, Ladrón de Guevara, Ladron De Guevara, 44600 Guadalajara

Also check out SALUD DIGNA, where they do all kinds of medical tests ( such as Electrocardiagrams,.... ) at a much lower price ( they also have a subsidiary on Av Alcalde.... for glasses ).

One of the leading institutes to have all kinds of medical tests done is : LABORATORIO TOLSA.   They do following tests :
Análisis clínicos:

✔ Hematología y coagulación
✔ Química clínica y hormonas
✔ Inmunología
✔ Bacteriología
✔ Citohistopalogía
✔ Parasitología
✔ Urianálisis
✔ Estudios especiales
✔ Digitalización y almacenamiento

icono Imagenología

Imagenología:

✔ Ultrasonido
✔ Ultrasonido 3D Y 4D
✔ Doppler 3D,4D
✔ Resonancia magnética
✔ Tomografía axial
✔ Densitometría cadera, columna y cuerpo completo
✔ Radiología contrastada
✔ Rayos X digital
✔ Mastografía (dosis mínima de radiación que existe)
✔ Digitalización y almacenamiento

icono Cardiología

Cardiología:

✔ Electrocardiografía
✔ Ecocardiograma con dobutamina
✔ Electrocardiograma con prueba de esfuerzo en banda sin fin
✔ Mapa (monitoreo ambulatorio de presión arterial)
✔ Prueba de embarazo
✔ Valoración cardiológica
✔ Monitoreo Holter 24 hrs.

icono Neurología

Neurología:

✔Electroencefalograma
✔ Mapeo cerebral
✔ Potenciales evocados
✔ Electromiografía y electrodiagnóstico

icono area dental

Área dental:

✔ Tomografía 3D
✔ Radiología digital 2D
✔ Fotografía clínica
✔Modelos de estudio

icono Sedación

Sedación:

✔ Niños y adultos

icono Gastroenterología

Gastroenterología:

✔ Endoscopía
✔ Colonoscopía

medicina industrial

Medicina industrial:

✔ Audiometría
✔ Espirometría

icono medicina nuclear

Medicina nuclear:

✔ Gammagrama
✔Terapia con radioisotopos

FOR SKIN PROBLEMS : INSTITUTO DERMATOLOGICO DE JALISCO 

Av. Federalismo Norte #3102, 45190 Zapopan

33 3660 0001

http://www.dermatologico.org/

Instituto de alta especialidad en dermatología, dependiente de la secretaría de Salud Jalisco

For CANCER TREATMENT:
 INSTITUTO DE CANCEROLOGIA DE JALISCO
Coronel Calderon 715, El Retiro, 44280 Guadalajara, Jal.   ---> I personally know of 3 people, who are very happy with the treatment there ( affordable ! )
http://www.ijc.gob.mx/

Another medical facility to check out is :
SERVICIOS DE SALUD ZAPOPAN: a large hospital that gives discounts to patients with limited financial resources --->
https://ssmz.gob.mx

After almost 15 years of seeing vets and ANIMAL HOSPITALS in Guadalajara and Lakeside, I finally found the " top ".  
VETERINARIA ARBOLEDAS ( animal hospital )
Av Cruz del Sur 2909, Bosques de La Victoria, 44540 Guadalajara
33 3623 0261
Dr Baron comes very highly recommended by MANY.  They have all the equipment ( like ultrasound equipment ) and are open 24 hours.   Their prices are very reasonable, and it really sometimes pays off ( for the animal and your wallet ) to simply take a car or taxi to get there.
Very recently, I went there with my dog and they did X Rays + ultrasound + the consultation for only 1050 pesos in total.  And Dr Baron knows his stuff !  Unlike most vets, he knows about the benefits of CBD oil for pets, something still quite new for animals...and for vets.
In an emergency ( or something more serious ) day or night, I know where to go.
A 2nd well known and highly recommended vet is Dr Israel of ANIMAL KINGDOM HOSPITAL ( contact info on Facebook )

If later on, I will get more details on all the above, I will post it my Facebook page.

Happy New Year !!

Rony

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

59 minutes ago, barcelonaman said:

Thanks rony. Im another satisfied cancer suffer getting treatment at the instituto. 

VERY happy for you !  This institute is only one block from where I live now.

A Mexican friend, with cancer, gave up her IMSS ( where they couldnt see her for the next following 6 months ), sothat ( through Seguro Popular at that time ) at this institute they could help her a lot sooner.   That was about 7 years ago.   She is also doing fine now... and VERY affordable.

I hope that this institute will also be part of INSABI.

Good luck !!

Rony

4 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

While I have this link live, John Pint, look up hospital caregivers story. http://www.ranchopint.com This is what Rony is all about. Sorry, no direct link, but a great website to explore nevertheless.

Very interesting post. Yes, those 24 hours cuidadores must save a lot of lifes.

I've read quite a bit about INSABI and in all instances, I've read the following, which would (IMHO) indicate that one must be a Mexican citizen in order to be attended. 

"Como parte de las acciones de transformación del sistema de salud pública que implementa el gobierno federal para garantizar atención médica y medicamentos gratuitos a toda la población, a partir del primero de enero de 2020, los beneficiarios del Insabi solo deberán presentar su credencial del INE, la Clave Única de Registro de Población (CURP) o su acta de nacimiento para recibir los servicios públicos de salud."

The above sentence translates to: "As part of the actions of transforming the federal government's public health system in order to guarantee medical attention and free medicine to the entire population, starting on the first of January 2020, the beneficiaries of Insabi need only present their INE CREDENCIAL, the Clave Única de Registro de Población, or their birth certificate to receive the services of public health."

This announcement, also IMHO, is confusing in that one might read it to believe that one can also show only the CURP to be allowed free medical care and medicines.  The language of this announcement is such that there is no 'or' after the INE mention, but there IS an 'or' after the mention of the CURP (before the mention of the birth certificate).  The announcement also says that "the whole population" is entitled to free medical attention, but again IMHO there's no indication that the foreign population is included.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, More Liana said:

I've read quite a bit about INSABI and in all instances, I've read the following, which would (IMHO) indicate that one must be a Mexican citizen in order to be attended. 

"Como parte de las acciones de transformación del sistema de salud pública que implementa el gobierno federal para garantizar atención médica y medicamentos gratuitos a toda la población, a partir del primero de enero de 2020, los beneficiarios del Insabi solo deberán presentar su credencial del INE, la Clave Única de Registro de Población (CURP) o su acta de nacimiento para recibir los servicios públicos de salud."

The above sentence translates to: "As part of the actions of transforming the federal government's public health system in order to guarantee medical attention and free medicine to the entire population, starting on the first of January 2020, the beneficiaries of Insabi need only present their INE CREDENCIAL, the Clave Única de Registro de Población, or their birth certificate to receive the services of public health."

This announcement, also IMHO, is confusing in that one might read it to believe that one can also show only the CURP to be allowed free medical care and medicines.  The language of this announcement is such that there is no 'or' after the INE mention, but there IS an 'or' after the mention of the CURP (before the mention of the birth certificate).  The announcement also says that "the whole population" is entitled to free medical attention, but again IMHO there's no indication that the foreign population is included.

From EL PROCESO ( and many other sources ) :

"La minuta aprobada por la Cámara de Diputados establece que el INSABI tendrá como fin garantizar servicios de salud gratuitos y medicamentos a las personas que carezcan de seguridad social en territorio mexicano, aun si son extranjeros."

just google "extranjeros INSABI".

Often, the following is added: " regardless their migratory status "

• Thanks 1

Rony is correct

For Mexicans the INE (national institute of elections) card is the official ID. Thus it is on the list of necessary documents.

Take a breath ...relax..we are in Mexico. Give the system time to get all the changes published.

The Seguro Popular website hasn't even been changed yet and still tells you how to sign up.

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

Rony, have you ever seen one of those chair beds for sale? If I, or my spouse, ever have to return to hospital I would like to buy a new, plastic wrapped one for use in the hospital and then donate it to them whenever it is no longer required.

I saw it in the post.

No.  It would be a handy thing to have.  I know a nurse at Hospital civil.  I will ask him.

19 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

It's hard to figure out what is going on. Our maid's husband has a treatable cancer yet was told by SP they don't treat cancer. This is a relatively young man with a family, not a geriatric.  

Tell  them to go to the cancer institute in Guadalajara Hospital only for cancer. Most cancer are treated free

2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Rony is correct

For Mexicans the INE (national institute of elections) card is the official ID. Thus it is on the list of necessary documents.

Take a breath ...relax..we are in Mexico. Give the system time to get all the changes published.

The Seguro Popular website hasn't even been changed yet and still tells you how to sign up.

Google Translation:
MIGRATION LAW New Law published in the Official Gazette of the Federation on May 25, 2011 CURRENT TEXT Last reform published 04-21-2016 On the margin a seal with the National Shield, which says: United Mexican States.- Presidency of the Republic. FELIPE DE JESÚS CALDERÓN HINOJOSA, President of the United Mexican States, its inhabitants know: That the Honorable Congress of the Union, has served to address the following: "SECOND TITLE RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS OF MIGRANTS SINGLE CHAPTER RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS Article 6. The Mexican State shall guarantee the exercise of the rights and freedoms of foreigners recognized in the Constitution, in international treaties and conventions to which the Mexican State is a party and in the applicable legal provisions, regardless of their immigration status. Page 5 of 49 Article 7. The freedom of every person to enter, remain, transit and leave the national territory shall have the limitations established in the Constitution, international treaties and conventions to which the Mexican State is a party, this Law and other applicable legal provisions. Free transit is a right of every person and it is the duty of any authority to promote and respect it. No person will be required to prove their nationality and immigration status in the national territory, more than by the competent authority in the cases and under the circumstances established in this Law. Article 8. Migrants may access the educational services provided by the public and private sectors, regardless of their immigration status and in accordance with the applicable legal and regulatory provisions. Migrants will have the right to receive any type of medical care, provided by the public and private sectors, regardless of their [legal] immigration status, in accordance with the applicable legal and regulatory provisions. Migrants, regardless of their immigration status, will have the right to receive, free of charge and without restriction, any kind of urgent medical care that is necessary to preserve their life. In the provision of educational and medical services, no administrative act will establish restrictions greater than those generally established for Mexicans. Article 9. Judges or officers of the Civil Registry may not deny migrants, regardless of their immigration status, the authorization of the acts of marital status or the issuance of certificates relating to birth, recognition of children, marriage, divorce and death . Article 10. The Mexican State shall guarantee migrants who intend to enter the country on a regular basis or who reside in national territory with a regular immigration status, as well as those who intend to regularize their immigration status in the country, the right to the preservation of family unit. Article 11. In any case, regardless of their immigration status, migrants will have the right to the procurement and delivery of justice, respecting at all times the right to due process, as well as to submit complaints regarding human rights, in accordance with the provisions contained in the Constitution and other applicable laws. In the procedures applicable to migrant children and adolescents, their age will be taken into account and their best interests will be privileged. Article 12. Migrants, regardless of their immigration status, will have the right to recognition of their legal personality, in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution and international treaties and conventions to which the Mexican State is a party. Article 13. Migrants and their families who are in the territory of the United Mexican States shall have the right to be provided information about:
I. Your rights and obligations, in accordance with current legislation; II. The requirements established by the applicable legislation for..."

Also federal anti-discrimination law and the Secretaria de Salud federal law prohibits discrimination by any federal, state or local government of  foreign legal residents to join socialized medicine institues who follow the rules to affilate with one of them.

Alan you continue to make me chuckle when you post the official status on a particular subject and assume that it happen's..............my dear friend  "the law" is subject to interpretation or  rather "read mordia". Time and time again we read of different people having different experience's and the only consistent thing about living in Mexico is the inconsistencies  we experience 

10 hours ago, Rony said:

From EL PROCESO ( and many other sources ) :

"La minuta aprobada por la Cámara de Diputados establece que el INSABI tendrá como fin garantizar servicios de salud gratuitos y medicamentos a las personas que carezcan de seguridad social en territorio mexicano, aun si son extranjeros."

just google "extranjeros INSABI".

Often, the following is added: " regardless their migratory status "

"10 hours ago, Rony said:

From THE PROCESS (and many other sources):

Google Translation:

"The minutes approved by the Chamber of Deputies establish that INSABI will have the purpose of guaranteeing free health services and medicines to people who lack social security in Mexican territory, even if they are foreigners."

The minutes you quoted above were approved by a vote in the Congress on Nov. 14th. among others related to INBASI but it is not in the INSABI institute's affiliation requirements. Therefore no legal foreign residents can join this newly formed [renaming of the Seguro Popular obviously] socialized medicine institute it appears. You need to be a Mexican citizen with a valid INE card to use their services and not be affiliated with any other Mexican socialized medicine institute.

https://www.gob.mx/salud/prensa/a-partir-del-1-de-enero-insabi-ofrece-atencion-medica-gratuita-y-sin-restricciones

Google Translation:

"Home:

Secretary of Health Press

336. From the 1st. January, Insabi offers free and unrestricted medical care

The beneficiaries must only present the INE credential, CURP or birth certificate.

It should be remembered that INSABI starts functions on January 1, 2020 as a decentralized body of the Secretary of Health and the services it will offer will be under criteria of universality, equality and inclusion.

The beneficiaries must only present the INE credential, CURP or birth certificate.

Author:   Secretary of Health Publication Date December 30, 2019 National Category:

With the entry into official status of the Institute of Health for Wellbeing (Insabi) people without social security [IMSS] will receive free medical care and medicines without restrictions, as they will no longer need to join or pay fees.

As part of the transformation actions of the public health system that the federal government implements to guarantee free medical care and medicines to the entire population, as of January 1, 2020, Insabi beneficiaries must only present their INE credential, the Unique Population Registration Code (CURP) or your birth certificate to receive public health services.

Those who have an affiliation policy will no longer need to present it because that document is without effect as of January 1 [all Seguro Popular contracts will be invalid ], since the care will be offered without restrictions.

Article 77 bis 7 of the General Health Law, whose recent modification was published in the Official Gazette of the Federation on November 29, states that in order to receive the free provision of health services, medications and other supplies, only three requirements

The first is to be in national territory. Second, not be a right holder in IMSS or Issste; and the third, submit the CURP, which is in the INE credential or, where appropriate, a birth certificate.

Health for Wellbeing (Insabi); people without social security [IMSS] will receive free medical care and medicines without restrictions, as they will no longer need to join or pay fees.

Therefore, they will no longer need to go to a module, join and receive a policy; nor will they have to pay annual fees to be treated in the medical units as was the case before."

• Confused 1

Something wrong then.

I have had treatment there for 18 months, and continuing.

I had to pay for infusor appx, 800 pesos, emend tablets appx 2000 pesos ,optional, acido foliatico 2000 pesos, twice a month.

The actual chemo was always free.

This was for appx a year.

From July all items were available for free.in december i started with new treatment tablets to take at home. Cost 7000 pesos. Free under s.p.

I would get your friend to check, its not expensive even when some items arent available.

Same here.  My Mexican friend pays almost nothing. ( we are talking about the instituto de cancerologia de Jalisco )

And from yesterday s article in noticiasgdl.com :

El INSABI, que tendrá un director y una junta de gobierno, pretendía homogeneizar la atención médica universal, sin distinción de organismos, de manera que los antiguos derechohabientes del seguro popular, que recibían atención en nosocomios tanto estatales como federales, ahora, en teoría, podrán acceder al IMSS o ISSSTE sin ser derechohabientes, tan sólo con su CURP.

As I said....a lot of uncertainty still....

1 hour ago, Rony said:

And from yesterday s article in noticiasgdl.com :

El INSABI, que tendrá un director y una junta de gobierno, pretendía homogeneizar la atención médica universal, sin distinción de organismos, de manera que los antiguos derechohabientes del seguro popular, que recibían atención en nosocomios tanto estatales como federales, ahora, en teoría, podrán acceder al IMSS o ISSSTE sin ser derechohabientes, tan sólo con su CURP.

As I said....a lot of uncertainty still....

The webpage I linked to is the new Secretaria de Salud Law published in the  "Diario Oficial" = Mexican Law Ledger making it a law not a rule or policy. There is no uncertainty as to what a person needs - to be - to use the new ISBASI - old Seguro Popular - socialized medicine institute. You need to be a Mexican citizen. Even spouses of Mexican citizens with legal resident visa/cards can not use INBASI. Their children can, if they have any, by using a birth certificate to get service.

"El artículo 77 bis 7 de la Ley General de Salud, cuya reciente modificación fue publicada en el Diario Oficial de la Federación el 29 de noviembre,..."

Google Translation:

"Article 77 bis 7 of the General Health Law, whose recent modification was published in the Official Gazette of the Federation on November 29,..."

If this turns out to official policy, I will fast track my Mexican citizenship quest. I will also be writing to Canadian public health care providers, telling them they should no longer provide free health care to Mexican visitors, tourists, students or temporary workers of which there are a great many right now. The principle is called reciprocity, and is extremely important in international relations.

Once the bureaucrats and lawyers get a hold of it, it may end up very different. Seguro Popular makes a very big deal about their "social contract" with valid Mexican residents, plastering their walls with posters reminding people of this transparent agreement. Now to seemingly rip up 59,000,000 in place agreements does not seem doable to me.