Chapala.com Webboard

Do you have a Schatzki ring?

bdmowers

If you do, are you willing to share how life is with it, or what you have done to cope with it, including medical procedures?  Thanks.

schatzki ring is associated with hiatial hernia. I have a great book about it by Dr. T. Baroody that describes this problem and self help solutions. Another tip was drinking tumeric milk 2=3 times a day to reduce inflamation. I had a friend who couldn't eat rice, which she loves ,because it would get "stuck" there. She had the surgery, so I'll ask her what her experience was....

• 9 months later...
On 12/26/2019 at 4:35 PM, Curmudgeon said:

I've had that for over 30 years. I've found that as long as I eliminate acid reflux, it doesn't bother me. For me, that's taking Omeprazole every morning. YMMV

How is it taking that every day?  Do you experience any  bad side effects?

22 hours ago, bdmowers said:

How is it taking that every day?  Do you experience any  bad side effects?

I haven't experienced any side effects that I know of. I read that taking Omeprazole could cause problems so I quit for a week and was miserable. I talked to my Dr and he said not to worry.

7 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

I haven't experienced any side effects that I know of. I read that taking Omeprazole could cause problems so I quit for a week and was miserable. I talked to my Dr and he said not to worry.

I believe Omeprazole is taken to counter acid reflux/indigestion which affects the esophagus internally.  Shatzki´s Ring is external to the esophagus.  So I´m not sure if Omeprazole would affect Shatzki´s ring.  But I certainly do not have a complete understanding of the two situations.  Do you have information that would shed a light on this from what your doctor has told you?

Yes hiatal hernias and I go way too far back as well, but when I saw the following topic heading:    Do you have a Schatzki ring? I did not think medical I thought maybe the question was about jewelry or something to do with perhaps a dog or pet called Schatzy. Boy was I wrong. :) (once I read that posted below the  topic heading, I learned how wrong I was.)

I noticed several commenting about Omeprazole. And how one of the persons posting here and the instructions on my Omeprazole state that one should take only one 20mg pill per day, usually for not more than 14 days at a time. Well guess what?  My Doc, now has me on two per day, one in the morning and one in the evening, and I have been taking these pills not for more than 14 days in a row at a time, but for more than 2 years, as of today. And have no plans to quit doing so, unless my Doc tells me to. I might add that when we first tried one pill per day, I would still have less but some acid reflux but on two pills per day, NO acid reflux

I feel like a fool taking two pills per day. But everything is cool and I no longer have any acid reflux now that I'm on two 20mg Omeprazole pills per day.  Am I crazy? :) 

• Haha 1

On 12/26/2019 at 4:35 PM, Curmudgeon said:

I've had that for over 30 years. I've found that as long as I eliminate acid reflux, it doesn't bother me. For me, that's taking Omeprazole every morning. YMMV

As I said almost a year ago, Omeprazole keeps the problem under control for me. Bdmowers seems to have the opinion that it can't work. All I can say is that if I don't take it, the symptoms come back. 

As I said, YMMV.

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2019 at 10:00 AM, cafemediterraneo said:

schatzki ring is associated with hiatial hernia. I have a great book about it by Dr. T. Baroody that describes this problem and self help solutions. Another tip was drinking tumeric milk 2=3 times a day to reduce inflamation. I had a friend who couldn't eat rice, which she loves ,because it would get "stuck" there. She had the surgery, so I'll ask her what her experience was....

Did your friend have surgery for Schatzki´s ring?  Do you think she would be willing to talk to me about it?  Thanks.