Chapala.com Webboard

Need to hollow out a part of a log - suggestions, help?

bdmowers

I need to hollow out a part of a log to make a beating chamber to macerate fibers for papermaking.   Anyone who has done this or has similar experience have any suggestions, or want to help?  The log piece, any tree species, should be a couple of feet in length and 10-12" in diameter.   The fastest way to hollow out a log appears to be using the tip of a chainsaw but  I don`t have one nor do I have the experience to do this.  Drilling wide holes into it with a heavy duty drill then cleaning out between the holes has some promise.  As does cutting it in half lengthwise, hollowing it out then gluing it back together but I don`t have the tools for either of these methods.   Does anyone have the tools needed that wants to help?  In return, I`ll show you how to make paper with any of a couple of dozen plants here lakeside including lirio, agave, grass, banana leaves, corn husks and leaves, etc.

The handtool you require is called an adze. Really a type of axe, and I doubt if they are expensive, but may be hard to find. Probably an internet item, but check with the Truper hardware store in Ajijic.

Hey, someone was looking for premium toilet paper, maybe you can introduce a organic, artisan made variety! Just kidding of course. Up north they are advocating resusable, washable toilet cloths that you keep in a diaper bucket.

4 minutes ago, traderspoc said:

usually use a lathe, to make a bowl shaped depression,

see interent making bowl out of log

I think that bd would be better off going to Have Hammers and have one of the kids carve out just the end of a 2 foot log and smooth the carving  for what he needs to use it for

• Like 1

4 hours ago, happyjillin said:

I think that bd would be better off going to Have Hammers and have one of the kids carve out just the end of a 2 foot log and smooth the carving  for what he needs to use it for

4 hours ago, traderspoc said:

usually use a lathe, to make a bowl shaped depression,

see interent making bowl out of log

I need the entire volume vacated down to the bottom 2 inches inside the log and retaining only the outside 2 inches.  I doubt the kids would want to do that or that a lathe could do that but thanks for your suggestions.

7 hours ago, happyjillin said:

There are a few vids on youtube that might be what you're looking for.  Search "using fire to hollow a log".

I have quite throughly researched Youtube about this subject.  I may have to try the fire method.  Thanks, happyjillin.

I have also seen hollowed out logs at some of the viveros and bazaars west of Ajijic. They are supposed to be used as planters but I think they would serve your purpose. Anything else is going to be very time consuming to make even if you had the right tools.

3 hours ago, Ferret said:

I have also seen hollowed out logs at some of the viveros and bazaars west of Ajijic. They are supposed to be used as planters but I think they would serve your purpose. Anything else is going to be very time consuming to make even if you had the right tools.

Those of us that make our own things enjoy it no matter how long it takes

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Ferret said:

Ah, thanks for this, could be perfect!  I will go looking.  You`re certainly right about the DIY version.

13 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Those of us that make our own things enjoy it no matter how long it takes

I used to.  I used to make everything when I was in the States and enjoyed it - clothes, food, furniture, etc., ad nauseum. Now that help is available rather inexpensively, I find myself taking advantage of it, and am enjoying that quite a bit! Another wonderful gift from Mexico.

13 hours ago, Ferret said:

True dat! But perhaps he more enjoys the paper making process than making the tools with which to make the paper. His decision to make.

Up to now, I`ve made all my nonplastic papermaking equipment - moulds, deckles - because they can`t be found here but I just had a carpenter make some bare frames - ah, that was nice!

On 12/16/2019 at 6:33 PM, Ferret said:

Ferret, it would help me if you could be more specific about the location of 1 or 2 of the places you mentioned.  Thank you.

I am carless at the moment so I can't check for you. One location was at the Bazaar just west of the Tuesday market on the same side. The other was at the Vivero behind SuperLake.  I do not know if they are still there because I saw them six months ago.

I have been rolling the "how to" around in the back of my mind though. I do have a Porter Cable 3.0 amp Oscillating Multi-Tool with various attachments that you may BORROW. It can cut with one blade and then "chisel" out slices with another blade. I like it because of the ability to rotate the blades to the direction needed and the blades are easily changed. It will be easier than hand tools but will still take you some time. pm me.

13 hours ago, Ferret said:

I am carless at the moment so I can't check for you. One location was at the Bazaar just west of the Tuesday market on the same side. The other was at the Vivero behind SuperLake.  I do not know if they are still there because I saw them six months ago.

I have been rolling the "how to" around in the back of my mind though. I do have a Porter Cable 3.0 amp Oscillating Multi-Tool with various attachments that you may BORROW. It can cut with one blade and then "chisel" out slices with another blade. I like it because of the ability to rotate the blades to the direction needed and the blades are easily changed. It will be easier than hand tools but will still take you some time. pm me.

I sent you a PM.