Chapala.com Webboard

Berkey filters

2 hours ago, rollrcoaster said:

Anyone here use a Berkey water filtration system?  Satisfied?

Where/how do you get replacement filters, sent from Laredo?  I see Berkey does not ship to México.

TIA

Aguagente replaces filters as part of their package.

All the water you can use, great company with great service and a year is cheaper than one set of those ^^^ filters.

Message me with your contact info if you would like the rep to contact you. Refer 6 friends who sign up and your water is free.

We use Berkey and like it a lot.  We have the black filters and they only need replacing every 3 or 4 years with proper maintenance.  That gives enough time between filters to find a good friend who will mule down a set of something that looks like a bomb.  Hint:  Keep all paperwork WITH the filters in a checked bag if flying. 

41 minutes ago, cedros said:

I did. Nothing for this area. 

What do you mean "for this area?" Lab tests for a product are irrelevant to the area where you are using the product. If you mean how often the filters would need to be replaced depending on the hardness of the water, the level of bacteria that needs to be filtered out, etc. that info is all available on a Goggle search- it's part of the testing.

46 minutes ago, cedros said:

I did. Nothing for this area. 

I wouldn't expect lab testing by Berkey for the water around the lake.  What about cleaning of general water in the US which would have similar properties of water here?  Like bacteria, arsenic, heavy metals, etc.  I'm sure when they test, they put chemicals, etc into the water then test it. 

36 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

What do you mean "for this area?" Lab tests for a product are irrelevant to the area where you are using the product. If you mean how often the filters would need to be replaced depending on the hardness of the water, the level of bacteria that needs to be filtered out, etc. that info is all available on a Goggle search- it's part of the testing.

Lab test are dependent a great deal on where the water comes from. Lab tests on water from the northern US are quite irrelevant to this area . Filters alone aren't enough of course as any microbiologist will tell you.

5 hours ago, ScubaPam said:

I bought mine before moving down here with the thought that if the Apocalypse happens 🙂 I could at least get lake water and purify it and it is large enough for me to help out my neighbors too.  I have a friend that just moved down who did the same thing.  I looked into Reverse osmosis units and they can waste a lot of water in the process which is another reason I went with the Berkey.  Love the taste.   The testing is listed on their website.  You are certainly welcome to come get a sample of my water and have it tested if you want to make sure it is doing what it says it does.  Just let me know.  

On 12/14/2019 at 5:43 PM, mudgirl said:

A few years ago the water in my fraccionamiento tested positive for the dangerous pathogen Pseudomonas. What to do about it? Our water also has insoluble Calcium etc lots of Sodium and a lot of Aluminum and other things relatively difficult to get rid of by filtration only according to my chemist friend.

4 hours ago, cedros said:

A few years ago the water in my fraccionamiento tested positive for the dangerous pathogen Pseudomonas. What to do about it? Our water also has insoluble Calcium etc lots of Sodium and a lot of Aluminum and other things relatively difficult to get rid of by filtration only according to my chemist friend.

I would assume that when independent testing is done, they use a variety of pathogens, minerals and metals to ascertain how well a given product performs. It isn't necessary, for instance, to test water in a place where high levels of calcium or aluminum are found, all that's needed is to add those substances to the water that is being tested.

6 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I would assume that when independent testing is done, they use a variety of pathogens, minerals and metals to ascertain how well a given product performs. It isn't necessary, for instance, to test water in a place where high levels of calcium or aluminum are found, all that's needed is to add those substances to the water that is being tested.

Has Berkey had independent testing done? When it comes to drinking water I would not assume anything. They just seem to be pushing propaganda from their company. It has been widely accepted for years that filtration alone is not sufficient to purify water for human consumption. It would be wonderful if Berkey was correct. I suspect it is a bit of a scam.

Thanks ScubaPam I will check that link out. Lots of hype there. It isn't clear to me that the testing of their water is independent from the company