Chapala.com Webboard

Simply Tai: A little gem

Gerry

We thought that we'd give this restaurant a try even though ethnic cuisine is often not very good outside it's country of origin. What a wonderful surprise! Excellent, authentic food which was freshly prepared and pleasantly presented. This is not a pretentious place. The atmosphere is friendly and cozy. Service is prompt and friendly. The food is the focus. As it should be! The menu has plenty of choices to make your selection from. Wine is a limited choice, but mixed drinks are good. Try the mojito - I did and it was amazing! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gerry said:

Be careful about the table condiments. You are warned they are hot and the are. The menu dishes not so.

Then it's not real Thai. Even the soup is hot and so is each dish cooked that way but they all have a different flavour so that you need to wait a bit between courses because your tongue will be numb,sip a cerveza, and carry on.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

Then it's not real Thai. Even the soup is hot and so is each dish cooked that way but they all have a different flavour so that you need to wait a bit between courses because your tongue will be numb,sip a cerveza, and carry on.

That could work in a cosmopolitan city situation where there would be a number of aficionados among a very large population base for this, but not here. They would soon be out of business. I myself like very spicy and exotic cuisine but I know for a fact that most here are on the conservative side regarding this. 

"But many traditional Thai dishes don't have any heat, like kuai-tiao nam (a clear pork-based broth), kao mun gai (chicken and rice), and, yes, pad Thai (you can add your own chili flakes, but it shouldn't knock you on your ###)."

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/eating-thai-food

3 hours ago, happyjillin said:

That’s absolutely ridiculous... all Thai food is NOT spicy... and if spicy like curries and larbs they vary and may or may not be really spicy.  Pad Thai is a bland dish that one adds spices to.  There are always condiments on the table in Thai restaurants.... chiles inc fresh or in vinegar, sauce, fish sauce, etc.  This is exactly the way it is done in Thailand.  Thais will ask for their level of spice.  I have Thai friends who can’t take spicy hot.  Perhaps you are talking about eating at a friend’s home in Thailand where they love 🥵?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Having recently returned from a six week culinary and beach trip to Thailand ,including several cooking classes I have to laugh at the idea that all authentic Thai cuisine is blistering hot . Like many countries Thai cooking is regional and while most Thai people do seem to prefer their food highly spiced many dishes are spiced individually at the table .Almost all the restaurants we visited ,even local non English speaking used a zero to five chile visual aid on the menu to indicate your required level of spice .The five chile level is way too hot for most “ farangs “ We were happy with the two chile option most of the time .

I agree with Ian  the food in Thailand can be very regional especially in the north where you get further away from the ocean and its fresh fish.  There is a significant number of Indians (from India) in the country and there are many Indian restaurants.  Surprisingly some of the best tacos I ever got was there so you never know. A lot of the meat is water buffalo which if prepared properly is good.  Like Mexico they eat a lot of chicken.

On 12/2/2019 at 8:29 AM, happyjillin said:

The food is authentic. It's not "hot" to me but that does not mean that some people find Tau food hot.

On 12/2/2019 at 8:29 AM, happyjillin said: