Chapala.com Webboard

Dog urine smell

My senior dog is incontinent.  Pees on floors of unglazed tile.

Internet search recommends special enzyme products to eliminate urine smell.  How effective are these?  Are they available locally?  Where?  Does anyone have any other ideas?

I think he is too old to be retrained or disciplined.

42 minutes ago, bajandy said:

My senior dog is incontinent.  Pees on floors of unglazed tile.

Internet search recommends special enzyme products to eliminate urine smell.  How effective are these?  Are they available locally?  Where?  Does anyone have any other ideas?

I think he is too old to be retrained or disciplined.

No, they don't work. Been there, tried everything including bottle after bottle of the enzymatic products and the urine smell remains, esp. on porous materials.

It's a choice we make as pet owners. Often times there is no solution other than to adapt to the often bad smelling pet odors. Myself, I draw the line at cats, litter boxes, and cats in my home. Others don't seem to mind.

Try washing with a vinegar water solution. It won't take all the smell out, but it's better than only soap and water. Nature's Miracle is the brand name  of the enzyme that's suppose to neutralize dog urine. I haven't had luck with it either.

We use Odoban which used to be available at Sam's. I don't know if they still carry it. It's hospital strength disinfectant and order control. Since you have porous tile, you've got a tough problem, but these are the things I'd use.

Just a thought but worth a try. I have 3 rescue dogs and all have had various problems. Years ago I found Dr. Pepe in Riberas and he has done many milagros with them including getting Minnie back on her feet after a bad arthritic condition that devolved into her not being able to walk. I give her anti inflammatory pill daily from him and she is doing quite well. Maybe there is some medication for your dogs condition. I hope so. 

You might want to try Clorox Urine Remover for stains & odors.  Works on all surfaces.  I have an incontinent dog & a marking dog.  Works on the urine problem....not so much on the marking.... It's not cheap but it's a big spray bottle and I used it on tile, cement , bedding and rugs.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, carol r said:

You might want to try Clorox Urine Remover for stains & odors.  Works on all surfaces.  I have an incontinent dog & a marking dog.  Works on the urine problem....not so much on the marking.... It's not cheap but it's a big spray bottle and I used it on tile, cement , bedding and rugs.

This product is outstanding in our opinion. There is a large bottle and a spray bottle combo available at Costco which is not much more than buying a single spray bottle here. It also works on blood stains, we found, as long as you don't use something else on the stain first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gimpychimp said:

This product is outstanding in our opinion. There is a large bottle and a spray bottle combo available at Costco which is not much more than buying a single spray bottle here. It also works on blood stains, we found, as long as you don't use something else on the stain first.

71+NHCAKnAL._SX466_.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/23/2019 at 10:48 PM, Taaffe said:

Solution of one cup white vinegar  half cup baking soda dash If dish  soap mixed in 4 cups water

it works

This is the best concoction for odors. Even gets out the spray of skunk! 

• Thanks 1