Chapala.com Webboard

What's all the digging up the Carretera about?

Arjay

Well some people get handicapped after they move here and many people in Mexico are handcapped and are prisoners.. Tom Gates just said what some other people think but shows he has no clue as Tom said once you are in a car it is not easy to get nto a store unless you go to Walmart.. He deserves to have to cope for a week not beeing to walk and then he can give others advice. My husband could not get into our local store because of slope and steps, it is not nearly as easy as one would think and we own a car..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Let's not get personal.

Truthfully, when I am asked about the suitability of this area for the handicapped I do not recommend it.  Mexico is light years behind the U.S. and Canada when it comes to providing safe and accessible means of getting around for the handicapped.  Flame me if you like but that won't change the reality of it.

True enough but that does not mean, one who is disabled should give up. I was born disabled and struggled through many barriers fighting for the same rights and function others take for granted. I could not feed nor dress myself until after 10 years of age. Along the way I improved some access regulations and even a city and taught many people who can't walk to ride horses up into the mountains. I'm still going.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, timjwilson said:

True enough but that does not mean, one who is disabled should give up. I was born disabled and struggled through many barriers fighting for the same rights and function others take for granted. I could not feed nor dress myself until after 10 years of age. Along the way I improved some access regulations and even a city and taught many people who can't walk to ride horses up into the mountains. I'm still going.

I don't disagree.  If you can get improvements in this area you will be a very welcome addition indeed.  I just can't see given the way the streets and sidewalks are here how this place could ever be remotely handicapped friendly.  On top of that the streets and sidewalks have gone down steadily in the soon to be 13 years we've been here making the town even more hazardous to the handicapped. 

It doesn't have to be this way but it seems the Chapala government doesn't pay much attention to anything west of Chapala itself these days.  Just got back from Mazamitla, it is such a pleasure to see what a well run municipio that has heavy tourism looks like with clean streets in good repair and much more handicapped friendly.  It serves as a good reminder not everywhere in Mexico is run so poorly.

You are absolutely right about that missing part of the bike path, I can't imagine how you could negotiate that stretch on a mobility scooter.  I admire your persistence but fear for your life doing this.  When the traffic is light they come off those rumble topes over the hill at speeds that could take your life.

Don't forget that Mazamitle is a Pueblo Mágico and as such gets state funds for improvements to sidewalks, etc.  Chapala doesn't deserve PM status, nor does Ajijic.  But I'm not sure it's only a matter that Ajijic is the step-child of Chapala.  I think the government has been run so poorly by it's past corrupt presidents  that there simply hasn't been enough money to go around where it's needed.  When the electorate gets tired of this use of their taxes, they will do something about it.  But corruption is so ingrained in Mexico that nationals don't feel empowered to change things.  It's a tough situation for everyone.

• Thanks 1

I think that some folks here are getting their their panties or tightly whities in a wad. Have seen this and it is a trench that someone here saw an orange conduit at the bottom of for wiring...maybe telephone, Internet of other. Getting rid of unsightly, dangerous poles and above ground wiring is a good thing. Much as I hate to admit, government sometimes gets it right!