Chapala.com Webboard

Confrontation at the Topes

lakeside7

This lunch time a angry Gringo was shouting and waving his arms around like crazy at the Central American Refugees/Asylum seekers begging   for money at the Topes at La Canisita ...and suggesting they go and find work!!!.  What is also interesting they are at the Topes in Chapala adjacent to the Immigration office ..so I guess they must have some kind of papers that  allows  them to stay. 

It never ceases to amaze me to observe or hear about expats who bitterly complain about these migrants, as the person described in this comment did. The expats here nearly all have vastly more wealth, power, and opportunities than these unfortunate people. The migrants are, in fact, only trying to better their lives and are suffering danger and privation to do it. People like the person described should be ashamed of themselves and, if they are not, then the people around them should shame them.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, cookj5 said:

It never ceases to amaze me to observe or hear about expats who bitterly complain about these migrants, as the person described in this comment did. The expats here nearly all have vastly more wealth, power, and opportunities than these unfortunate people. The migrants are, in fact, only trying to better their lives and are suffering danger and privation to do it. People like the person described should be ashamed of themselves and, if they are not, then the people around them should shame them.

Geez, give us a break ! Take your BS somewhere else. You know nothing about what type of people they are. My Mexican friends say they are trash. I think they know much better than you .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 9

52 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

Geez, give us a break ! Take your BS somewhere else. You know nothing about what type of people they are. My Mexican friends say they are trash. I think they know much better than you .

Jim Bowie, good lord, what are you talking about?  Ok, your neighbor says they are trash, even if your neighbor is Mexican, that is not ok.  Does he know them, personally?  I haven´t seen the ones up by La Canacita yet, but the ones I have seen in Chapala look almost African black, as in, nada mulato.  Café negro sin azúcar ni leche.  I thought they looked Haitian, but some people have said they are from Honduras or Nicaragua.  Jim Bowie, just because they are poor and black, do you still want to say they are trash?  My goodness!  Have some humanity and give the guys a break.  They also deserve to live decently and feed their children!  Regardless of their skin color!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

Do they pay for visas like all other expats? There are Mexicans I give my money to. As a Mexican/American I don't want this trash in either country. They are not a benefit. However if they wanted to work they can work for the private berry fields near Jocotepec. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 6

9 hours ago, cookj5 said:

Right.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, vetteforron said:

Do they pay for visas like all other expats? There are Mexicans I give my money to. As a Mexican/American I don't want this trash in either country. They are not a benefit. However if they wanted to work they can work for the private berry fields near Jocotepec. 

They aren't "expats"- they are refugees. Calling people you don't even know "trash" is despicable. It says much more about you than it does about them. And no, they can't legally work in this country. If they did, you'd probably be ranting about them working without work permits.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

First they are not refugees. They are not leaving a war torn country. They are people who have decided that they do not like the life where they are from. Many are traveling illegally.

Recently at the southern Mexico border there people from Africa trying to get into Mexico to head to enter the Us illegally.Many do not have valid identification. hey have been rioting on the southern border. 

Mexico is now limiting the entry. Most Mexicans that I know do not want them here taking resources that could better be used to help Mexican poor. 

Why they are in Chapala is a mystery. The route north comes nowhere near Chapala. Maybe they have found that free money is easier here, and called their friends to tell them. Yes they have cell phones. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mudgirl said:

They aren't "expats"- they are refugees. Calling people you don't even know "trash" is despicable. It says much more about you than it does about them. And no, they can't legally work in this country. If they did, you'd probably be ranting about them working without work permits.

Tell me where you live so I can send these reffugees to your home. How many can you care for? Please take them into your home. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 6

9 hours ago, vetteforron said:

Tell me where you live so I can send these reffugees to your home. How many can you care for? Please take them into your home. 

What a bizarre response. They aren't in your home, they are simply asking for money. Why does that disturb you so much? Why not just ignore it?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

First they are not refugees. They are not leaving a war torn country. They are people who have decided that they do not like the life where they are from.

Okay, call them migrants, then. It takes a bit more than deciding you "don't like the life where you are from" to uproot yourself and your family, without money, without a vehicle, with nothing but what you can carry, and take your chances on finding and being accepted in a new place. 

Neither you nor I have any idea what kind of existence these people are escaping. I'm sure it's not pretty and I doubt any of us here have had to experience what they have, so I wouldn't presume to pass judgement on the reasons they have left their homelands. You can bet it's not because they can have a higher standard of living on their social security check and investment income, go out for dinner several times a week, and be able afford a maid and a gardener.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Heem said:

Ron, If I know someone looking for care for a family member, I will be sure to let them know you appear to lack compassion. A trait that would appear to be essential in a care giver.

I am the type of person which will tell it like I see it. I am a person which believes in life. We will always do well with or without your help. How many of the so called refugees are you taking into your home? Hummm!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, vetteforron said:

I am the type of person which will tell it like I see it. I am a person which believes in life. We will always do well with or without your help. How many of the so called refugees are you taking into your home? Hummm!

Yeah. Because no one should lift a finger to help another human if they would not be able to bring that person to live with them?  Do you also tell your residents and their families “the way it is” in the same cold, uncaring way as you do here? 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3