Chapala.com Webboard

Canadian Cell phone

Alpha1

6 minutes ago, John Shrall said:

Search this forum using the word Telcel and you'll find a thread indicating this is a known issue with Telcel. It's sporadic so one call may fail but the next one connects.

This can be problematic, since I'm trying to connect with medical issues.

https://www.chapala.com/webbaord/index.php?/topic/85003-telcel-calls-to-us-not-connecting/&tab=comments#comment-630943

Thank you John.

I have the same problem, these days, when using my Telmex landline to phone a Seattle landline phone. The person receiving my call from Mexico can hear me, but I can not hear him. And that is landline to landline.  I have never had this problem before. I hope it goes away.

Sometimes I have had to call three times before I can hear the person at the other end. And the person at the other end, who can hear me, thinks I am pulling a prank, which, of course, I am not.

Oh well. I could always use my VOIP phone if I had to.

1 hour ago, freewilly said:

Install skype on your phone. Then you can call using data for free, if the other party has skype, or you can call them directly for a couple of cents per minute.

Unfortunately I am dealing with a very elderly parent in Canada that has difficulty with any tech. The flip phone I got him is simple, it rings, you open it and say hello.

610s61NItXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The OP says the call connects so what they dial is working.

What they do not understand from my mention of skype is that you CAN CALL ANY NUMBER and the other party answers just like they were getting a normal phone call. It just costs you a few cents a minute....I have been doing this for years in MX when I did not get a MX cell phone.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, freewilly said:

What they do not understand from my mention of skype is that you CAN CALL ANY NUMBER and the other party answers just like they were getting a normal phone call. It just costs you a few cents a minute....I have been doing this for years in MX when I did not get a MX cell phone.

I have been using Skype for decades, however I would like to use Telcel to call when using a cellphone.

Uh, Alpha 1 is the OP.  If you have certain plans with both Telcel  and Telmex, ALL calls to Canada or the U.S. or anywhere within Mexico ARE free and unlimited.

When they weren't, I also used the computer for calls but, hey, there's no point doing that when you can just pick up a damn phone.

Remember that when phoning a US or Canadian 800 # from Mexico, we must pay a long distance fee, between here and the US boarder, which was something like 60 cents per minute a few years back. It is only free to phone, say Costco, Seattle when we phone a local number, you know,  001-206-622-3136. But should you be phoning their 800 number, you will be charged  a long distance fee between where you are in Mexico to the US Boarder where the 800 fee meant for free calling in Canada and the US only, starts working.

It doesn't make sense, but that's how it works

On 10/29/2019 at 12:59 PM, freewilly said:

I think most people know that Skype can be used for phone calls. The issue here is that we are paying for a plan or paquete which is supposed to be letting us make free calls to the US and Canada, but that service isn't working properly.

Thanks

the OP said

This can be problematic, since I'm trying to connect with medical issues.

Then they said my suggestion was not good because their relative could not use a computer.

Then they said they use skype all the time.

Yeah, sometime trying to help folks is wasted effort.

But we all try, dont we?

A lot of assumptions made there freewilly. The OP wants to use the cell with is his father who is very old, hard of hearing and does have medical issues. His father does not know how to use a computer. That does not preclude the OP from communicating via skype with others who are computer savvy.

• Like 1