Chapala.com Webboard

Porting Majic Jack to ilox

SunFan

2 hours ago, bournemouth said:

Does ILOX support NOB numbers?  The possibility of ILOX offering such a number was mentioned in very early days but, to my knowledge, nothing ever came of the idea.  If I could port my Vonage number over, I would be delighted BUT -----

That appears to be what Tom is suggesting....

I think that, If you have a VOIP phone, like Magic Jack, Vonage or Ooma, you simply need to plug its box into an ethernet port of your internet modem.  Nothing else needs to be done. The phone number that you established in the USA or Canade, with your Ooma, or other VOIP unit, will then ring when called.  Porting would only be used to move a Telmex number to Ilox, for example. From the VOIP box, you may connect by either wire or wireless (if available from that box) any phones you wish.  If your house is wired for phones in several rooms, but is now disconnected from Telmex, you may even plug your house's phone wiring into the VOIP box, and have phone service at every jack in the house.  It will work as long as you have functional internet service. 

I am quite interested in seeing how this plays out. I can see MJ charging you to release the number for your own use, but I really can't see how a US or CDN (or for that matter, any other country) number can function without some kind of support from a phone company. Unless the second POTS line in the back of the modem is also a VOIP and the number can be ported that way and work... anyway, we'll find out soon enough, I guess.

On the other hand, I didn't know iLox had a "telecom" site.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

SNIP...............but I really can't see how a US or CDN (or for that matter, any other country) number can function without some kind of support from a phone company. 

CG, on several occasions over the years I have just brought my VoIP telephone adapter (ATA) down to  Mexico and plugged it into a modem or router off that modem and had my US phone # work instantly. No intervention asked or needed from my VoIP provider. That is how Vonage works too... I don't think one has to tell them anything about where one is really located. The one exception is the 911 service. It would work but show your US address.

I plan on doing the same thing in a couple of weeks....

• Like 1

RickS, you have to read the whole thread. The OP is trying to take the "number from MJ" and have it as a second incoming line with iLox. He doesn't want to continue paying MJ or Vonage or any other VOIP phone charges. I don't think it can be done.

I'm sure all of us have moved with VOIP Canadian or American phone numbers and just plugged it into the new modem and it works just fine BUT I don't think that you can get around the cost per month that having a Canadian or American number entails.

Right, just got the information. This other doohickey RickS refers to... Callcentre or something? Sounds good.

4 hours ago, SunFan said:

MJ didn't suggest a charge would be involved. They kindly said they regretted losing me as a customer.

Lets see what happens when ilox is asked to port a Canadian number. I haven't cancelled MJ yet.

SunFan

Well that would be interesting, because they charge for everything else. Eg: You want a Canadian number renewed? 10 bucks for the Cdn renewal (even though you already have the number), 10 bucks for the service renewal, and the yearly MJ price on top of that.

4 hours ago, RickS said:

CG, on several occasions over the years I have just brought my VoIP telephone adapter (ATA) down to  Mexico and plugged it into a modem or router off that modem and had my US phone # work instantly. No intervention asked or needed from my VoIP provider. That is how Vonage works too... I don't think one has to tell them anything about where one is really located. The one exception is the 911 service. It would work but show your US address.

I plan on doing the same thing in a couple of weeks....

Right, but that's what VOIP does; that's how it works. Those devices are already set up in hardware to do that as soon as they see Internet.

3 hours ago, bournemouth said:

I just received a note from Tech Support at Ilox - only national numbers can  be ported, not foreign numbers.  They apparently do have the ability to provide a US number but you would have no control over what number you would be assigned.

Sounds like that ends my hope of saving my Canadian number. I think I'll just bail on MJ.

SunFan

On 11/4/2019 at 3:59 PM, SunFan said:

Sounds like that ends my hope of saving my Canadian number. I think I'll just bail on MJ.

SunFan

You do have a choice.... instead of porting your number to iLOX, start using a VoIP service... like Vonage but not them because they are too expensive. There are others that are very cheap with very little upfront cost.

But first you would want to go to the link below and see if your number can be ported. If it can let me know and I'll proceed with the saga.

RickS

Note:  The VoIP service you could use, among others, is CallCentric.com  I've been a VoIP customer of another 'carrier' for over 15 years but recently changed to them. "Tom" recommended them. I will be implementing a friend's switch from Vonage to CallCentric in a couple of weeks.

But first see if your number can be ported by going to:   https://www.callcentric.com/lnp/

• Thanks 1

For those of you who might be starting anew, try Google Voice with https://www.obitalk.com/info/googlevoice

I have had a Google Voice number from the very beginning of Google Voice and never used it.

A year or so ago, I saw a video on You Tube and bought this Obitalk.

It has worked great, bith incoming and outgoing calls.

They even send you an e-mail whenever your intenet connection cuts out.

It was thru obitalk sending me upwards of a dozen e-mails an hour over several days that my internet connection had been lost that i knew that your favorite and minr internet porovider was in error when they told me that if there was any problem, it was on my end.

Try Google Voice and Obitalk.

I think you'll like it.