Chapala.com Webboard

Porting Majic Jack to ilox

SunFan

I've seen this topic posted weeks ago, buried in a long thread but damned if I can find it.

Can anyone advise on the procedure? My Majic Jack number expires in three weeks and the renewal cost is $50 USD which pays a few months of ilox service. 

TIA

SunFan

10 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

There is no "porting", SunFan. It just works the same way. Either plugged into the USB jack on your computer, or directly into the modem LAN port.

I wasn't clear. I want to port the Majic Jack phone number over to ilox as my second ilox number.

SunFan

No, you cannot do that. MJ's proprietary routing for VOIP is strictly theirs. (Plus, your MJ number is based on the technology that connects it to a US or Canadian number specifically.)On the other hand, I'm not sure what you mean by "second iLox number". The MJ number is always going to be the same, so it is always going to be a "second number". It provides the added benefit of always working no matter who's modem it is plugged into. Feel free to give me a call if I'm missing something here.

Pretty sure that will not work with a VOIP provider, because it is designed to work from your chosen city, so people can call you for free, via their international system, and iLox doesn't have that. But size or not, I am happy to be proven wrong. I guess contacting them directly is the best way to find out.

(Personally? I dropped the MJ many moons ago, and I use all the other Internet tools at my disposal, as do my kids, my brothers, and my friends. FaceTime, Facebook video, WhatsApp chat and video, Skype chat and video... the list goes on and on, and it's all free once you have Internet.)

CG I agree about moving on from MJ. Based on what is available today that is archaic. I moved on from that years ago. Marginally decent at the time for me and provided a US contact if one was close to a router. 

(Yes, I know that I will get a ton of, "well mine works fine and I love it" comments. That's OK too as it is whatever floats one's boat.

Again, I see your reasoning, but have to disagree, unless you are talking business like banks and such, then sure. EVERYTHING is free with these other options, and I'm sure everyone is capable of adding a country code, since we already have to add an area code in Canada.

However, we are not here to debate the benefits or otherwise. I want to hear what Magic Jack says. In the end, if you plug it into your iLox modem, it is going to work the same way it did on your TelMex modem. If you are looking to have just one number for everything, and I assume that precludes your cell phone, then only Magic Jack can tell you.

You're saying your Vonage works properly, with the Vonage number, plugged into the iLox VOIP jack on the back of their modem? Well, that is an interesting answer. I'm not sure how a VOIP setting can convert itself into another VOIP setting, under the control of a completely different network, but I guess it's possible.

However, while good to know, that doesn't answer the original question.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

You're saying your Vonage works properly, with the Vonage number, plugged into the iLox VOIP jack on the back of their modem? Well, that is an interesting answer. I'm not sure how a VOIP setting can convert itself into another VOIP setting, under the control of a completely different network, but I guess it's possible.

However, while good to know, that doesn't answer the original question.

https://www.vonage.com/personal/features/enhanced-call-forwarding

4 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

If you are looking to have just one number for everything, and I assume that precludes your cell phone, then only Magic Jack can tell you.

To clarify, as I understand it, iLox offers subscribers two phone lines. I wanted to port my existing Telmex number to one and my existing Majic Jack number to the second line.

That is if I live long enough to experience installation.

I'll call Majic Jack and post their response.

SunFan

• Haha 1

Painfully I got confirmation from MJ that I can port the Canadian phone number I've been using for eight years over to ilox. I can finally dump MJ which has gotten quite expensive over the past few years. Telmex's dial-up grade service here in Chula Vista also made it sometimes difficult to use. 

I just changed my MJ password over to a six digit PIN anticipating the port.

The savings will go a long way for ilox billing.

SunFan

I'm still a little confused.... sometimes a normal situation for me.... about just what is going to be the results of this action. You will have, with your iLOX fiber, two phone numbers with two phones?  One a Lakeside Telmex # and the other another a Canadian phone #?

There are two RJ11 phone ports.... that look sort of like a small ethernet port.... on the fiber modem they provide? In addition to one (or two?) RJ45 ethernet connection? And you will end up with one phone on the old Telmex # and yet another physical phone on the old Canadian #?

Ilox modem do have two RJ11 phone ports and they will give you a 2nd US or MX Voip number if you request it.  A US VOIP number on another carrier like MJ is probably portable to Ilox. 

You probably need to register an account on https://clientes.iloxtelecom.com/IloxTelecom/Login.aspx

2 hours ago, RickS said:

I'm still a little confused.... sometimes a normal situation for me.... about just what is going to be the results of this action. You will have, with your iLOX fiber, two phone numbers with two phones?  One a Lakeside Telmex # and the other another a Canadian phone #?

My  objective is to have my Telmex 376 exchange land-line number and my former MJ Canadian phone number on two separate wireless phone sets in my house connected to the ilox modem.

Tom says there are two phone jacks on the bg modem. Hope that helps RickS.

SunFan

2 hours ago, RickS said:

3 minutes ago, SunFan said:

Tom says there are two phone jacks on the bg modem. Hope that helps RickS.

SunFan

Yes I saw... but he said a "US" phone number and he also said "probably".  I don't know what the 'register an account' means but maybe it's a good idea.  Good luck.